Software
Houzz Logo Print
jossie4

15 years ago
First time here... Can anyone give me some decor advice on my dinning/livingroom? I am at a loss. Not sure what to do becasue its a small place that has to house my family to eat and to rest. I own a small townhome. Thanks and ideas really appreciated!

Comments (26)

  • 15 years ago
    Sorry I didnt clean up before I snapped these pics!!! awful!
  • 15 years ago
    Hi, Jossie! What styles, colors and materials do you like?
  • PRO
    15 years ago
    Hi! What area of ​​the room and ceiling height?
    What style do you prefer? The room is clearly at small sizes should be light.
  • 15 years ago
    Well, you're showing how you live and that's a big help in deciding how to manage your space.

  • 15 years ago
    The way everyone likes to lounge makes me think of a sectional sofa. There are more compact versions that would fit in your living room.

    If you can change the floor in the dining area, there are some nice tile ideas that would give it some interest instead of focusing on the walls. It's probably a good idea to keep the wall color neutral and the same throughout.

    I'd also do something neat with the pass through from your kitchen. Maybe an accent tile or a beautiful cherry or teak ledge so that it becomes more useful without hogging too much space from the dining room.

    Have fun!
  • 15 years ago
    I wold start with putting crown molding to smoothen the transition from walls to the ceiling.

  • 15 years ago
    in my opinion at first you may prefer a rectangular table instead of a round table
    good luck
  • 15 years ago
    An inexpensive fix; however, a huge impact. try putting up crown molding and chair rails, you have a beautiful dining set, center it under your chandelier, I think a more modern fixture something rustic or dark wood wold look better in that space. To not spend to much money, move the two pictures from your family room and add them to the dining room. I inclosed one picture I staged to give you an ideal of pictures lighting. good luck.
  • PRO
    15 years ago
    I would do a built in along the entire wall where the tv is continue the piece with a bench for the dining room - pull the table out or the corner and in front of the new bench with the chairs. The floor needs to be changed to hardwood blond keep it light walls soft grey with white trim and new crown molding to match the builtins a sleek electric fieplace and mirrored back shlves doors for storage. The couch is great add an accent chair not too large on a swival with a fantastic fabric you need color I like the drape color maybe a few tones lighter for the chair in a durable fabric the drapes also need to be fixed too short keep them but add another fabric to the bottom do a wide floral or stripe like it was intentional change out the rod to platinum to match the new hardward on the builtin. Builtins should be white simple lines fireplace small sleek stainless insert with crystal fire. Will look amazing cost for all including floor chair paint builtin fireplace curtains etc.....about 12K

