Software
Houzz Logo Print
pomegranatestaindgrn29

Battle of the sofas

9 years ago
Of course there's a very long story I could tell about this matter but I'll spare you the details.

It boils down to this: I've found two sofas I like very much. They're entirely different styles; one I think suits my tastes much more closely and would save us a fair amount of money and the other is very elegant (IMO too elegant) for our very working class lifestyle.

The battle? My husband prefers the more expensive grey sofa. I prefer the more eclectic pillowback. My style tends to run eclectic, whimsical, and a little boho lite. Hubby has no real style to speak of and doesn't really envision a finished room very well.

The blue chair is a possible accent for the room. None of the pieces have been purchased yet.

The walls will be SW Repose Gray with an accent of Blustery Sky.

Any help would be appreciated and I'm not above describing the past 8 months of living in a 70s paneled basement next to a utility room of what was supposed to be a move in ready house while the upstairs has been stripped of all flooring and toilets if it sways a few uncertain votes my way lol

Comments (27)

  • 9 years ago
    What a dilemma lol, I think I like the cushioned one better
  • 9 years ago

    I do prefer a neutral color sofa, either cream or gray. I've had 2 off-white Bassett sofas for years. I love that I can change 3-4 throw pillows and have a new color scheme. That said, you'd probably need to change out the pillows on either of your sofa choices if you also want the navy chairs, which are really pretty, BTW.

  • 9 years ago
    So far it's a tie?

    I've actually had both a pillowback and a chesterfield. If it were a gray, leather, inherited/secondhand/well-loved chesterfield...there'd be no argument from me at all! :)

    All of those pillows gave me a giggle though! lol :D
  • 9 years ago
    Many times I've needed to seat three people on a couch. The crack in the middle makes that difficult. The bottom couch appears to have one seat cushion, which would sway me that way. Definitely needs some pillows to liven it up though
  • 9 years ago
    Hmmm... Honestly, I can't recall if that sofa has one solid cushion or two. Unfortunately, we don't have company more than once every few years - not counting our daughter who shows up once every 3-6 weeks but will be sitting on the floor lol ;)
  • 9 years ago

    I owned a pillow back sofa "once." I can honestly say I didn't enjoy it for the whole time I owned it. Depending on the use of the sofa the pillow back sofa is more maintenance ( always fixing the pillows ). Also the pillows tend to loose their shape over time and just looks sloppy (again depending on the use ).

    The tufted sofa is more flexible. If you want to achieve a Boho/electic look then you can choose individual throw pillows that will create your style. For example the tufted sofa below looks amazing with it's burst of colorful Boho cushions. Take off all the cushions and you have a more traditional look. It's so much more flexible and fun to decorate around in my opinion.

  • 9 years ago
    Ok, now I'm being outnumbered. Did I mention I've been living in a basement for 8 months and all of my clothes are still in boxes? lol

    I've actually pinned that room for inspiration, Mark. It's lovely.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Living out of boxes is no fun, especially for 8 months ! I hope you get to enjoy your renovated home soon ! I really love the color in that photo too SlowBoilingFrog.:)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Both couches are lovely. As someone has said..... if you are a neat freak the one with all the pillows will drive you crazy. They always look sloppy after people have been sitting there!

  • 9 years ago
    My vote would be chesterfield. It's been a classic style for decades and looks like it would wear the best. Agree with other posts pillow backs get messy and uncomfortable...not the best for entertaining, and pillow choices may become dated and then you have to find exactly the right size to work well in replacing. Changing up throw pillows seems much easier as accents on the chesterfield.
  • 9 years ago

    The sofa with the pillows will only look like pic ONE TIME sorry gray sofa wins by far!


