Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodishisushi

Help! My stair railing won't take the stain!

Jodishi
7 years ago
My goal is to get a dark stain on the railing, and I'm replacing the white balusters w black iron. I stripped the finish, sanded (even used a 100 grit to rough up the wood), tried staining w Old Masters wipe on stain and Minwax wipe on stain. These did not work.
Made a trip to Woodcraft where they recommended a sanding sealer (Zinser wax free Universal Sanding Sealer) and General Fineshes Java gel stain. (I didn't want to use a gel stain, but okay.) The wood still will not get dark. This is after a total of 5 coats of stain.
I really don't want to paint the rails black because my balusters will be black. Ideas? (The last photo shows my starting point.)

Comments (81)

• Jodishi
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Picked up these items. Should be a fun day of experimenting!
  • Steph
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Sure, I googled it just through it back in your face. I get no pleasure correcting others, I just want to make sure the poster isn't getting bad info. I have no idea of your qualifications, as you have no idea of my experience with these products either.

• Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago
    I don't know where you are in the process, but my wife recently restained our antique oak washstand I'd converted to our front bath vanity 30 yrs. ago. She used a stripper, then scaped, then sanded before staining. It went very well & stain took like it would've on raw wood.
  • User
    7 years ago

I hope that spiced walnut turns out awesome. Black? never. Grey? Everybody is doing it. which is why I don't like it lol.

• User
    7 years ago

I forgot to add you can clean the wood with mineral spirits or paint thinner. This would show off the grain of the wood, but I think your trying to hide it.

• Jodishi
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    You're right on - I am planning to make more of a wash with it by thinning it. I WANT to preserve the grain, which is why I dislike the common suggestion to coat with gel stain and let it dry.
  • PRO
    GannonCo
    7 years ago

You are trying to stain over a finish coating. Take a little water and sprinkle it on the wood. If the wood absorbs and changes to a darker color it should stain if it doesn't you haven't removed the coating.

General Finishes Gel stains are one of the best out there and will stain very dark and even. It will take more then one coat. Brush it on an let it sit then go back 15min later and wipe off the excess. LET IT DRY 24hrs and go back and apply as above again. If you reapply to early all you are doing is reactivating the stain and taking it off with the 2nd application.

Old Maters actually sells a base finish that is a yellowish tan for fiberglass doors that you can then stain over. Gel stains should cover just about anything but they need multiple coats over the course of a few days. You can't just keep layering within such a small time frame.

• PRO
    GannonCo
    7 years ago

By the way soak those rags in water as they can spontaneously ignite and burn down your house. I soak in a metal container outside on concrete pad till trash day. No joke!!

• Jodishi
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    UPDATE! Turns out, my stain colors, though dark, just weren't dark enough. Any color with a hint of brown turned orange. I went with General Finishes Gel Stain in Black. This is just a single coat - before poly. I like this tryptic because it shows really well what I've been dealing with.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Jodishi - I think I said a while ago "I see Ebony in your future?" That is black and that is what it takes to get what I thought you wanted. Looks great! Are you going to put another coat? Before Poly?

• Jodishi
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes, you did! I took it to heart.
  • Jodishi
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    It didn't post my full comment.
    I am patch testing a second coat tomorrow morning. And yes, it will be finished w coats of poly for durability.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Perfect. I think a "quick" second coat, what I mean is don't let it sit too long, with give the color some needed depth and then with the poly it will be beautiful!! Good job and this is a JOB!

• Jodishi
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes, definitely a JOB!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

It is looking great. I see keeping bulbs working in that chandelier is a challenge as well! Great look though! Yes, it needs a second coat. Beautiful! Hang in there!

• Jodishi
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This chandelier is my nightmare. I've had it for a few weeks, and we're down 8 of the 21 bulbs that came with it. They are LED.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Oh yea, fun right? Well, do you have this light on a dimmer? If that is so, and the bulbs are not "dimmer LEDs" you will have problems. LEDs can be a real pain. I like them in some applications, but probably not this one. Can you replace them with incandescent? Might be worth it. Or better yet, contact the supplier and tell them what is happening. It can't be easy replacing those darn things at that height. Takes either a really tall ladder or scaffolding. Bummer for sure. I will keep that in mind for future clients. Sorry you are having that kind of problem in just a few weeks! Wow. Terrible.

• Jodishi
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Nope, no dimmer. We purposely avoided that because the rest of our house has LED can on dimmers. Sometimes they ghost a bit hut very rarely, so it hasn't been a problem.
    I'm literally waiting for more bulbs to go before I buy replacements. And yes, it involves super dangerous double ladder scaffolding, so you can understand my procrastination. Never never again will I choose a fixture on a fixed rod. A chain would've made this so much easier.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Yup! Chain for ceilings that high are the only way. See this all the time. It is a cool piece though. Maybe you could sell it on eBay or some such thing and get a easier one to handle?

