Software
Houzz Logo Print
megan_grallwolfe

Need help with exterior colors on our 1st home

Hello, my husband and I just bought our first home and we would really like to change the shutter, front door and perhaps the garage color if possible. We do not like the maroon/burgundy shutters. I was thinking a taupe shutter color and navy front door? I'm not dead set on these colors. I'm toying with the idea of gel staining the garage door and front door. Bad idea? This house just blends in and we'd like to shake it up! Please, don't be shy! Thank you for your advice. --The Wolfes

Comments (24)

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks, Carriebear28! I think you're right that the garage should be the show. Do you think a taupe/gray shutter would be great or are you thinking I should paint the shutters the same as the garage door.


  • 9 years ago

    Congrats on your beautiful home!!! I often walk through the beautiful neighborhoods of a nearby town.....just to look at the homes! The color combo that really catches my eye would be dark sage green shutters and a red door! ( darker red, not lipstick red). I would then paint the garage door the color of your siding. Paint the stormdoor the same red as the door.

  • 9 years ago
    What a nice looking home! I agree with carriebear, keep the garage door neutral, as is, to blend. And kick up the light a notch by the door. Why not try the navy for door and shutters? It is only paint and easily changed if you don't like it. (See photo) You could add more pizzaz by addressing the landscaping. The row of hedges on the right under the picture window don't do anything for the space. I would remove them. Talk with a landscaper to see what would enhance the area. And the bright orange-y mulch could be changed to a brown. The other four little bushes in front could be updated, too. And since you said don't be shy, if and/or when your budget allows, consider replacing the rigid right-angled cement walkway for one with brick pavers that gracefully curves out to the drive, and curve the bed where the four bushes currently are, too. Your house looks terrific, very nice elements to work with.
  • 9 years ago

    Hi Megan, really cute house! Are the siding and roof colors pretty much the warm-ish tones they appear in the photo? If so, I would choose something for the shutters and door that isn't too cool.

    I agree with painting the garage door the same color as the siding. At some point you might replace it with one that has panes across the top that match the ones in the windows. I would trim the hedge on the right a little lower...just below the bottom of the window. Maybe trim back the right side of it, too.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Just saw grapefruit's suggestion of sage green...nice with both the roof and siding colors.

  • 9 years ago
    Googling "shutters for beige vinyl houses" brings up many images, but what I notice is that they all have white accents, around the window frames and door and sometimes in the eaves of the roof peaks. Your house doesn't have the white, altho I like the softness your house has without it. Not sure how it would look with it as an accent. So many online photos are of two story houses, and colors are interpreted differently on a single story house. One thing I saw was a door with "nautical blue", that might work for you. Not as deep as navy but very lovely, as in this photo.
  • 9 years ago
    Other shades of blue:
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    That blue looks great with what looks like a taupe siding color in the first photo.

    Megan, the left part of your roof in the photo looks like it might have a red-ish tone in it...is that right?

  • 9 years ago

    Yes, the shingles are that orange/red type. I was toying with the idea of painting the trim white but that would be a lot of work. We're also doing some changed to the interior as well. I will google what you suggested. And THANK YOU!


  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    In that case, a sage green would work nicely with the roof.

    You're fortunate to have such a nice house to work with.

  • 9 years ago

    I love blues, but I like the idea of using sage green with your house.


    Here are a few ideas that I think would look nice with your siding and roof. Mountain road is a nice green....it doesn't look as drab in person.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    This is a house with Mountain Road as the main siding color, and the peaks are similar in color to your siding. Obviously not similar in style, but I posted it just so you can see the colors next to each other. I really love the first blue door divinemrsm posted, as well. You definitely have some options!

  • 9 years ago

    With your front door overhang, I would also think about if you need the storm door or not. We took ours off and it really is a nicer and cleaner look. If you benefit from having it, then consider painting the frame the same color as the door color, and spray paint the brass trim black (which will also match the light fixture and house numbers).

  • 9 years ago

    Nice, carriebear!

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you all for your suggestions and ideas! Can you believe we bought this house and have yet to see it!!?? We're in CA and the house is in TN! We'll get there in May. I'm really leaning toward a blue door so I'll need to reread your suggestions for the shutter color. Now that I'm reviewing other photos of the house I'd say the roof is brown. Thank you for the landscaping suggestions as well. I am fortunate to not have to work and stay-at-home with my two youngest children so we'll be out changing the landscaping this summer and I can't wait. Since I'm home all day I'd probably use the storm door for light (I love light). If the sun is bearing down in the front room I might end up taking it down as it'd be closed most of the time. Great suggestion though. If you have anymore ideas please post. This is just a wonderful site for great advice. I will be sure to repost when we get there and make these changes.

  • 9 years ago

    You bought a house without seeing it????? I hope you at least got a home insurance policy from the seller? And had it inspected by someone you trust?

  • 9 years ago

    Lol, of course!!


  • 9 years ago

    Megan, we live in Southern CA. I'm guessing you found what you get for your money in TN a bit more appealing...? I often find the difference in real estate prices way beyond astounding when I look at some other parts of the country.

  • 9 years ago
    I think cream colored shutters and a nautical blue door would make you happy and perk the pace up for starters!
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Many things you can do that will help. The first would be to uncover the right side of the house by removing the clumpy hedge. Then the right will counter balance the visual weight of the garage side. Replace the orange mulch with something more subtle that compliments the house colors once the painting is done. Personally, I don't like the skinny faux shutters and think the windows can speak for themselves if given the right coat of paint to contrast with the siding. When is the roof due for replacement? I keep looking it and thinking it doesn't look exactly right. If in the next few years, that color change will be major.

  • 9 years ago

    I agree with Deco^

  • 9 years ago

    Chloebud, we are a military family but I'm from KY. With our very large family it is actually more affordable for us to buy rather than rent in the short and long term. We will save more than $500 a month! I think I'm set on the cream shutters and naval blue door. I'll be sure to update you all. Thank you!


  • 9 years ago

    Megan, buying is usually the better way to go, and saving $500/month sounds great!