Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_862197

Help. Can't decide Small powder room

9 years ago
Please advice on 1)vanity for brand new powder room -33" wide. 2)light fixture 3) color
4) mirror

Love the tile on the vanity wall (thasos with mother of pearl), trying to match a single vanity ideally front curved with a little storage traditional/Venetian style.
Unfortunately, can put only one light fixture over the sink with additional lights on the ceiling.


Also looking for warm light color for the other walls since the room is small and dark. Tried a sample of Benjamin Moore ; powder color is too bright and creamy. Is there pearl color?

Mirror? That won't block much of the tiles.

Pictures attached: I'm not so crazy about this light fixture. I'm open for ideas

Thanks a lot
Katy

Comments (45)

  • 9 years ago

    Do you really need the storage in a vanity? The wall is so pretty. What about a pedestal or wall mount sink?

  • 9 years ago

    The vanities that are shown distract and compete with the gorgeous tiles. Keep the sparkle going by doing a floating marble slab front with maybe a short open shelf underneath for white towels

  • 9 years ago


    Project Pictures · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    No drawers

  • 9 years ago

    Check out eurostylelighting.com. Found several crystal styles for you.

  • 9 years ago

    Your tiled wall and floor are very pretty and have a contemporary feel. The vanities you have chosen are much too traditional and ornate, and the styles are clashing.

    Look for something with much cleaner lines, less detail. (similar to what abbyzx posted) The light fixture can stay, keep looking for a vanity.

  • 9 years ago

    Here's a tip for the future - before tiling have a plumber "center" all the piping. I think you'd be better served by a floating vanity in white quartz. Your tile is gorgeous.

  • 9 years ago

    I like both of these new vanities much better than the previous ones. Good job - you're on the right track. As for vanity colors, I would stick with white or gray.

  • 9 years ago
    I appreciate your comment.
    Would you know if I can find it is a ready to buy?
    How about the light would it be good match?
    Thanks
  • 9 years ago

    Hello @webuser_862197 - There are plenty of great looking, ready-to-buy options, shown here on Houzz.

    You know the exact dimensions of your room, so you can search for Bathroom Vanities and filter it down to the exact width, depth, color, price, style, etc.

    The light fixture looks fine and will nicely complement a vanity with clean lines. Take your time, you have the making of a beautiful room!

  • 9 years ago
    You have 2 votes from our house for the first gray vanity. My 33 yr old daughter is visiting & wanted to cast a vote!
  • 9 years ago
    Thank you abbyzx and your daughter.
    Looks like it will be the vanity. I like it more too its cleaner and classier look. I need now a mirror:-)
    I'll keep updating.
  • 9 years ago

    I like the gray one too, although I would put on crystal knobs afterward.

    since you have busy wall and lighting, maybe do a simple mirror? an oval bevel.

    or a rectangle, just not as high as this one

    but I do love the venetian style too



  • 9 years ago
    Absolutely love the wall tile!!!
  • 9 years ago
    Thank you Beth. I love the Venetian oval one.
    Will it look good with the light?
  • 9 years ago

    that's what I was trying to decide. they have different levels of ornate-ness (like my word? lol) so maybe getting one that is on the tamer side so that it won't compete w/the light and the tile would be best.

  • 9 years ago
    I absolutely love the space! The tile is just too gorgeous to hide, and would try to limit wall coverage. Below are photos of floating vanities that wouldn't take much space. Of course, find a wood that fits your style more, but I wouldn't go with a solid floor standing vanity.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Could you do just a chandelier and forgo a fixture over the mirror?

  • 9 years ago

    I love your light fixture and the tiles...

  • 9 years ago
    tedbixby, I wish I could use a chandelier but can't ! Ceiling is done with reassess lighting and no sconces too :(
  • 9 years ago

    OMG I am obsessed with your tile!! It is gorgeous. Where did you get it??

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Fairmont Mirror · More Info


    Paloma Mirror · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    Like the second one. I'll see how it works on the tile.
  • 9 years ago
    Hi Busy Mom, I got the tiles from
    Marble and Tile USA in Los Angeles.
    Phone: (310)477-1705
    They were very pleasant and helpful. You can talk to Jasmine, she is super nice and has good ideas.
  • 9 years ago

    Busy Mom- I think this is the manuf of that tile. Though I don't see that design. Beautiful stuff.

    http://www.sohostudiocorp.com/water-jet-1

  • 9 years ago

    webuser- are you still looking for a vanity? If so, what is the size we should zero in on?

