Software
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekm

Victorian in SoCal

9 years ago

SoCal isn't known for its older homes, much less Victorians. This one has clearly been lovingly maintained and tastefully modernized (IMO).

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Long-Beach/953-Chestnut-Ave-90813/home/7615724



Comments (12)

  • 9 years ago

    what beautiful woodwork and glass. Love the bathrooms. The corner stove is a little odd, but otherwise, I'd love this. Thanks for sharing.

    aimeekm thanked gsciencechick
  • 9 years ago

    Love it, very nice!

  • 9 years ago

    So pretty! And for CA that price seems really low. (It would be low for my area and I always assume CA will be much higher.) Love that house!

  • 9 years ago

    And for CA that price seems really low

    The price is really low. The neighborhood isn't the greatest. If it was less than a mile either east or south, it would easily be worth double.

  • 9 years ago

    I love it, except for the unfortunate stove situation and the carpeting.

  • 9 years ago

    Here's a Victorian in Venice that sold for $1.6 million; Zillow estimate for this is $2.357 million, which is more in line with Venice prices. It appears that Victorians are not that popular in SoCal and therefore less expensive. I know of at least one other Victorian in Venice that I like, however.

    Long Beach is known for having much cheaper real estate than beach areas further north. I moved just south of Venice (to Westchester) because I could not afford Venice, but then I also wanted to get away from the traffic. I did not want to go as far as Long Beach, however, which I consider too remote. A friend who moved there told me that crime is more of a problem there as well.

  • 9 years ago

    When I first was getting out of grad school I interviewed at Cal State Long Beach late 90's. I thought it was so expensive then but it was cheap compared to now!

    Thanks, Lars, love that one, too.

    It's funny that my two favorite types of houses are MCM and Victorian, kind of the opposite ends of the spectrum.


  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    There's a lovely historic neighborhood near downtown LA called Angelino Heights that is full of Victorians. The homes in this area are often featured in movies and TV shows. MJ's "Thriller" video with the dancing zombies was filmed there. I took a walking tour through the neighborhood years ago - worth a visit if you are ever in that area or find yourself with time to kill before a Dodger game.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Yes, I remember discovering this neighborhood. WONDERFUL houses!

  • 9 years ago

    Even before I saw the address, I thought, "That's Long Beach". The city has some beautiful historic roots.

    That neighborhood is not the greatest. Although, with the revitalization of downtown and the East Village, it may become a smidge more desirable in the future.

    I moved to Long Beach a few years ago, and I love the city. The city has a lot of hidden gems, a lot of vibrancy and a lot of sunshine.

  • 9 years ago

    It was purchased at a foreclosure sale 12 months ago, for $360,000. Really nice-looking house. I don't usually go for the Victorian style, but this one has simpler lines.