Software
Houzz Logo Print
piperok28

Living Room Help (with pics)

9 years ago

I just ordered a brown leather chesterfield sofa (stock photo below) and currently have a brown leather recliner, 2 tricolor cowhide rugs and a modern glass coffee table. I am trying to find some accent seating for the sofa and am wanting to stay away from an all brown color scheme. I was thinking maybe some accent chairs? Also I am clueless about how to arrange the furniture in this space and what art to put on that big wall the current painting is hanging on. Will that painting work or should I get different art? I have no clue what I'm doing and would appreciate any advice on furniture arrangement, color scheme and accent pieces.

Comments (24)

  • 9 years ago

    Your space is too large to just have that cowhide rug. I suggest finding a flatweave jute rug of a light tan color to go in the middle of the room, with the feet of the furniture resting on it. Then, you can put the cowhide on top as an accent.


  • 9 years ago

    following

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Is there a TV?

    I think the sofa would look great on the wall with the painting. The painting is fine for now. You can keep your eye open for the perfect art piece while the one you have saves space for it above the sofa.

    Love the rug.

    The chair can go to the right of the fireplace angled so it's facing into the room. The coffee table and rug can go in front of the couch.

    After that, post another picture and we can have fun with lamps and accessories. I love the room.

    Taylor N. thanked auntthelma
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you auntthelma, the Tv is above the fireplace.

  • 9 years ago

    With the TV above the fireplace you can put the chair across from the fireplace for TV viewing.

    OR - the sofa across from the fireplace, but then the painting is sort of floating by itself.

  • 9 years ago

    I was thinking to get two accent chairs but I'm not sure what colors/type that will go with the sofa.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hello Taylor N.,

    Great room and nice core furniture pieces.

    A couple of accent chairs in fabric will add not only more seating but another textural element to the room. Pairing one or both with an ottoman in a different fabric or texture (ie. rattan, palm) would add to the overall design as well. The accent chairs can also be tufted, I've done that many times for clients with tufted sofas. They can be patterned or solid fabric. And nailhead trim will add extra eye candy. I've included some for color examples.

    Your space has a masculine feel to it.

    To get away from the browns, you can go in different directions:

    bring in accent colors in mustard (anywhere from dijon to golden yellow), rust, brighter red, forest greens. All of which will give you a warmer overall tone.

    or bring in blues (rich but not navy tones and lighter icy blues), pale sage greens, lighter golds, and rust again. These will give you a cooler visual lift to the space.

    You'll need to create a conversation arrangement with all the items, and to anchor this you'll need an area rug that can accommodate most of the furniture and/or its feet. IKEA has a great sisal rug called the OSTED that I've used countless times as an underlayment for smaller area rugs and its only $149 for the 8'x11' - great deal.


    Throw in a few accent pillows in the color palette direction you choose will help as well.

    Artwork is very personal. If you like something, and it works with the design style and/or color palette of the room, and the room is pulled together well, just about anything goes.

    Add in some end tables, an accent table or two for the chairs, some unique table lamps for task/ambiance lighting and you're on your way.

    Karen Haggard, CID






    Taylor N. thanked Grey Heron Interiors
  • 9 years ago

    Karen, you're an absolute doll! thank you for all the suggestions and tip on the Ikea rug. As far as arrangement, do you feel the sofa would be better on the wall by the painting or in front of the fireplace and the accent chairs on that wall? I will take all of your advice to heart and start looking at colored chairs. :) :) :) Thank You

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Thank you Taylor,

    I would angle the furniture. The room has a smaller footprint in comparison to its volume. The accent chairs can be tucked close to the fireplace and still not block the kitchen entrance way, and they won't be large pieces either since they are not primary seating for your everyday use.

    The recliner can sit down farther by the kitchen half wall with a small accent table next to it.

    This will still leave you plenty of walking space (shown by the arrow lines) and it creates a softer approach to a conversation area.

    As for the very tall overwhelming wall, lets have some fun with it. You can keep the larger picture and lets create an eclectic 'living' wall. Something you can keep adding to over time with paintings, prints, 3D objects such as a clock or large letters, you can even add a small shelf of any design style you like to add items on top, mixes of frames and mediums and colors and textures. See the concept I included.

    Hope you can understand the furniture layout quick sketch.


  • PRO
    9 years ago

    @Grey Heron Interiors Great description, and maybe instead of spotted cowhide, maybe a grey one would look better. Just two cents.

