bw5586604

Is Ortho Weed B Gon dangerous??

bw5586604
April 2, 2017

Hey everyone I am new to this forum and I thought it was a good time to join now since I have a very important question to ask. I have been a organic vegetable garden for the last 4 years or so and while working outside today a family member of mine sprayed Ortho Weed B Gon (not Max spray) around my berry bushes, peachs, plums and cherry tress to prevent weeds from over taking them.

Problem is that after a small Google search I've found out people list this product as a carcinogen and now I have no idea what to do. I tried washing it way with some water but I felt like that was making it worse :/.

Is there anything I can do to keep the plants safe from absorbing the chemicals or is it pointless? I really have no idea what to do. all the plants that have been sprayed produce well and I don't want to lose them...but at the same time I don't want to poison my family.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Directions clearly say to avoid garden areas, fruit trees, berries, etc. The active ingredient kills broad leaf plants, no matter what they are. A broad leaf herbicide cannot tell the difference between a valuable plant or a weed.

Have your family member read every word of the label.....find it on line if necessary. A person who can't or won't read a pesticide label from front to back, or cannot comprehend what they are reading has no business using such products.

Have that person locate the 800 number on the label and call the manufacturer about your options.

• faerygardener

You did post in the Organic gardening forum, so you should expect everyone here to tell you it's horrible. You are talking trees and shrubs - it's unlikely even the minutest amount would make it into them. You may want to consider that bacon and processed meats are also on the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) list of carcinogens and you'd have to drink the straight pesticide, I'm told by a U.C. Davis researcher - at more than a quarter tablespoon to slightly more than 1 gallon of herbicide every day for 2 years to have an exposure that’s equivalent to that of the lab animals in the tests. You'd have been better off not to try to wash it away as most of it is on the foliage of the weeds and you could collect and trash those. It's unlikely that your washing away efforts drove it into the soil much at all (if you had really sandy soil you wouldn't be growing those trees) but it's more unlikely that it will ever cause any problem for you. I'm hanging myself out to dry by saying this in this forum - I tend to follow organic practices except for minimal termite protection at the very base of my wood house in a forested area - but one application when you're talking trees and shrubs is really not a reason to panic. Just skip bacon for awhile if you're concerned about you health :-) .ps I'm not one of those folks live for argument and debate, so this is my opinion and I probably won't come back to this thread, rather a hot topic.

• kimmq

Ortho Weed-B-Gone can be dangerous depending on how it is abused. It can have an adverse affect on plants near where it is applied, a friend sprayed it near a Lilac several year ago and that Lilac has not produced as well as before the stuff as sprayed around it.

Will the fruits from the garden be bad for your family? Probably not.

• lazy_gardens

... you can't "unspray" it. If they did a good job of mixing it up and applying it only to the weeds it's not going to kill you, your family or your plants.

If they did a bad job of mixing it and were sloppy about the spraying or mistakenly thought the liquid would automatically "know" what is a weed and what isn't (yes, some people think that) and sprayed all over all the plants, they might have killed or damaged the bushes and trees.
    You need to have a chat with your "family member" about reading the labels and following directions because it's NOT recommended for use in anything but lawns because it's a "broadleaf" killer. (berry bushes, fruit trees are broadleaf plants).

And if you want to garden organically, make it clear to family members what you are doing so they don't decide to "help" with something like a soil sterilizer.

• lazy_gardens

"I've found out people list this product as a carcinogen"

It's on the "possibly" carcinogenic list ... WINE is on the KNOWN carcinogen list.

• henry_kuska

bw5586604 What are the ingredients in the Weed Be Gon product that was used around your berry bushes, peaches, plums and cherry tress?

https://www.austintexas.gov/sites/default/files/files/Watershed/growgreen/products.pdf