  • 9 years ago

    More mirrors that you may want to look through. Though it will probably be best to figure out the vanity first.

    http://www.horchow.com/Decor/Mirrors/cat000092_cat000089_cat000000/c.cat

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you so much for all the information.

    I'm not set on a vanity yet.
    The size should be about 30"D by 20"W
    I have the blue one with 2 drawer in mind but it's custom. Looking for ready one.
    thanks for the mirror website they have beautiful stuff, but you are right first vanity and the light at the end is the mirror.
    I love the Venetian style with French gold leafs. I looked up some light and vanity style.
    I be happy to get your advice.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    On my monitor the tile is showing white with a silver (pearl?) design?

    Regarding your last mock-up. IMO- the tile is getting lost and wondering if it has to do with the eye going right to the vanity because it is dark as I didn't see that with your earlier photos with the white vanities.

    If you keep looking at vanities and keep going back to the Venetian style, I would go that way. I like to mix things up but quite a few people don't have that comfort level and would only go with what I call very "pedestrian." And those peoples homes don't reflect their personality- well, maybe they do but we won't go there-lol. If you love it, go for it as it will make you smile every time you go in there and you won't tire of it.

    Just a few others for what it's worth. Went grey thinking the pattern is silver.

    Wellington Single Vanity, Worn Gray · More Info

    Mirrored? Though it depends where the toilet is place- across from a mirrored vanity is not recommended!

    60" Eileen Modern Style Double Sink Bathroom Vanity - AC-66WT60 · More Info

    Spencer 27-inch Vanity HF3305WAW · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I know you don't want the pipes to show but came across these..

    "pipe" looks like it is part of the legs.

    Palmer Industries Renaissance · More Info

    Towels in front block the pipe

    Riverside Penthouse · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    I can give up the storage. These are beautiful. But Our piping is not centered. I wonder how it would work.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I didn't even notice your piping was off-center. Since I'm not a plumber I don't quite know how plumbing works/runs so is the plan to center whatever vanity you get and then run the piping with twist and turns to the sink or is the vanity going to be off-centered?

  • 9 years ago
    The vanity can be centered for sure. We would need to cut the back of the vanity to fit plumbing. That's one of the reasons we need vanity with drawers.
    But the one you sent with gold metal might work. I just need to find out how they can customize it and what's the price.
    Thanks
  • 9 years ago

    I love that gold metal one. I also came across these. Both come with either gold or silver metal. Though it doesn't solve your pipe issue.


    Worlds Away Fulton Vanity, Nickel · More Info


    Worlds Away Owen Bath Vanity, White Gold · More Info

  • 9 years ago


    Tiled Powder Room: Robeson Design · More Info
    I would do a mirror that takes up the least amount of space to show off the tile. I would also do a more streamlined vanity (not ornate).

  • 9 years ago

    INstead of an over the mirror light fixture go with a sconce on each of the side walls. You have the perfect layout for sconces. That way your mirror won't detract.




  • 9 years ago


    Cole + Co. Kinkaid Vanity · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Just wondering if you found a vanity.

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks for asking. So far ordered the gray vanity but the project is moving very slowly.
    I have not received it yet.
    Hopefully it be the right choice.
    I'll post when I place it in the powder room.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I love the tile, too. What a beautiful choice!

  • 9 years ago

    Looking forward to seeing it.

  • 9 years ago
    Hi everyone! Thank you all for the time you put trying to help me with this powder room.
    Our project was delayed and now it's in process again. Yeah!
    I finally decided on Wellington vanity in grey thanks to tedbixby for the suggestion, I ordered it two months ago but is not available anymore :(

    I'd like to get your input about this option for vanity. It's French look and I love it.
    It's a chest cabinet my carpenter can cut from the back and my stone fabricator can put the sink in.
    Thanks
  • 9 years ago
    Hi everyone! Thank you all for the time you put trying to help me with this powder room.
    Our project was delayed and now it's in process again. Yeah!
    I finally decided on Wellington vanity in grey and ordered it but is not available anymore :(

    I'd like to get your input about this option for vanity. It's French look and I love it.
    It's a chest cabinet my carpenter can cut from the back and my stone fabricator can put the sink in.
    Thanks
  • 9 years ago
    Some baby blues and white and gold fixtures