    Taylor N. thanked decorhut
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    @Grey Heron Interiors I just got really excited and relieved, lol :) I was so overwhelmed before and never thought about my living room this way. I can't thank you enough for the advice!

  • 9 years ago

    Honestly, I think that the big wall is the perfect place for the TV -- gets it down to the right height, gives you a natural pair of focuses to arrange your (L-shaped) grouping of seating around, you can use a console to hold all your peripheral boxes, and it lets you hang a smaller accent piece over the fireplace. Starting with the TV over the fireplace makes the whole room harder to manage (and is likely to send you to a chiropractor) -- it should be a last resort for smaller rooms with too many entrances.

    Taylor N. thanked acm
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Taylor N. when you get a chance I would greatly appreciate a quick review of Grey Heron Interiors. Thank you!

  • 9 years ago

    hi, i too would like to move that tv. I also would like to place it on the wall where the painting is.

    my comment regarding the rug is to make sure it is comfortable to sit and stand on and that your heels do not get caught in it. if all of those are true then go for it. other wise how about something like this?

    Safavieh Bohemian Collection BOH525 Rug, Dark Blue/Multi, 5'x8' · More Info
    lets put 2 chairs in front of the side windows to the fireplace.
    Charlie Arm Chair & Reviews | Joss & Main · More Info
    i know you were saying no leather, but i was having a hard time finding a good chair. i am sure some one has one, in the meantime, it is a nice place holder.

    I am with heron, on the artwork, it does not need to match, it just needs to be what you love and original. there are many. if you do not find at home go to Saatchiart and/or Etsy. a couple etsy examples along your lines.


    Flowers Market Original Abstract Painting 20x16 by halinapl · More Info

    Amsterdam 1905 Palette Knife Netherlands by AfremovArtStudio · More Info

    next to one chair i would like to place a foot stool the other would have a small table with a lamp

    Furniture & Home Decor Search: mirrored furniture | Joss & Main · More Info



    Coffee Tables - Accent Tables, Modern Coffee Tables | World Market · More Info

    Jillian Floor Lamp & Reviews | Joss & Main · More Info

    Taylor N. thanked havingfun
  • 9 years ago

    @havingfun thanks for the recommendations! I like everything you showed me. It seems I won't really be able to move the tv to the other wall because there are others in the house that like it that way best. But maybe I can accessorize it with artwork and make it something special.

  • 9 years ago

    i would go with that, but my recomendation is based on the physical height. it apparently causes injured necks etc.

    you might wish to think of these for pillows, they would make it very different. Blk and white

    Amazon.com: WOMHOPE® 4 Pcs - 18" Floral Style Cotton Linen Square Throw Pillow C · More Info


    fox - i have other animals too, these go best with your colors

    Amazon.com: HomeChoice Cotton Linen Red Fox Lover Flying Kite 18 By 18 Inches(18 · More Info
    scandanavian
    Amazon.com: Hometaste Nordic Colors Abstract Geometric Art Throw Pillow Cover, S · More Info
    i have many others to put on your choices, but these are more unusual and can show you a set easily. I will delete if you don't like.

    Taylor N. thanked havingfun
  • 9 years ago

    Oh, those are really pretty! I'll check them out :)

  • 9 years ago

    @Grey Heron Interiors I do have a question about the sisal rug from Ikea. I've never had a natural fiber rug before and when I was researching them online, a lot of people complain of shedding and dirt, I'm not sure if that is just for jute though. Do you find the IKEA rug good quality? Is it rough to walk on and does it shed? Thank you so much.

  • 8 years ago

    Taylor N. - Is the chesterfield sofa comfortable? I am considering buying one for my LR/TV but many say that they are not comfortable especially for a TV room.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Hi selfridge74,

    Chesterfield sofa's can be very firm due to all the tufting on the back, especially done in leather. Your best bet now is to go furniture shopping and test some out.

    Karen

  • 8 years ago
    BTW very cute kitty! I think your room is having a bit of an identity crisis. The room itself is very traditional including the painting and your idea of a chesterfield. The coffee table is contemporary and then you have a somewhat rustic cowhide rug. Before you start plunking furniture and painting perhaps decide what the ultimate look that you would like. It’s not bad to fuse two looks I.e. contemporary with traditional but more than that it could get really disjointed. Best of luck!
  • 8 years ago

    guys this is a year old!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I have some more cowhide rugs in stock. All these are hand picked for unique and exotic patterns.

    I am attaching some images here, you can also visit my website

    boholivingroom.com

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County