Software
Houzz Logo Print
plowman5

1914 home room Reno after earthquake

9 years ago
My friends home was damaged in a large quake and one room has to be re-wallpapered. I wondered if anyone here has some advice? I think it needs to be plain and neutral so the ceiling becomes the focal point and the eye is drawn there. She loves pattern and would like to do a different patterned wallpaper in the alcove. I can usually visualise but am struggling with this (there's a lot going on in this room!). I have included a pic of wallpaper I was drawn to but is a lot more neutral than she wanted. She wants a warmer feeling but formal. I am studying Interior design but this is way out of my league! Thanks for your time!

Comments (15)

  • 9 years ago
    I think the frieze should go too! Painting is not an option due to wall condition
  • 9 years ago

    the paper is light and has very little pattern, do not understand problem, and definitely do not understand destroying a beautiful frieze like that!

  • 9 years ago
    The wallpaper is damaged from the earthquake in loads of places so it all has to come off and be replaced with something else. I meant that I don't think they should replace the frieze as it draws your eye away from the ceiling. But like I said, I'm WAY out of my depth here. Do you think the frieze should be replaced by another?
  • 9 years ago

    Is the frieze damaged? If not, do not replace. If so, is repairing not an option?

    Good advice from visualizemaven.

  • 9 years ago

    is not the frieze on the ceiling?

  • 9 years ago

    I love the wood and that ceiling!!!! I'm kinda jealous. My house has beautiful wood work but its stuck in the middle. Its not new, but its not antique.

    This is class, elegance, warmth, coziness, and character you will NEVER get from a modern house. NEVER.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Check out Farrow & Ball wallpapers. Expensive. Worth it.

    http://us.farrow-ball.com/patterns/wallpaper/fcp-category/sub

    I really like their Aranami and Hornbeam patterns and I think either would look magnificent in your friend's place. They also offer free wallpaper samples: http://us.farrow-ball.com/samples/free/fcp-category/home

  • 9 years ago
    The frieze I'm referring to is the patterned wallpaper in a line that borders the white paint. I would never ever suggest removing any of the plaster work, the photos don't do it justice! In NZ that wallpaper border is a frieze... I want to make the coving and ceiling the focal point so need to choose a wallpaper that doesn't detract from that. Apologies for the misunderstanding!
  • 9 years ago

    Thought I'd post a few pics. Hopefully, they will help you visualize the possibilities. Good luck!

    Julianne Kelly · More Info

    Eclectic Living Room · More Info

    Classic Glam · More Info


    15040 ALTATA DR. · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    IMO that “frieze” is a wallpaper border someone added so I would remove it and I like the idea of the very subtle wall paper and F&B have some great vintage type ones

  • 9 years ago

    If the area is still having aftershocks over mag 5 or so, there will be more cracks that could rip new paper. Sometimes it's best to repair with flexible tape, then paint with a good primer that makes a good base for wallpaper and wait a year or so.

  • 9 years ago

    Yes, your version of a frieze should definitely be removed to update the look. Take one colour or paper from floor to plaster moulding. Use a more exciting, glamorous, colourful paper that your client loves in the alcove. Is there something interesting going on with the alcove ceiling currently? It looks textured/papered? I would do that a darker sky blue and choose the wallpaper to compliment it. Then I'd add a small bookshelf, wingback and tiny ottoman, and call it my "Solar" :)

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks all! The alcove ceiling is just as ornate as the main ceiling - it is just bordered with the native timber and has a small fireplace. I definitely think a chair/lamp will fit but not much else! Thanks for the ideas/photos/advice - visualisemaven, I really appreciate you taking the time to say what you did...you said things in a very subtle way that had a big impact. Thank you
  • 9 years ago

    oh thank you so much for the feedback plowman5 - the fact that you let me know you gained insight means so much to me. You and your future clients will benefit greatly from your awareness.

    Best.