Software
Houzz Logo Print
am1121

Update Exterior of 1990's Ranch

9 years ago
We've done a lot of work on the interior but this is the year of the exterior. Looking for help on updating the front of the house and new paint job. So far we have a new roof, have ordered new windows (clear glass, no panes) and have got on the books with painter in July.
I know we are taking out the columns and pickets on front porch, with two new side columns. Can't decide what style of column to go back with.
Also need help with visualizing what front of house would look like after changes.
I'm really liking the dark grey/white trim look. But am worried I would get tired of it. We last painted our home in 2003!
Any help/advice would be so appreciated! Thanks

Comments (18)

  • 9 years ago
    So my program isn't really designed for this but I gave it a shot. Tried the craftsman style with gray. Didn't like it too much. The second one I used a dark navy blue(hard to tell) but I liked the effect of a darker color in the peaks. Also added plinths to the top of the windows with a black inner trim and square columns. Like this one better. Updating you landscaping would help tremendously.
    am1121 thanked Nancy Ingram
  • 9 years ago

    The landscaping is very odd, to my eye. Neither one thing or another. And the shrubs under the window look like they might soon outgrow their spot, covering in the windows. I would remove all of them under the windows. The house colour doesn't bother me, but maybe it needs updating.

    am1121 thanked J Williams
  • 9 years ago

    Nancy, I really like the second photo as well. Thanks so much. J Williams, The landscape (if you would even call it that) is def going. Just waiting for all the trampling of contractors to get done. Not a strong spot for me at all, everything always get out of control!

  • 9 years ago
    In regards to the house I would take out the small railing and put in 2 large posts on each side to really open up that entry. I'm sure it's not holding any weight that railing and posts just seems to spindly but guess you would have to have that checked out.
    am1121 thanked houseatthelake
  • 9 years ago
    You could just build up the outside posts.
    am1121 thanked houseatthelake
  • 9 years ago

    I was already saving a picture of those plants. Just have no vision with plants and they really have to take care of themselves...lol.

    Yes I just want to keep the 2 outer posts but bigger. Building them up is a good idea. The others are not structural.

    The house needs all new caulking and filling in of nail pops where water has gotten into the siding so a paint job is a must otherwise I'll have a polka dot house! Looking to change color just for something new. It's been light blue and now the tan so I would like to go with something else.

    Thanks for all your suggestions!

  • 9 years ago
    What is the siding material of your home? I agree, that Nancy's second rendering is really nice. Keep the maple tree when you ditch the other shrubs! It's very pretty.
  • 9 years ago
    Square columns suit the house. Put up wider shutters, but stay away from black. Paint the gables white so grey would give the house a stronger line.
    am1121 thanked jbtanyderi
  • 9 years ago

    Cute house!

    Check with your painter before you decide. I recently had my house painted and every painting contractor I interviewed warned that dark colors fade much more quickly than lighter colors. This might be a regional phenomenon, but worth checking out.

    am1121 thanked einportlandor
  • 9 years ago

    I would remove the shutters entirely. They are dating the exterior.

    am1121 thanked smitrovich
  • 9 years ago

    Kellie, the Maple tree was part of her landscape. It does look very nice there though. My siding is something they used in the 90's, similar to press board. It is still holding together but will replace the pieces needed with cement siding.

    Jbtanyderi, I thought square as well. Didn't know if it was just because I was sick of the skinny round ones.

    Smitrovich, I had thought of that and then putting wider brick molding around the windows.

    Einportlandor, I had read that online as well. We are in GA so not sure if it would apply but makes sense.

    Thank you all for your help!

  • 9 years ago
    These colors would look nice with the body of the house being amazing gray. Window trim the shoji white and the door the mineral grey. I think taking the shutters off is a good suggestion and removing the spindles and really small columns from the front. I would just add 2 6x6 pressure treated posts and paint them the same color as the window trim. Also I think the door you have is too formal looking for this house. A four or six panel door would look much better.
  • 9 years ago
    Is the Amazing Grey a true grey or a grey green?
  • 9 years ago

    No it's not in the green family. If you look at it on SW website it's in the brown to black colors

    am1121 thanked Tammy Lawhorn
  • 9 years ago

    Those columns are definitely unique. I like them.

  • 9 years ago

    Tammy Lahorn, I really like that color! Thank you, I'm going to get a sample.

  • 9 years ago

    I'm glad you like it. It's gray but soft enough that it doesn't get heavy looking like a lot of grays do. Let me know how you like it once you sample it.

    am1121 thanked Tammy Lawhorn