Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlmdemko

Kitchen cabinet advice please

mrgrt dmko
7 years ago

We are designing our kitchen for our new house and our builder recommended a designer that works only with Medallion and Mid Continent. I have read several reviews online about Medallion and it seems like the quality is just not there. Mid Continent seems a little better in quality, but their cabinet options are limited. We are interested in having painted wood cabinets with inset doors. Would like to know if anyone has used these two companies and their experiences as well as any other cabinet companies you would recommend. We are even thinking having them built by an Amish company as our house will be in NW Indiana.

Comments (5)

• Stan B
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

What features are you looking for that makes you say Mid-Continent is higher quality? Quality is a loose and poorly defined term but "we know it when we see it". I would caution against using online reviews as a primary indicator of quality. Many online complaints about cabinets are actually complaints about the designer/installer not the cabinet itself. One example is plywood vs fiberboard construction. Some people feel that by definition plywood indicates higher quality than fiberboard but there are plenty of experts who will disagree and will say that there are high quality fiberboard products as well as low quality plywood products.

• mrgrt dmko
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Stan Z, I have done a ton of online research and Medallion has many reviews that focus on the quality of the cabinets, many issues of problems with construction and finish, and a lack of follow thru by Medallion on their warranty. Overall, the consensus seems to be that they are designed to last approx 10 years. Mid Continent seems to be have more durability, better construction, better finishes that do not wear off, and better customer service. We would like to have the best of all of these worlds with options like doors that swing upwards or can be slid into the cabinet when open.

• barncatz
    7 years ago

We have Medallion quarter sawn oak cabinets that have held up beautifully for twelve years. I think Medallion has different lines or price points. In last year's refresh, we added more. We also have a Medallion TV cabinet where the doors push back completely into the cabinet sides (forgot name) and that has held up as well for the past 8 years, even though that hardware is supposed to be iffy.

mrgrt dmko thanked barncatz
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

Try to find a dealer who sells Shiloh. They do a beautiful inset door cabinet and there is NO upgrade charge for inset!

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

My twenty year old cabinets are Medallion. Unfortunately, that only means that twenty years ago, they made a fairly strong cabinet with sold wood doors:)