• CLC
    7 years ago

Wow! Looking good :-)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Great work! You deserve a medal!! That is sooooo hard! It looks really good though. How did you eventually get the depth of black? Or did you just wind up painting the darn stuff! haha!

• Jodishi
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    It's not overly black. But the black definitely takes the orange out, which was the goal. I still need to add shoes and epoxy them in. And then start on the downstairs, which is a split staircase. GLUTTON FOR PUNISHMENT!
  • Jodishi
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Close up...
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

OMG, but think of how much money you are saving. This would cost thousands to have done professionally. Bet it is the last one you will do! You must be elated at the look.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Looks even better close up!

• Jodishi
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm getting there. Yes, I was quoted 5k for this. My total will be around $650! Plus lots and lots and lots of time.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Hope someone takes you out for a fabulous dinner at least! Maybe a weekend somewhere fun!

• decoenthusiaste
    7 years ago

Finally! There you go! The results will be worth it.

• Jodishi
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Ha! I'll be sure to mention that to him! Every day he comes home and sees a new little something.
  • Megan Lord
    7 years ago

Looks awesome!

• HouseofGodsmith
    7 years ago

Oh my gosh, I am starting this project next weekend and this post is making me simultaneously terrified and also excited. I need to get rid of my honey oak railings before I am driven to insanity.

• Jodishi
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    You probably have red oak, which has been very difficult to stain. In the end, I'm not finishing with poly at all. The gel stain (2 coats wiped - not laid thick like paint) hardens nicely, but I'm disappointed that I won't get any nice sheen. After a month I may come back and attempt shellac, but it's a huge gamble. If this starts wearing off, I can easily touch this up. It does not at all rub off anymore, not even on a white rag.
    Good luck! It's a process....
  • Jodishi
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I keep forgetting to update! My stairs are BEAUTIFUL!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Wow! you did an amazing job. So nice. Love it. I see a new chandelier too and it looks very cool. Can you post another picture with the chandelier showing better. I know you worked your b u __ off on this project, but you can be really proud of the outcome. Thanks for posting!!

• Jodishi
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you! I'm very happy I never have to do it again!
  • Jodishi
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The previous chandelier was a huge pain in the rear. Opted for something simpler, cheaper. If I ever find one I prefer in the future, I might change it again. But for now, super happy!
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

I see shadowy shapes on the wall - seems nice huh !?

• Jodishi
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Love the shape because it mimics the space it is in. Really nice choice. I have the same challenge. Open staircase and 22' ceiling with 2 chandelier that work with a 3rd! I'm getting a headache just thinking about changing them out and they are dated and need to go. But, thanks you to your posting, you have inspired me!!

• Jodishi
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Do it! And lucky me - this one was all of $150!
  • Bruce Crawford
    6 years ago

Beautiful! Thx for the "after".

• Katy Wood
    6 years ago

How hard was it to change out the wood balusters to metal? We have almost the same staircase and are getting quotes right now.

• Jodishi
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The easiest part of the whole project! Seriously!
  • Jodishi
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I bought my metal parts from the ebay store of cheapstairparts - cheap!
  • User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

@jodishi, Thats where I was thinking of getting my iron spindles for the past year. I've been putting it off cause I wanna get the fancy twisty ones and I'm concerned about dust gathering on them. Which it will. Just another thing to dust off and vacuum. I don't have a small house. Maybe eventually I'll just do it.

• lisaandmarcel
    5 years ago

WOW you did a great job !!! What side rails did you use ??? .5" Help - So if I do my orange red oak, your saying I couldn't stain lighter, to get more a wash white oak look ?

• Jodishi
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Lisaandmarcel- It would be worth a shot using a very light grey/white stain. Worst case scenario, you'd have to just whitewash it w paint. But if the stain has any kind of brown it in, I would expect it to turn orangey again. For reference, here is what it looked like raw.
  • Jodishi
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    As for side rails.... Do you mean the balusters? They are just hollow black steel rods I purchased from the Ebay page of cheapstairparts.com. I think each shoe and rod cost 99 cents, making each bar w two shoes about $3 each.
  • Keith Collier
    4 years ago

Keith Collier

I love your steps. I am doing the same thing to my entrance staircase. However I am having a challenge with the stain completely drying, I have used general finish gel stain before. I followed all the appropriate procedures( mineral spirit, sanding, brushing on gel stain and wiping it off with rag.) I have done the same process to new unfinished wood posts and railings and it has been several days 5-6 and it is still tacky. Should i just topcoat and if so because they will stair trends I was told to us a topcoat that really protects wood and finish on floors so can I use Miniwax topcoat for floors with the General finish gel stain? Thanks for any advice Im desparate!!!!!!