Software
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_affortunato

Need advice for master bath design

9 years ago


This is the plan for our master bath. Our vanity is measured at 6 feet. The entire bath itself is 10 x9. I was wondering if having a tower between the double sink vanity would be a good idea for extra storage or if it will make the area feel small/tight. I'm assuming perhaps it matters where the sinks are positioned.


Also, we were thinking of doing wainscoting around the bottom portion of the room about 36inches up the wall, then wall paper over painted sheet rock on the top half. For the floor, marble with a marble apron in front of the tub. Then, granite for counter tops and tiles for in the bath.


This is our very first home purchase and also reno, so we are quite green. Anyyyyyyyy help or suggestions would be appreciated. I want to be sure we are using proper materials that will of course withstand being around water/moisture and of course, cleaners.

Comments (16)

  • 9 years ago

    You might consider tile as your wainscotting, just given moisture concerns, but I'm sure more informed folks will chime in.

  • 9 years ago

    I was wondering about the moisture as well and have started to do some research on it. I love the look soooooooooo much and it seems as if it can be done, if done correctly. I don't want to invest in something that might not work best in the bathroom. My biggest concern at the moment is whether or not a 72" vanity is large enough for tower in the middle. lol. Baby steps.

  • 9 years ago

    The code requires the distance from center of sink to the wall or tall obstacle should be no less than 15 inches. Recommended is 20 inches. Hope this helps.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    okay, thank you. The tower is out then. Makes complete sense. I have seen some beautifully done medicine cabinets so perhaps I can do them to be over each sink without looking like they are medicine cabinets. Thank you so much for responding. My next question is with the wainscoting.....I've seen it in many bathrooms but am concerned with putting it in a bathroom. Should this be something to steer clear of?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Lisa, congrats on the new home! and project. for a 60" vanity the tower will be squeezed . The sinks will be centered leaving not much space, I think it will make the vanity area look smaller, so just something to think about, but not impossible. As for the wallpaper I would worry about humidity getting behind the paper and trapping mold and coming off the wall. Maybe a fun paint color instead? Otherwise the layout looks good and functional. Enjoy!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    As acm said above, tile would be the best wainscot by far. It doesn't have to match but should be coordinated with the floor tile.

  • 9 years ago

    thank you so much everyone. I really love the wainscoting idea and not using tile. :(

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    It is doable. : )

    Ballard Bath · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    omgosh. Wait. a tower in between! and it looks great. Okay so maybe I'll start with the purchase of the vanity . then later on we can always add the tower.
  • 9 years ago

    I don't know if this is possible but I absolutely love having our sinks in the master bath separate. We just bought our house and I always thought 2 sinks were dumb but now I love how they. The picture isn't the best as its from the previous listing but wanted to give you a visual.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Two sinks and a tower on 6' vanity space not my first choice. I would have to be very thin. The one pictured above is very nice, but as I look at that, it appears there are 3 - 3' cabinets so that is 9'. With 9' vanity this works. Measure, measure, measure! You need at least a 24" base cabinet for a small undermount sink. Two of those and you have used 4' of your 6' that leaves 2' in the middle 24" in between two sinks is tight, so putting something permanent on it might not be best choice. Can you do it? Possibly, depending on your ceiling height. Suggest you stack up boxes in the shape of your vanity size and see if that helps you visualize your "volume" of this concept.

  • 9 years ago

    We just did a bathroom master remodel. We eliminated the tub, put in a nice large shower. Separate vanities instead of one long one with two bowls. And the best....a separate toilet room! Your space is doable for all of these, we had a limited space and it worked. Consider different size vanities (same style) H has a 24 inch size, I have the 36 inch. We also installed a mirrored recessed medicine cabinet for storage.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Good thoughts. Any photos you could share?

  • 9 years ago
    oh no I don't know how to visualize changing the space for separate vanities even though I love that idea .my husband really wants the tub
  • 9 years ago

    Look for a decorative shelving unit to hang on the wall. Pretty bath accessories or baskets can hide necessities without crowding your counter space.