Software
Houzz Logo Print
caligirl555

Under-cabinet range hood and 15" uppers?

9 years ago

Hey folks, cross-posting from Kitchens. I wanted some advice on under-cabinet range hoods and how people have used them with 15" uppers.

I'm getting a 36" range hood over a 30" induction range. GC said that the city doesn't care about make-up air; also I have a drafty 1915 house with original windows and no gas appliances. So I was looking for something 450-650 cfms in $400-500 price range. I want enough ventilation, but I haven't ever had a range hood, so really any ventilation will probably seem amazing :)

I've ordered cabinets, and was planning on getting this 625 cfm hood from Costco: Ancona. First problem is it's stocked out and not sure if Costco will bring it back. Second problem is it's 12" at the top, so not sure how to line it up with 15" uppers.

Here's the cabinet elevation planned based on the 10" high Ancona hood:

Questions:

1. With the Ancona hood, the Costco 625 cfm could come back in stock ($400). Or Amazon carries a 450 cfm version with same dimensions ($330) or 900 cfm version ($570). Leaning towards 450 cfm, 900 cfm seems like overkill. If I went with one of these options, how could I handle the 15" uppers? Would I install the hood flush on the wall, or somehow pull forward flush with the cabinets?

2. I was looking at this Zephyr Cyclone (600 cfm $439) as another option. It appears to be 15" at the top (seems weird since how would people use that with standard 12" cabinets). It's 6 3/8" high, so that would put the hood 33 5/8" over the range. Would this be better than the Ancona since it's 15" deep, or worse since the hood would be so high above the range?

3. Any options I should look at? Thanks in advance!

Comments (14)

  • 9 years ago

    When the chosen architecture calls for adopting a "stubby" hood (one that is well short of the front-to-back distance needed for full capture of rising and expanding cooking plumes), the minor differences in candidate hood capture performance due to mounting height are secondary.

    12-inch deep hoods would be expected to be used with 12-inch deep cabinets, and 15-inch deep hoods with 15-inch deep cabinets. Neither meets the desirable 24-inch to 27-inch depth needed for good capture when at the 30-inch to 36-inch height zone. In such configurations, hot greasy cooking should be performed on the rear burners for best capture.

    A 12-inch deep hood can be used under a 15-inch cabinet; when used in this manner the hood is probably best mounted by aligning it with the cabinet front and using a filler strip, preferably angled, at the rear to deflect effluent into the hood. Mounting flush to the wall exposes some cabinet base area at the front to heat and grease. This is undesirable so a front filler covering would be useful.

    I have no information to make recommendations among this category of hoods.

    kas

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks for the feedback, it sounds like no major difference with either option.

  • 7 years ago
    @caligirl5 what did you go with?
  • 7 years ago

    The Ancona came back in stock, and that's what I got. The GC installed some kind of metal filler so that it aligns with the front of the cabinet. I'm happy with it's performance, though my standards may be low since I didn't have a vent hood before.


    Completed Kitchen · More Info



  • 6 years ago

    How did you end up lining the hood up with the 15" uppers? Did you pull it forward 3 inches from the wall and if so, what did you use in the back to hide the gap? Thanks!

  • 6 years ago

    hi i am having the same issue. do you know what the filler is called or where to get it?

  • 6 years ago

    Sorry I don't know!

  • 6 years ago

    caligirl5 thanks for taking the time to follow up. I'm shopping for one now and haven't looked into this brand. Are you still happy with it? Is it very loud? Do you remember which model you chose? thanks!


  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    You can get them from ikea stainless steel fillers for ranges and over the range microwave

  • 5 years ago

    @jclee77 @shead I found this product today that is intended for this purpose; have the same issue: https://www.build.com/windster-we30/s985450?uid=2432737 2" x 6" x 30" metal filler to help push forward range hood. (Product is Windster WE30 or WE36, for 30" or 36" wide ranges, in case the link dies). Seems to be available from numerous sites.


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Help! If I bring the range hood forward 3 inches, with the spacer made by GE... (on order from Lowe's)

    Then how do I extend the rectangular exhaust channel so the the exhaust from the range hood meets the rectangular exterior wall opening and flue? There will be a 3 inch gap between the range hood and the exterior wall opening and flue.

  • 5 years ago

    @wishingonastar:

    You need another short section of duct with the same hood interface at one end and the same duct interface at the other end. If you can't find one of appropriate length in a catalog or on-line, then help from a HVAC company may be needed.

  • 5 years ago

    Thanks! I am going to look at an exterior exit flue at Lowe's, and see if I can just use that piece I need without the exterior vent cover that comes with it....