Software
Houzz Logo Print
ccambio

Base of spindles. Paint or not to paint?

9 years ago
I am almost done painting my formerly oak staircase and railings. I love how it is turning out, but the edge of the second story floor bothers me when viewed from below. The spindles end on a strip of oak, however my floors upstairs are maple. I toyed with the idea of painting the oak edge in the same color as the treads and railing so that it looks uniform from below. However, that would leave me with a dark border around my maple floors when viewed from upstairs. Plus, the line would have to be perfectly straight and I fear there would be no going back if I tried that! My gut says to leave it as is and treat it as upstairs floor. Either way, it will be less than perfect depending on your vantage point. Any advice? I need to finish the painting before the runner is installed.

Comments (7)