Software
Houzz Logo Print
freckle1

Kitchen common problem..Love/hate relationship going on

9 years ago


Cabinets match flooring and just tired of our look.....what suggestions might help brighten our space?

Comments (15)

  • 9 years ago

    I hear ya!! I have the exact same problem. Loved the kitchen 15 years ago when it was popular to have the cabinets and flooring match, but now is boring. I'm thinking about having the lower cabinets stained a darker color or veneered with a darker wood species. I would also like to do the same to the pantry and the fridge which are on opposite sides of the room. I have to have my symmetry. My kitchen is very symmetrical, so a bit easier to deal with. I was also thinking about getting a new back splash, in white, but some fun pattern as suggested above. I have runners that add to the look of the kitchen as well. If you like white cabinetry, or actually any color, you do have the perfect door style to pull it off. Maybe some new pulls and knobs and you'll be happy. Good Luck! Hope you get more suggestions.



  • PRO
    9 years ago

    So how much work do you want to do and how much can you spend? In addition to the suggestions made by Home Interiors with Ease, painting the cabinets would do a lot to brighten up the space. Also a new light fixture over the island and new seat covers for your bar stools.

  • 9 years ago

    Hmm, I like the suggestions but this 70s house used to be the blue gray color you suggested and I could never go that route. Need an updated look. Pic shows dark color but room gets lots of light. Wondering if a light neutral would be too washed out?


  • 9 years ago
    Have you browsed the kitchens on Houzz? Many, many ideas. What look or design style are you leaning towards? The one below gave me some inspiration for my kitchen. May not be your style, but if you browse through kitchens with maple flooring it may just give you some inspiration too. Kitchens are tough because they cost so much dang money to completely redo, but you want to love your home especially the kitchen.
  • 9 years ago

    I think that is why this is so hard. Lived here for 14 years and remodeled every square inch of this 4000 sq foot home. Now round two and not so sure putting a ton more $$ in this is wise, but Im addicted so here we go!

    Thanks, I will look up maple flooring now

  • 9 years ago
    Painting your cabinets, changing out the hardware and installing new lighting will make a bigger impact on your kitchen than installing maple flooring. It's your cabinets that look the most dated to me. Also, is the vault in your ceiling the same color as your walls? I am not sure how it looks in person, but it looks "off" to me in the photo,
  • 9 years ago

    freckle1, you and I sound like the same person. my husband hates it when I say, "I have an idea".

  • 9 years ago

    Add a rug!

  • 9 years ago
    Looks like a nice kitchen. As others have stated above, a rug or two would help break up all the wood. Maybe some lighter colored bar stools as well.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Maple flooring isn't going to solve the problem. It will simply cost more money to give you a floor that looks an AWFUL LOT like the one you already have. Maples starts out lovely pale blond...and then turns a STRONG yellow!!! Oops. That's a big/costly mistake.

    About 1/2 the price of new flooring = refaced cabinets. More bang; less buck! I'm in. And with the money you saved, you can have a new counter top. If the only counter top you change is the island, it will help IMMENSELY! But it all depends on what colour you want as the cabinet colour.

    The floors are fine...the cabinets are messing you up. You might want to rethink the wall colour to get "brighter". One thing I suggest before painting (especially if you can't figure out a colour) is to add two coats of PRIMER to your walls and then wait a few weeks. See what happens when you go to "white". Sometimes the wall colour is the thing that does the MOST to darken a room.

    I would hate to see a full change in kitchen stuff only to have the solution be something as simple as "wall colour".

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Have you thought about painting the cabinets? White or light grey will look nice (maybe match the frame of the door) - especially with the dark countertops....

    I'm not sure if you are up for DIY, but here's a link. Or hire a professional painter who will properly prime and wax the cabinets appropriately.

    http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/skills-and-know-how/carpentry-and-woodworking/painting-kitchen-cabinets


  • 9 years ago

    Truly appreciate all the input Wall color, chairs and rugs are easy enough. Then, perhaps cabinets and countertop if still need to brighten.

    Beth, keep those ideas flowing..haha

  • 9 years ago
    I have to laugh at Beth and freckle 1 because my husband says the same thing when I say I have an idea. He adds "how much is that going to cost."
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    There are many ways to update your kitchen. Why not take a look at a few of the kitchen renovations we have done to help kick start some ideas.

    Amy's Kitchen · More Info

    Chicago South Loop Kitchen Remodeling · More Info

    Condo Renovation: Kitchen · More Info