    good luck
  • 15 years ago
    If you can, smaller more compact and lighter furniture (the room looks very dark). It's hard to make out the dining size because you have focused just on the table... but the first thing I would do is to paint to brighten the area up... it needs color to add life. Hanging a bigger mirror, or leaning a large tall one against the dining room wall would help to add visually to the space, make it appear larger. You could even hang a drapery on each side to give it some depth, the mirror then giving the appearance of a window and thus opening the room up, or you could fill that wall with interesting art work or photos, making it a focal point. But the biggest thing (to me) is that it needs color! If you are renting and can't paint, use artwork and plants... the two pictures hanging next to the window by the couch are hung too high, giving the room a lopsided look.
  • 15 years ago
    Hi Jossie - everyone here has posted some excellent suggestions! May I offer a few additional ideas? The first thing I noticed was how dark, brown and un-inviting the room was. A small room can still be homey and comfortable for four people. It needs some colour and light! For minimal investment, a floor lamp by the couch and a lamp on an accent table is much preferable to harsh overhead lighting. Next, change out the curtains, a lighter - more complementary colour such as red/gold/dark green would add dimension to the room. Also, I notice that the pictures next to the couch are hung rather high - make all pictures displayed at eye level. Next, bring in some life with a ficus tree or other living plants into the room and also, a vase of fresh cut flowers is ALWAYS a plus for any room. I buy fresh flowers once a week to brighten my rooms. These suggestions are just a start but they will make the place more pleasant in the short term! :)
  • 15 years ago
    On the cheap: lower the 2 pieces of art on the right side of the window, as they are way too high compared to the piece of the other side; raise your curtain rod at least half way up to the ceiling and replace the curtain with one that reaches almost all the way to the floor; lower the television screen, not only is it already too high but your family likes to lie on the floor to watch it anyway; either get a smaller or differently shaped dining table so that you don't have to smoosh it against the wall, then hang your artwork in line with the chandelier and at eye level. Have more money to spend? Get an apartment sized sectional and repaint your walls a lighter color overall, but with a few accent walls in a bright or bold color.
  • 15 years ago
    I love all the ides everyone posted. I think to keep it cheap...paint, maybe a little more color...not too dark or bright . Also, loved the idea from above to add to the bottom of the curtain...a pattern would give the room a new look, and while at it I would raise the curtain. If you can splurge on a curtain, do a full patterned one. I just did and it makes a huge difference. Again, the dining room, move the table to center on the light. If you love the light keep it...or paint it. I did my outside lights with a spray paint and it works great! You could do something to match the curtain rod. Really simple and cheap! I like the idea of moving the art to the dining room. For the family room, either frame some family photos or better yet buy some inexpensive frames...all black and white mats and put some of the kids colorful art projects in them. It helps bring some color to the room, and easily changeable. And don't forget to center that mirror and put your artwork around it. You don't need much. This is the cheap way...If you are looking to completely renovate I say call a designer. Also, a nice way to hide the clutter on the dining room table...just put a really pretty bowl or basket in the middle. You will have a place to toss stuff into and it will not look as cluttered! That is what I do! Good luck and post pics if you make changes.
  • 15 years ago
    Hi! Some nice ideas : ) I would go a more practical design, since you have small children, stay simple. Idea one : Dont change the carpet or couches until they are bigger otherwise you will invest money into things that will be not so nice very quickly, your family would be more comfy with the carpet at the moment anyway since they seem to be playing on the floor. My idea therefore would be to paint the whole room a light grey eg wattyl snowdonia is very in at the moment matched with white skirtings and architraves. The other change needed is your window drapes, try to have a curtain on either side of the window rather than one which makes the room look quite unbalanced, a nice soft flowing fabric would soften the windows, the wall behind the couches would also look nice in grey with a white cap. The tv is good on the wall however a long white entertainment unit under the tv would look nicer that can house rattan baskets, the baskets will take away the cluttered look, house all dvds etc games, kids toys and any junk that needs to be cleared quickly. To decorate and make a statement I would choose a mirror above the current table with silver accents to it, a bit of silvery bling this adds a sense of class without having to worry about kids touching. Find a few silver or white framed pictures. Plants arent practical with kids. If you wanted to change the couches go with a nice L shaped modular couch to modernise and minimilise the furniture, a nice ottoman can act as storage also. If you can change the light shade to a more modern one eg a round rattan ball shade this would balance the 2 living areas. A buffet table under the mirror would also be nice as storage and style. Remember less is best but do the room with functionality and color and furniture consistency.
  • 15 years ago
    I agree with lowering the art work and TV. Center your dining table under the light fixture and center the mirror to the table. Ditch the blinds and curtains and use a roman shade of some kind. (scaplan's idea of raising the curtain to the ceiling is good too) A small sectional would be good. The flat TV is good and a narrower bench/console would appear to make the room a bit larger. Take a hard look at what you have in your current console and eliminate what you don't really need there. That may even allow a narrow coffee table or ottoman in front of the sofa.
  • PRO
    15 years ago
    First change that is simple and fast, remove the dark window treatment and go for a light weight fabric with some color. Get a larger and wider rod and raise it to the ceiling, hang the curtains on each side with only a small amount extending into the window. Remove all the artwork and allow the window to look larger, lighter and more grand. It is just too dark and heavy in there.
  • 15 years ago
    We asked our Facebook Fans what advice they had to offer.
    Amanda Smith Goff says:
    Pony walls...ugh! Gotta love em! A few ideas REALLY on the cheap, but will make a quick aesthetic improvement. If your table has to be pushed over, swag your light fixture to its center. Chains can be bought at any homestore.

