Software
Houzz Logo Print
nwall

need help for small entryway

9 years ago

We recently purchased a smaller home. The entryway is very tiny and opens directly onto the stairs. We have a small recessed area (4 feet wide by 7 inches deep)


behind the front door that I do not know what to do with. The slanted angle of the living room wall due to the stairway also makes decorating a challenge for me. I have included 2 photos (one shows a paint color swatch I am thinking of painting the room). Any decorating advice is appreciated!

Comments (12)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I love the idea of built-in storage and/or display as Lynn suggested, but if that's not in the budget right now, I would consider adding a shoe cabinet for shoes and wall hooks above it to hold coats and scarves. A narrow tray or basket on top of the cabinet could be the place to drop keys and gloves.

  • 9 years ago

    Do you need a shelf and hooks for coats?

    I can't see the paint sample you are considering.

  • 9 years ago

    I agree with Lynn. I like all those examples.

  • 9 years ago

    Do you need any storage there, for jackets gloves sunglasses? Shoes? If not, and it's just for decorative purposes, then a small shallow curved console table (that the doorknob won't hit and that your hips won't bang as you come down the stairs) and a nice piece of artwork above. It's practically part of the LR so you want it to look nice.

  • 9 years ago

    These are good ideas. I would also suggest a more interesting color for the inside of the door.

  • 9 years ago

    I would put a small narrow table and either a mirror or a piece of art above it.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I would normally suggest a mirror there, but I think it could be susceptible to breakage. I also think that Lynn's suggestion, while good, would add too much eye clutter to such a small, well-travelled area. I like the idea of an accent color, of maybe a fantastic wallpaper, with a large, simple canvas painting you could probably custom paint yourself.

  • 9 years ago

    Or a console table/floating storage with floating shelves (or mirror) above. And I'd paint that niche a contrasting color. Depending on your style, IKEA has some nifty narrower cabinets.

    Obviously, it also depends on what you need in terms of storage/function.






    nwall thanked nosoccermom
  • 9 years ago

    A fun space for wallpaper. Then maybe a mirror with a console and lamp. I'm just repeating others ideas I guess but wanted to add another vote lol.

    nwall thanked Annette Holbrook(z7a)
  • 9 years ago

    That is such a shallow space, and I'd keep it as uncluttered as possible. Paying attention to where your doorstop is, I'd look for a large, long canvas painting to hang there but wouldn't put anything else there that would be in danger of being knocked over or hit by the door when it's fully open.

  • 9 years ago

    Smaller home? Been there. Am in a tiny vacation one now. We love it.

    How much is that door used as a genuine entry? Actually, since you say it's a smaller home, I'd decorate it strictly as a corner of the living room anyway--and not sacrifice a thing I wanted for that room to make the corner seem like a "foyer."

    I think built-ins are a great idea, being sure to keep generous space in the upper part open to the wall for depth. I'd also paint the built-ins a blending color so they don't "jump out" visually--an attractive and interesting place for the eye to pause before passing on, not a look-at-me! feature. Something like most of the pictures posted, amaf. :)

    nwall thanked hamamelis