Software
Houzz Logo Print
debi_toni

All gray

9 years ago


I like the gray n white but what is missing?
Any suggestions?

Comments (19)

  • 9 years ago

    A pop of any colour! Grey became the new beige a few years ago, but it needs accent colours to help pull it off. Add splashes of colour in the towels, bath mat, bouquet of flowers, area rug, or pictures on the wall. Try accent colours of Red, Aqua, Orange, Teal, Purple, Pink, Yellow, Chartreuse.

    debi_toni thanked yvesun
  • 9 years ago

    What's missing - warmth. I'd pick an accent color and bring in artwork that has that color in it.

    debi_toni thanked shirlpp
  • 9 years ago

    Is there a question?

    debi_toni thanked Bailey R
  • 9 years ago

    I agree....you need bigger pops of contrasting colors. What about using your pantry doors for a pop of yellow (like that stool) or red (from the rug)? I would find some artwork you really love and use that to inspire your choices.

    debi_toni thanked eve_62025
  • 9 years ago

    I find all of your rooms quite charming. There are 2 that could use some tweaks. The dining room chandelier seems awkwardly oversized. The wall behind the table could use a single fairly large piece of art, or a collection of smaller paintings. Something with blues, orange, and greens would be nice.

    Transitional Dining Room · More Info

    The bathroom window valence just disappears entirely, so it really has no impact. Consider using your preferred accent color there as well.



  • 9 years ago

    Just my thoughts... the living room & dining room appear too dark, "battleship" gray for my taste. I like rich, saturated colors, but in warmer tones. But everyone has different comfort levels re color . Looks like a nice house.

    debi_toni thanked Bailey R
  • 9 years ago

    In every room, all you seem to see/take in is the color grey. I would try to change each room by adding in other shades. In kitchen, I would lower the clock, in bathroom I would lower the piece on wall, add a more interesting shower curtain and a patterned mat. Add a great centerpiece on your dining table (can it be moved to under the chandelier) and some large colorful art. In living room add pieces that seem to connect and also feel lighter and airy.



  • 9 years ago

    I've been painting my interiors gray for 40+ years...love gray. Just use very bright, clear "pops" of color. Your bathroom shade is a perfect spot for one, solid intense color. You can pick a single color throughout your home (shades of red or blue) or pick a color for each room. Love your house!

    debi_toni thanked chiflipper
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Thank you

    I thought about painting the back door in kitchen a bright color

    i also had painted the clock and thought I could paint the numerals a color(?)

    its not a big house and I was trying to keep it flowing without looking choppy

    i love nautical

    what you don't see is the outside, dark gray as well. I wanted to put a pop on door but again went with red. I was obsessed with gray. It's classic French gray the other in kitchen is French gray. I watch a lot of fixer upper which this house is. The floors were a mess.

    I like yellow n navy

    would you say those are good choices?

    what about stripes?maybe Rug in LR

    i have to be careful I have a chocolate lab

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I love the yellow table

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I good with putting colors together but not with pictures n accessories


  • 9 years ago
    Hi, Debi. I like your house. I don't think your living room paint is too dark as you also have so much white in there. I really like the rug in your kitchen and the white painted floors. The shades in kitchen look nice. The drapes in living room look like not enough material. More unique, personal artwork on walls instead of generic stuff like clocks and stars will help bring your rooms to the next level.
    debi_toni thanked bradley_amber
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Too much dark gray and not enough contrast so far. White trim and white sofa is great, but then I see dark woods, wicker and sisal, match stick blinds and dark paddles on the fans.

    You need bright…silver, in particular.

    Something like this rug for under the white dining table and slip covers for the wicker chairs to correlate with the sofa.

    Pacific Beach Dining Chair, Sunbleached White · More Info

    Amer Artist Art-4 Rug, Silver/White, 8'0"x11'0" · More Info
    Crystorama Solaris 6 Light Silver Sphere Chandelier II · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Your house looks super cozy! I love the shiny painted floors and pops of red.

    debi_toni thanked northpoint2
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Grey, beige, cream, white -- too much of anything is cloying, and while neutrals are a great base, people forget that they don't stand on their own.

    I'd look for some colorful, happy artwork, and in doing so, go beyond the traditional default of looking for an abstract. (Isn't that odd? Abstracts, which are supposed to be edgy, are becoming so commonplace that they're looking ordinary.)

    The fun about a representational painting is that it showcases a recognizable -- yet potentially magical -- place, person, or emotion, customizing your home decor with your unique interests. Take your time and wait until you find something you fall in love with, because artwork -- unlike accessories and decor -- is more than just something to match with your sofa. It speaks to your soul.

    I'm appending a few images from my collection, pulling in reds because I notice you have accents in that color -- Ocean Breeze, Jubilee, and Last Light in Zion. I sell a large collection of originals here -- http://bit.ly/2jVB27K and here -- http://bit.ly/2lfgHrE, as well as affordably priced prints, here -- http://bit.ly/2kaMR8P and here -- http://bit.ly/2lYaAXz.



  • 9 years ago

    Looks great. I especially like the white floors. I think just another color besides the burgundy. You have such a unified look that you can be pretty relaxed with the small things and it will still look really put together. I would probably have other pillows to switch out with the seasons--turquoise in spring and dark green in winter, or whatever you want.

    debi_toni thanked Pool Habit
  • 9 years ago

    Doing a great job with the exception of the dining and bathroom. That room is too small for such a large table. So is the rug, and the chandy is too big and out of alignment with the table. The person at the end can't even get in and out of the seat, and chairs, when pushed back and sat in, should not fall off the rug. I would forgo a rug there and use a round table under the chandy with the 4 woven chairs. The bathroom just needs a pop of color in place of the drab valence and plain shower curtain. Anyone who has been on HOUZZ for long knows I don't feel that big battery operated clocks qualify as decor, and they certainly aren't necessary as time pieces what with all the digital ways of checking on the time, but some folks just love them.

    debi_toni thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You might consider adding some small pops of color with your wall color choice. The images here are from a design we did. Notice the blue, gold, yellow, and grey?

    Royal York Renovation and Decoration · More Info

    Royal York Renovation and Decoration · More Info