    Hang drapes that completely cover the window wall & hang them close to the ceiling. This will free up your art for other walls & give the appearance that the window spans the entire wall.

    Always hang art at eye level so you can enjoy it.

    Have fun!
  • 15 years ago
    i suggest the following:
    instead of the tv table u have u can hang a shelf or 2, this would give u more space
    in front of the dining table put a large tall mirror
    light colors lightens the place and makes it look bigger
    use rugs to define zones (dining area, sitting area)

    Im using these tips in decorating my small apartment and i hope they help you
  • 15 years ago
    Wow! Thank you so much for your ideas!! I am so ready to fix this place up! I will definitely posts new pictures once I am done!!You all are so kind I am really thankful I did not know where to start!.
  • 15 years ago
    Introduce warm and inviting colors to the dining room. Rid of the mirror and replace with a dominating piece of art work as back drop to the table and lamp. Pull the table to the center of the room and perhaps an area rug underneath to tie the room together. For the living room, if budget permits organize all applicances and other nic-nacs into an entertainment center. Also consider a storage ottoman to put away all the kid toys. Finally fix the wall pieces to eye levels. The rest is tender loving care .. your space are hard to work with. Have fun.
  • 15 years ago
    UPDATE! I did try incorporate some of your ideas. I have still yet to lower my pictures which I will do. I added a wall of bookshelves, hung the curtain rod higher and purchased longer curtains. Can you all give me some more direction? I want it to be inviting. oh and the reason I had the table in the corner was becasue my two year old runs thru the rooms chasing the ball.
    Thanks again for all your help. I have attached some new pics of my progress
  • 15 years ago
    Thanks for the update, jossie4. We love to see the work in progress! We're putting the question out to our Facebook Fans again to see what advice they can offer now, and I know our community will come through with some helpful tips. Best of luck - it looks great so far!
  • 15 years ago
    I would suggest adding another pair of curtains to the rod. Whether or not you actually plan on closing them, they are not wide enough to properly cover the window the way that they should and so it gives them a "fake" look. They just need a little more substance. If you wanted to, you could make the white ones be the inside panels and use a colored panel for the edges, or just go for 4 white ones. Either way would be fine. Then adjust your artwork like you said and add some accessories to make it feel inviting. Everything is really neutral, so I'd just pick a pretty color and add some textured pillows to give it depth, a few shiny/sparkly items for some bling, and something with a pattern for interest. You have lots of room on your shelves, but don't start cluttering it up with things. Aside from books (which a bookshelf definitely needs!) Add a few well thought out pieces and leave some white space to allow them to be a focal point. Thanks for the updated pictures! Love it!
  • 15 years ago
    I'm amazed at how much bigger the room feels now, with the taller/longer curtains and the bookshelves! Great job! Maybe all you need now are some books for the bookshelves, and some baskets/bins so you can use it as storage without having it look too cluttered. Maybe some baskets on the bottom shelves for toys, etc. Something decorative on each of the bookcases might be nice, I would be inclined to put a globe on top of the one closest to the window.
  • 15 years ago
    Thanks for your replies i will def work on the room some more and post my pictures of the finished room. You all are truely inspiring me!
  • 15 years ago
    It really does look better, so good job! If you can afford it, I'd go with a love seat instead of a sofa, and add a small chair on the window wall, with a small table in the corner between the love seat and chair. It would make it feel more complete, and you'd have the same number of actual seats you have now. I wouldn't choose black, but some lighter neutral.