Software
Houzz Logo Print
bri_kramer

Hearth Removal on Gas Fireplace?

9 years ago

Has anyone done this that can give me some tips?

I'd like to go from this:

To this:


Fireplace is gas.


Anything will help :)

Comments (12)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Is it a prefab wood burning fp with gas logs or strictly gas? Knowing the make and model would be helpful. In any event, I don't see there being any major obstacles to just demoing the raised hearth (hopefully the brick was there BEFORE the ledge was installed!), but would need to see it up close and know the answers to the above questions.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    It's not hard, it's noisy. but the hearth isn't "solid" theres some framing underneath. Since I suggested this on your other post, consult a contractor, and or a mason. It's simply a case of needing some brick facing at the firebox front. And primer and paint: )

    Appears to have been done well after the flooring/original build....my bet is there is hardwood underneath.Looks like it was a home joe thing to start. Very glad you chose to ditch it.

    [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/whole-house-paint-help-dsvw-vd~4396720[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/whole-house-paint-help-dsvw-vd~4396720)

  • 9 years ago
    Hey guys!

    Thanks so much for all the help!!

    After researching prefab vs. masonry fireplaces I am thinking it's a masonry fireplace only due to the chimney. Attached is a photo from when the chimney crown was removed.

    I'm a newbie at these things so maybe the chimney alone does not mean it's masonry?

    We also have concrete slab and no basement, not sure if that means anything.

    Jan, thank you! I'm sure it's like everything that has been done in this house: homeowner's too cheap to do things right. Our contractor and electrician are constantly amazed at what these guys tried to do themselves.
  • 9 years ago
    Also- it has a key for gas.
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you @tatts, since there is water damage on the hardwood we plan to replace completely. Will this still be a problem? (Like I said, I'm a total newb)

  • 9 years ago
    IF THE LEDGE was installed first (most likely), you must consult with a professional. You have to find out the structural support for this ledge.
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you @nmp19. If it is structural support, does it have to stay?

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    If it is structural support, it will have to be replaced if you remove it. They may be able to prop it temporarily and install the replacement, or they may say it cannot be taken out.

    Making the fireplace look like the photo is fairly easy: just remove the (absolutely horrible) mantel, paint the brick white, and use heat-resistant spray paint to paint the brass black. I think that once that is done, the Biggest Hearth in the World will not be such an eyesore.

    I'm curious: are you wanting to expand the windows? That will require new headers and removing the DIY built-ins.

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you so much Lydia! The mantel, built ins, and even the screen have already been removed.

    It would be amazing to expand the windows, but is not in our budget at this point.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I don't think you have to expand the windows to get the look you want. I love the white-on-white with wood look (which you will probably see a lot of if you look at my 'Organized Spaces' idea book). People are afraid of white because they think it will look boring, but if you opt for a warm (not yellow) white, it will really make the space bright and cozy.

    I'm excited to see the 'after' pictures. I think it will look amazing!

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    It's nothing more than a gas insert, paced into what was probably originally wood burning. You can relax, the raised hearth is dependent on none of it...and you are freed. I wouldn't make a night of worry.. You have inspectors in California...I'm sure the house passed.