Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amberk57

Ikea trash pullout

Amber Hooper
7 years ago

I'm (still) working on plans for my Ikea kitchen. I originally had two 18" trash pull outs to the left of the sink- one for trash, one for recycling. Does anyone know if just one of these will be big enough to hold both trash and recycling?

Here's what it looks like now. Could I get away with just one?

Comments (18)

• tigrangrig
    7 years ago

Two 10 gallon VARIERA bins will fit in 18" pullout

• numbersjunkie
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Yes. I have one now in my kitchen (not IKEA) and plan to do one in my IKEA kitchen under construction. BUT - I am not using the IKEA drawer as the mechanism. I ordered the same thing I have in my current kitchen - this one Hafele Pullout

• Amber Hooper
    Original Author
    7 years ago

awesome, thanks! Now I need to figure out what to put in that extra space!

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

The 18" is perfect for two bins.

• m_gabriel
    7 years ago

I fit two bins into a 15" cabinet and it works fine. I don't like a huge amount of trash sitting in the cabinets anyway. I'm not positive but pretty sure we found bins that even fit the 12" IKEA cabinet (not at IKEA, though) for a tiny trash pullout in our old house that also worked great. Remember that these pullouts are very deep.

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

m_gabriel - there was a a recent thread about the challenges of fitting two bins in an Ikea Sektion 15" pullout. There was no easy solution among those in the thread and many had to hack one together. I think it's a common problem. Where did you find bins that are small enough to fit within the 15" pullout? Are they standard kitchen height or short? I think if you found bins that will fit many people will want to know where you found them.

• m_gabriel
    7 years ago

I got the trash bins at IKEA but not in the kitchen section. I found them downstairs. FILUR is the name, 601.883.39 is the sku.

They are not tall so maybe will be a disappointment? But they do fit perfectly and the pull out slides nicely. (Re the pic: we had to put the drawer low to accommodate an electrical box but turns out we like the extra space above for trash bags, grocery bags, etc.)

I don't remember what we had in our old house in the 12" pullout. Either short baskets from Costco or we may have found tall skinny ones at Lowes.

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

I'll see if I can find that thread and link it back here. Thanks!

• tigrangrig
    7 years ago

m_gabriel,

I don't understand one thing: 15" cabinet has 13.5" internal clear dimension. The FILUR trash can is 13.75" x 10.75". How can it fit? Unless the website info is wrong.

• Buehl
    7 years ago

18" should easily fit two bins - that's what I have, although not IKEA. My cabinets are framed, so the cabinet opening width of my pullout should be less than the IKEA b/c IKEA cabinets are frameless, so if 2 bins fit in mine, they should fit in yours!

• User
    7 years ago

tigrangrig- the sides at the bottom of the Ikea pullout/drawer are rounded, so 13.5" is the max width at the bottom. The FILUR bins are wider on top than at the bottom. That's all.

• tigrangrig
    7 years ago

OK, now I understand. So 11.75" is with lid on. And with lid on the bins definitely will not fit.

But without lids it will smell, won't it?

• m_gabriel
    7 years ago

tigrangrig - in our case, we take out the particularly smelly trash right away; otherwise, the cans hold 2-3 days of trash. It's not days of stuff rotting away, lol. Part of the attraction for me of pull out trash is that you can scrape plates or wipe counter right into it. The lids on the FILUR are cute and at first I was bummed I couldn't use them but quickly realized I would have ditched the lids anyway for easier real life usage.

• nomad936
    6 years ago

Has any one had success with this one? I'm still looking for a 2 tall bins that would fit into a 15inch cabinet.

• m_gabriel
    6 years ago

IKEA has bins called FILUR that are medium high (16.5") and two fit perfectly in a 15" pull out for trash + recycling. That's what we are using and it's a good size + accommodates an inner drawer. Note that they will not fit with the lids but lids defeat the purpose of easy access trash pullout anyway. The FILUR bins are downstairs in the Marketplace area, not in the kitchen area.

• nomad936
    6 years ago
    Problem solved! Thanks everyone. Not quite sure, but I found the FLUIR bins didn't fit width wise. I ended up cutting both sides just a tad and now they fit perfectly. Note that the bins don't actually sit on the bottom of the shelve. They hover on the top rails. This might be an issue long term. The bins are 28l (7 gallons), which is a good size for our family. cheers
  • limeandlinseed
    2 years ago

For those folks who've found themselves here looking for a garbage drawer which fits a 12 inch Ikea undercounter drawer, or the void left by a trash compactor, these tall and slim 'Home Zone' dual compartment plastic bins fit for us. No need to cut down, just align them sideways. We use the smaller blue for trash and the larger black for recycling. The steel outer we use separately for garage storage. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RV55RX3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1