Software
Houzz Logo Print
sheila4211

Curb Appeal

9 years ago
Hi
Any ideas on ways to increase curb appeal on the front of this cottage? Front of cottage is solid brick. Thank you.

Comments (12)

  • 9 years ago
    Do you have a picture from further away? It's hard to tell. I'm not a fan of the big cement porch... it looks sad. What about painting it white? Make it pop with happiness?

    Take away the smaller pots and add a big pot with a hybiscus or something else sunny there.
  • 9 years ago

    I would clad the concrete with brazilian slate tiles to pick out the colour in the brick. Then replace smaller pots with one huge terracotta one. Slate and teracotta, a match made in heaven.

  • 9 years ago

    Maybe a good power wash to begin with. We need a pic from further back to make any further suggestions.

  • 9 years ago
    your house numbers, shutters, trim and chairs are all fading into the brick. there is no contrast or color. how about a grayish periwinkle, a rich burgundy, what ever you like, but bold. even charcoal would be better. paint your flower pots too.
  • 9 years ago
    and lose the solitary door shutter. 0 or 2.
  • 9 years ago
    House numbers and trim in a dark color. A flowering or colorful tree in a large patio pot....trimmed up to allow sitting below. Stain or patio paint in a darker color selected from the brick. A painted multi-pane window frame (no glass) hung on the wall.
  • 9 years ago
    Hi
    Thought I would add a few more pics to give you a better idea of my dilemma. Thank you.
  • 9 years ago
    Thanks for the extra pics. Now it makes more sense. I like doctornancy's color choice for shutters- pick up a deep slate color for contrast. I also like the idea of a slate color porch. Contrast with a bright pot/plant/ or chairs.
  • 9 years ago

    What's growing on the brick? I'd have it removed whatever it is & have it all power-washed. I would then think about doing something with the porch. I'd paint the shutters another color, add a window box below the window & perhaps have a pergola trellis constructed over the front door & window, I'm just not sure about that though, I would have to draw it out to better visualize it. I'd place a bench or bistro set in front of the large expanse of brick & place large vertical planters on either side. I'd look for something ( nothing "cutesy") to mount on the brick, large metal art or a trellis/planter box planted with a vining plant of some sort.

  • 9 years ago

    Get rid of that ivy! It looks like The Blob is consuming your house!

    Ivy is gross, and it's damaging to the brick and mortar (invading any crack and then growing and pushing the cracks wider, preventing the brick from drying out, mold and mildew buildup, etc.). If you just love ivy, build a trellis or pergola for it to climb on.

    Get rid of all the shutters. And even if you don't want ivy, a pergola would tie the porch into the house better.

  • 9 years ago

    I don't see your house as cottage-like at all, and to my eye the shutters (window and door) look very out of place. With the asymmetrical shape, large flat wall and the roof angle, this house looks very modern to me.

    https://www.houzz.com/photos/bicton-contemporary-pool-perth-phvw-vp~5612997

    Bicton · More Info


    I'd use MCM elements such as horizontal fencing in natural wood tones, which would look great with your brick. Cover the porch completely. Use oversize house number in a modern shape. Plantings should also be MCM - lots of grasses. Flowers should be square beds of the same thing, e.g. day lilies which have a grass-like feel. Unless you actually sit out on your porch, I wouldn't add chairs.

    As far as the ivy (or whatever climber it is), get it off the roof. They will lift the roofing. Generally these plants won't harm the brick. Do you know what it is? https://laidbackgardener.wordpress.com/tag/do-climbing-plants-damage-walls/