Software
Houzz Logo Print
housebuilder328

Let's clean the air........in your house!

9 years ago

I used to think air purifiers are a gimmick, but they actually do work.
Does anyone have any recommendations for air purifier models that clean
the air nicely and also remove odors? I'm most concerned about kitchen
cooking odors so they need an active charcoal filter. There's a wide
range of air purifiers from cheap $30 models that don't do anything to
ones that cost over $500 and have very good reviews. I need one that
can cover a large square feet area. I'm okay with spending money if
it's an investment. The better models seem to collect lots of dust,
allergens, pollen is high in our NC area, and we do a lot of cooking!


Anyone have any recommendations on models? I am considering these 2 models:

Aeramax 300
https://www.amazon.com/AeraMax-Purifier-Allergy-4-Stage-Purification/dp/B00D8Y1YNC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489272339&sr=8-1&keywords=aeramax+300

Airmega 300s
https://www.amazon.com/AIRMEGA-Smarter-Enabled-Purifier-Covers/dp/B01C9RIARQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489272355&sr=8-1&keywords=airmega+300s

Comments (5)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Aeramax 300

    It is only designed to treat an area of 300 to 600 square feet. As with any air cleaner you have to change the filters regularly at additional cost... otherwise it will do the work of a paper weight.

    If you have a home of 2000 square feet you would need 3 to 6 or possibly 7 of these models to clean the air in your home.

    Airmega 300s

    They claim better coverage up to 1256 sq ft with the base model. But you really have to think hard on this if you place this in a small room. If you have a wide open floor plan it would probably be marginally better than the Aeramax 300.

    The problem with an air cleaner that sits in the corner of the room is that it cleans the air in the corner of the room in which it sits. It can't clean bad air in another opposing room until this air some how reaches the unit to tell it to turn on.

    As with the first model, it requires maintenance in the way of changing filters.

    --------- Any Room Air Cleaner --- Final Conclusions------------

    Given how people tend to forget to change even regular air filters within the HVAC system these kinds of appliances are unlikely to do much.

    If you're satisfied with just air cleaning one room then they might fit that need. But as time passes and maintenance costs stack up it's unlikely that the clean air nirvana will last long.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The best air purifiers are those that are properly maintained with regular filter changes. That costs money. If you're not prepared to do that... waste your money on something else.

  • 9 years ago

    I use three Winix WAC5500 to keep my home clean during the winter months where opening an window is not an option. Compared to the years when we did not have one, we feel and stay much better. These three machines stay on 24/7 for approximately 5 months.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    As long as you're changing the filters and doing the maintenance on them there's nothing wrong with it. If you're not doing the maintenance, then it's unlikely these machines are doing anything more than recirculating your cooties. LOL.

    Opening a window does not necessarily provide clean air. It may be cleaner than the air you have indoors. But you have to define what 'clean' is.

    Pollen, dust, smog, ozone can all exist in out door air to some extent. No two people are alike when it comes to allergies, which is typically the reason people buy these kinds of devices.

    I stress the maintenance issue, because if I had a nickel for every filter, coil, condenser, blower motor I've seen caked in years of dust I would have long ago retired.

  • 9 years ago

    Honeywell 300 here - its ok for my 500 sf apartment. Got it bc of my smoking neighbors. They dont want their house to smell like smoke so they stand outside our windows/furnace intake to smoke.

    Problem is finding charcoal filter replacements that are as well made (ie no gaps) as the orignal that came with the unit.

    The charc filter I have now has an odd smell which kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a charcoal filter.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals