Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patyarias

Need Help with Drapes.

patyarias
7 years ago
I'm looking for already made drapes, until now my options are Pottery Barn, JCP and Bed and Bath Beyond. I really like the pinch pleat style in a cream color.

Comments (64)

• patyarias
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    What length do I need if I want to place the rod right under the crown moldings?. I have 10 foot ceilings. The dining room blinds were half open maybe that's why it looks darker than the living room. But I would love to change the lights, but I'm going to have to wait for that.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

https://www.halfpricedrapes.com/seal-grey-cotton-linen-blend-curtain.html

If you're going to order ready made drapery panels, check to see what sizes are available and decide on how you plan to hang the drapes, rings, pinch pleat, grommet etc. Then given those dimensions you determine where to hang the rods.

• patyarias
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm thinking pinch pleats with rings.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

The nice thing about Halfpricedrapes.com is you can order readymades...but they also offer custom in a lot of the fabrics..so you can choose header, lining,length and width and they come quickly!!

what is the measurement from bottom of crown molding to floor?

• patyarias
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I will measure tomorrow morning. I will need help choosing all those details because I have no idea.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

No worries Paty..I can walk you through it!:))

1. you need the measurement from bottom of crown to floor

2. Width of window

3. Do you want light filtering lining or blackout?

I will check in with you tomorrow and help with your sizes for order.

• patyarias
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you so much Julie.

1- 114 inches
    2- width of window 34 1/2. But if we include the frame of window is 41 /58.
    3- I would like light filtering lining. I do not need black out lining, but I wonder if this will help the drapes looking better or more fuller?.
  • User
    7 years ago

Why do you need lining if you have blinds....are you not keeping them

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

When adding lining it gives the panels a nice drape and it will give a thicker solid feel..unless you want a very soft light casual feeling and look than no lining needed...with pinch pleat in a more formal setting I do one layer of lining To keep a minimum of light filtering through so the drapes have a very finished solid look during the day and night...has nothing to do with having blinds or shades on window it is all about the drape of the fabric...

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Hi Paty will post all you will need to place order for you in the AM...had a very busy day so going to get some shut eye;/ talk to you tomorrow!:))

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Ok I get it HIWE but that room it gets soft natural lighting when the blinds are open....there's not much light coming in when the shades are closed

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    7 years ago
    Check out IKEA, you would be surprised
  • Nancy
    7 years ago

Home Interiors with Ease,

I love you home. Can you let me know where you got the black vases in front of your fireplace?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Hi Nancyramos98

Thank you for your compliment on my Family Room!

I purshased them from Pier One a few years ago..they are garden decor they sold in the spring. They are made of dark bronze metal...I love them too!

• patyarias
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm not planning on closing the drapes at night just the blinds. I will place the drapes outside of the frame of the window mostly for decor.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

how many windows are that size?

• patyarias
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I have 11 windows.
  • patyarias
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    But I think I only need 14 panels.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Ok so have been speaking with halfpricedrapes customer service...the Heavy faux linen in Barley does not come lined and you can not get lining...but they did say that this is a heavy fabric that is only light filtering and drapes beautiful...so that said this is what I would order per window...

french pleat header

109" length panels

for pleated you order the desired finished width...so I would order 25" finished width...that is a 50" width panel pleated.

so you would need 2.....25" pleated panels per window if flanking both sides.

1. so go to halfpricedrapes.com

2. click on custom tab

2. search Linen

3. Click on picture of Barley Linen

4. Click next

5. Pick header...French Pleat

6. Desired width 25"

7. Desired length 109"

you will see price per panel...add desired quantity

if you have any problems don't hesitate to contact me zmom40@aol.com

I will check in this evening:)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

Thought this would help!

• patyarias
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Sharon where can I get this coupon code?
  • patyarias
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Home interiors with Ease thank you for all your help. I just ordered some samples of this fabric, just to make sure the color is right. Also the paint we have now is SW Botany Beige. I like it but in the future I would like to change it for a light greige color ( grey with some beige). Any recommendations will be appreciated.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    7 years ago

At check out put in.... Newar25...for 25% off your order

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I think the faux silk would look nicer...because it's soft subtle and will give the look your going for

• patyarias
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you Claire, I like silk too, I did order a sample.
  • Sharon
    7 years ago
    I just googled around for coupon codes and tried maybe 3-4 until I found one that worked and I pulled the trigger immediately and placed my order. My drapes came about 5 days later.
  • Sharon
    7 years ago
    These are what I purchased.
  • patyarias
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    After taking a long break from my drapery dilemma because we decided to focus on getting our outdoor space ready for the summer, I am back to our windows treatments. I order 3 different samples from HPD. The one on the left side is the dupioni silk in moon glow color, and the one on the right is heavy faux linen in white. Any thoughts.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

No question I would go with the heavy faux linen! Gorgeous and classic looks like they hang and drape beautiful...you could add a decorative trim in Beige or gray along the leading edge..so very easy to do...

