Software
Houzz Logo Print
cbrichards

Hubby said NO

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago


Please see my floor plan below. Builder put tile in foyer, kitchen and breakfast area. Carpet is in rest of house. I wanted to remove tile and replace with wood look tile in public areas and leave rest carpet. Hubby says no to removing tile due to mess and expense. He is open to changing out carpet. What should I do with family room to make us both happy? House is only a year old so tile looks good.

Comments (13)

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    You should do absolutely nothing, until the carpet turns to total crap. Which it will. Then, you should bite the bullet if possible and do an engineered hardwood in the kitchen/breakfast/family room. Why? Because the cost of a DECENT edge to edge carpet will approach or be same as the hardwood, and will disintegrate over a far shorter time. .... and then you will carpet AGAIN. The hardwood will possibly outlast your forever marriage? Nobody wants the edge to edge carpet, the entire broadloom industry knows that. It explains the multitude of amazing textures and patterns that now abound in any good carpet store. They are being cut/ bound into area rugs! The broadloom carpet industry knows that too. They KNOW they are up against the hard flooring and will end in extinction without a new way to entice customers! The only person, who does not know this.........is hubby: )

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    i'd live with it for another year or so at least.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I would be changing the carpet to wood not wood look tile but real wood carpet is so yucky in living spaces

  • 9 years ago

    Leave it. What's the big difference between the tile & "wood look " tile? They both look like tile to me. I'd save my money for now & replace the carpet with real hardwood in a few years.

  • 9 years ago

    Do you have to walk through BR 2 to get to master? That would bother me more than carpet/tile

  • 9 years ago

    Jck910. There's a separate door to that room. Looks like they turned into craft room with a door from master added.

    i would replace carpet with hardwood.

  • 9 years ago

    The tile is fine. I would hardwood where the carpet is. If the carpet is new - it sounds like a new house, I would wait a while. It is a good idea to be in a home for several months to decide what you want, though I see the advantage of changing flooring before you move in your furniture.

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you for all your thoughts. I guess I am jumping on the opportunity to make changes in the week I have before furniture arrives. I like the idea of changing carpet to real wood. I just wasn't sure if the tile to wood would look choppy. No. I don't have to go through bedroom 2 to get to master. Builder offers the door between master and 2 as an option so you can make it sitting room, office etc
  • 9 years ago

    Personally, if I have carpet at all in a house it's only in bedrooms. Tile for laundries, bathrooms, and maybe kitchens, wood for the rest. I sure wouldn't bother changing perfectly good tile out for more tile.

  • 9 years ago
    We are putting wood look tile in new home, it is gorgeous! Carpet in bedrooms. But, I would live with what you have a while longer- eventually you two will agree.
  • 9 years ago

    going to have kids? I'd leave the carpet for awhile, at least until it's worn- much nicer to fall on LOL.

  • 9 years ago
    Actually already raised 3 girls. We are downsizing so I can visit them more often, travel and have more fun. I am trying to lead a much simpler life