Software
Houzz Logo Print
kmcd1701

Help with decorative brackets

9 years ago
So I'm finally getting around to putting up my open shelves in the kitchen and yes, I know how everyone feels about open shelves ;-) but I'm confident it will all be okay as I'm a bit of a neat freak anyway.

What I am not confident about is how to make the brackets work in terms of balancing the look on either side of the stove as there is only open shelves on one side.

Also, ideally I wanted 2 brackets placed far enough apart to balance the look of the bracket per shelf. But the studs are quite close together and I think it looks odd just having the two in the middle of the shelves. So I want to add 2 more brackets on the ends of the shelves. But unlike my inspiration picture, my future husband refused to float the shelf above the tile as he said it would just fall down without support from the brackets.

My question is because the brackets on the bottom shelf are the same height as the microwave cabinet on the other side of the stove, should I add a set of brackets to that shelf also? Purely decorative of course.

The brackets would look similar to the last photo except there would be a cabinet instead of the open shelves to the right of the stove.

Thoughts, please! TIA!

Comments (19)

  • 9 years ago
    This is a picture of the microwave cabinet.
  • 9 years ago
    Have 4 brackets on all shelves for uniformity.
    I noticed there was something off with your shelves and loo!king at your inspiration picture it hit me, your shelves are to thin. Look at your inspiration and you'll see the thickness is almost double from what you have. It gives more of an impact and presence.
  • 9 years ago
    I know. But that is what my fiancé brought home and he's right in the middle of doing his masters degree and I was shocked he wanted to come over to start the project at all...I didn't have the heart to say anything. I'll go out looking on my own for thicker shelves. And yes, I am planning on adding 4 brackets per shelf but should I include the microwave shelf when adding brackets or just leave that side as is? Thanks!
  • 9 years ago

    I wouldn't add the brackets to the microwave shelf -- they would look too dainty for the bulk of the appliance. You've done a great job on on the shelves (though agree they could be thicker).

  • 9 years ago

    I wouldn't add brackets to the microwave shelf either. Once you get the shelves painted, I think the "thinness" won't matter. Or, you could add trim at front of shelves to make them appear thicker, either hanging down or pointing up - pointing up it would be like a lip on the front of the shelves. Have you considered putting the brackets on the far sides of the shelves, on top, turning them upside down and have them "pull" the shelves up, instead of supporting them from underneath?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    another vote for no added brackets on the microwave shelf, and a trim on the front of the shelves for the appearance of thickness. don't make a lip up, you'll have to raise items over it, annoying for the upper shelf. down will shield the mechanics of the brackets a bit, and look better. try it with lightweight cardboard first if you like, but you can buy paintable trim wood even in a place like michaels or ac moore.

    not too thick, it will cut into the space available in the shelf below.

    (and yes, add end brackets for the shelves on the left)

  • 9 years ago
    Add another board to each shelf for appropriate thickness and run veneer tape across the front to make each appear to be a single thick board. Cheap, cheerful, and easy.
  • 9 years ago
    Thanks, everyone! I guess I should have posted before I went and ordered 2 more brackets! Lol.

    I can't add trim because the shelves are already 12". But I was thinking of putting two shelves together and filling the gap with paintable filler, but I'll look into veneer tape. Whatever will give me the smoothest seam.
  • 9 years ago
    I don't understand why you can't add a narrow trim piece. It would probably add only 1/4 to 3/8" to the 12" and would extend downward.
  • 9 years ago
    Like this.
  • 9 years ago

    I would remove them entirely and get true floating shelves from Ikea with no brackets. Those filigree brackets don't go with your shaker cabinets.

  • 9 years ago

  • 9 years ago
    Grover, IKEA shelves are just over 10" and my dishes are 11" besides, they would never support the weight of dishes, which these shelves need to do. I love the look of my inspiration shelves but I do value your opinion. Thanks.

    I didn't realize the trim pieces are so thin. I will certainly look into it.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    What's your plan for backsplash?

    If you like Grover's advice above and you're inclined to continue looking still, I did see these, stainless shelves that are 11" deep from IKEA. I noticed you're on TELUS, so the Canadian pricing would be accurate. (p.s. I have open shelves in my kitchen and I like them) http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/20031289/

  • 9 years ago
    White arabesque with with grout.
  • 9 years ago
    Erica, do your open shelves support the weight of dishes? Did you have to use heavy duty supports anchored into the wall.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I don't have my whole set on them - just select colourful favourites and a lot of my spices, oil and vinegars. They were rated to hold 50 lbs with the hardware they came with though (IKEA Stenstorp 120cm).

  • 9 years ago
    Mostly done with the kitchen shelves now. Haven't had a chance to look for trim as I just wanted everything done before Easter. Getting a new coffee maker for my new little coffee station today. But other than that, I like the way it turned out. I think I even live with the 1 inch shelves as the microwave cabinet is 1 inch also. But looking for ideas for under cabinet lighting. I don't want any wires so need battery operated ones. I've found some online but wonder if anyone has any recommendations of a good brand? Thanks.