Saddlebrook · More Info

• melinda noe
    6 years ago
    I love your area ! Very classic looking . I'm looking for a dining room table where did u get your ?? Love it !!
  • patyarias
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    You were right HIWE the faux linen hangs beautiful and no need to iron. I just wish I could get it lined. The silk dupioni is harder to give a nice fold and looks wrinkle. But my husband thinks it looks more elegant, so we were thinking maybe using the silk ones in the foyer and dining room where I have more natural light and the faux linen in the family room. ? I will post a picture later of the dining room. Also I like the idea of adding a little trim to the faux linen.
  • patyarias
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    bkmnoe I got the table from Thomasville Furniture.
  • patyarias
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here is pictures from the dining room.
  • User
    6 years ago

I like both of them, it's just that the linen is more sturdier than the silk also the the linen makes the room a little brighter and the silk seems to be blending with the wall color even though it has a sheen texture to it.

• patyarias
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Is it okay if I do the Dupioni silk in moon glow in the Dining Room and the white linen in the family room?
  • User
    6 years ago
    I would use the silk everywhere cos your family/living room also looks elegant
  • Kelly Henson
    6 years ago
    Try the Shade Store
    https://www.theshadestore.com/mobile
    We had custom made roman shades and pleated drapes measured, made and installed by them. They have excellent quality and a wonderful CS department. We are so pleased with our purchases.
    They send out large samples of fabrics at NO charge.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

I think that is a great idea..they are both soft subtle colors and silk is best for a formal area...the linen in white is very sophisticated for the other areas of the home..if it was me I would do white linen throughtout still a formal look and style very classic application.......I love using silk drapes in master bedrooms!:))

• allmystufff
    6 years ago

Lovely home. I saved up and had custom linen and so glad I did. Your home is lovely ....

• allmystufff
    6 years ago

I have PB in other rooms and they are lovely but there is nothing like heavy custom drapes ...they just hang better

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

After looking closer at your drapes the white really looks amazing and so much more contemporary perfect with your decor style....you could double up on the white linen in the dining room to really amp up the fuller more formal feel and do single panels in the other areas of your home...just a thought:))?

• User
    6 years ago

your right the linen is contemporary but i just feel like that it's not part of the glam aspect of the room, to me it seems like that's what she was going for.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

I don't see glam?

• patyarias
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I would love ideas for a trim for the white linen.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

You could add a tan and white or gray and white..I love Greek Key and Fret design..this Gray Fret trim is 3" wide would be gorgeous!

so many to choose from...If you have a Hobby Lobby near by the sell and very nice gray Greek Key trim...you can set the trim back 1-2" from leading edge.

• N LC
    6 years ago
    Home interior with Ease : i am impressed by the help you have given on this page!

On another note: I vote for the linen drapes, to me without a doubt they look better than silk in the room, Brings more light, elegant without being too overdone, falls more gracefully..

The silk looks too glam and too rigid for me. I can see the appeal for an elegant evening dining room but I wouldn't like to have that decor on a sunny day with my family. Linen can be both elegant and casual, silk is not as versatile.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Anaisava.....Thank you so much for your positive comment! I have such a passion for design and try to give informative and honest advice:)) I love the linen and yes it can be casual and elegant depending on its surroundings! And IMO classic.

• patyarias
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I'm thinking about ordering the curtain panels pinch pleated, hoping that this will help the dupioni silk hang better. Julie, have you see them from HPD? Is it worth it the extra expense? Also can I iron the panels or steam them. I am also meeting with someone I found on Houzz that lives 8 miles from my house to price hemming the curtains and possibly doing pinch pleats on the panels.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Silk is very tricky it never really looks pressed that's just the way they are...I have tried steaming them but really can cause more problems..it has to be set on very low setting so the steam starts sputtering so I have never tried it again..you can try ironing on back side very low iron setting...I would do pinch pleats on the linen it will look a bit more formal.

• patyarias
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    And the white linen is the winner for the family room and sitting room next to the kitchen. I just place the order for the 120 inches panels. I will have them hem and possibly pinch pleated by someone local. I think I would like to use a trim in the sitting room but I don't have any gray in that area so I'm not sure what. I will post pictures when they are hanging. Still undecided with Dining Room.