  • 9 years ago
    Specifics of our living situation: he's 50 and works all day. I'm 44 and an agoraphobic cripple. Yeah, that's true.
    The living room won't have a tv in it. He'll have a "man cave" with a tv in the basement once we move upstairs that he will decorate however he wants (which begs the question: why am I giving him a vote in this whole sofa thing at all? lol)
    I completely understand the versatility of the chesterfield. And I did choose it myself before I found the pillowback. It took my breath away. But, when I imagine the finished space and myself sitting on the blue velvet chair looking at the room, I see the pillowback fitting the style in my mind more closely.
    Whichever way we go, neither sofa would get much use. I'm fairly sure of that.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    SlowBoilingFrog the best thing to to is to design the space that suits your personality and what makes you feel comfortable and happy. If you feel you will be happier with the pillow back sofa then you should get that sofa.:) I'm so sorry that you suffer from agoraphobia so it's important to design a space that you will enjoy to be in. Best of luck !

  • 9 years ago
    If what you wrote above is true, go for the pillow back. It's what you love. I also like it's lines with the blue chair. As far as sitting 3 people on a sofa- NO-ONE wants to be in the middle unless you're under the age of 5.
    (Kind of like benches used in Dining rooms)
    I just purchased a loose back sectional for my sunroom- the perfect, casual lived-in look.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Sorry I agree all those pillows make it almost impossible to be comfortable so I like the 2nd one BTW hate the pillows on the 2nd one so no to them

  • 9 years ago
    I have had both. The two cushion sofa was not comfortable in my mind, and most all throw pillows are a pain. People are always trying to figure out what to do with them so they can sit down. We often have company so the middle seat on our 3 cushion gets used (unless people like standing or sitting on the floor). We have an ottoman with a tray that the middle person can use for drinks. Your hubby may enjoy spending time with you more if he has that comfy chesterfield to sit on.
  • 9 years ago

    I like the second one better only because it looks like the arms are a little lower. I hate sofas with high arms, very uncomfortable for me. im not crazy about either one ( I don't like tufting ) , however, waaaay too many pillows on the first one.

  • 9 years ago
    Come on, Cathy. I disagree with the five-year-old comment. I often host a book club, and I also host occasional Bible studies for my church. Any time we have a family get together, we use the full seating capacity of our furniture. AND, guess what! Sometimes we have grandchildren, i.e. 5 year olds, in our house! I'm offering a valid opinion--it's up to Frog to determine if it matters to her or not!!
  • 9 years ago
    Choose the one you like best, doesn't matter what others think.
    They're both nice.
  • 9 years ago
    Given how the room will be used, and the reality of your situation ( you will spend far more time at home and in the space than hubby), I would say go with the pillow back version since that is the one that really calls out to you.
    No doubt the man cave space will cater a little more to his vision of things.
  • 9 years ago

    I like the Chesterfield and love the blue chair with it

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you for all of the feedback.
    Yes, I should pick what I like best because I will be the one living with it. Hopefully I will figure out what that is in the next month or so.
    Thank you again, everyone.
  • 9 years ago

    Both those sofas look uncomfortable to me, for the reasons that have already been mentioned. High arms, loose back cushions, 2 seat cushions. I've had sofas with all of those unfortunate features and the last time I bought I avoided all those. And, we sat on the sofa for about 20 minutes in the showroom, just to get an idea of how comfortable it really is.

    High arm sofas are also not good if you like to lie on your sofa, which we do.

  • 9 years ago
    After having a pillow-backed sofa for years, I chose NOT to buy another one.
  • 9 years ago
    I like the chesterfield, but think two button tufted pieces in the same room is too many. If your heart is set on the blue chair, I'd choose a different sofa altogether.
  • 9 years ago

    Sofa is a big investment $$$ but also something you and your husband will have to look at and use for many years. So, don't limit yourselves to these two. There are lots of alternatives out there.

    Also (and maybe this is the detail you are "sparing" us), consider the rest of the room, especially the size. Both these sofas take up quite a lot of space with the curve of the arms, and both (it looks like) have two cushions which others have mentioned limits comfortable seating.