Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmong2000

drawing a blank for dining room wall

Jean
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Any suggestions for this dining room wall? I had a large mirror hung on the wall, but it was of equal weight and size to the artwork, and didn't feel right. Any suggestions?

Comments (36)

• Rina
    7 years ago

No reason at all not to have more art on that wall. Three works hung together like this are sufficiently different in format not to clash with the painting you have. Just get pieces you really like that are similar in feeling (quiet, restful, similar palette). I'd also swivel the sideboard around to face you as you enter the room as sketched below. And I think a rug would be a very good idea.

• cpaul1
    7 years ago

That little vignette you having going on there on the smaller wall is not suitable for a dining room ... that's something that should be in an entry way ... and I also think that's what is tripping you up on what to do with the other wall. So I would get rid of all of that. I would put a piece of furniture on that larger wall. And if you like that look, then put matching lamps on each end of that console with a piece of art in the middle. And then put down an area rug under the table and chairs.

Jean thanked cpaul1
  • Porter Edun
    7 years ago

you might consider the woodwork below as it's so similar to your room yet warms it up giving it a bit more character if this is a longer term home.

Jean thanked Porter Edun
  • Jean
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all. Your comments have been helpful and well taken. I'll work on this a bit more and post some additional pictures. There is actually a large hutch in that room which also should be considered. I'll send an additional picture. Everyone has commented that a rug would be nice. What style?

• Jean
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I don't really have room for furniture on the large wall at the head of the table. Here is a view of the entire dining room, as seen entering the room from the front of the house. Do you think leaving the console where it is, and adding a slender lamp on each side of the console would be better? Any other comments? I am attached to the print (it is signed and numbered 1 of 3 by Vermont artist Rory Jackson). Are you (Porter Edun and cpaul1) recommending I move it to a different room? I very much appreciate everyone's time and welcome suggestions.

• kaye1951
    7 years ago

Remove the console, put the Rory Jackson on the large wall. It needs a beefier frame. Perhaps mat the print with the mat on the edge of the picture rather than the edges of white showing. Yes, a bigger mat and a bigger frame.

• jdgail
    7 years ago

Your art is beautiful but too large to go over the console. Put it on feature wall - if you don't want to reframe, you can add other art, a smaller antique pine mirror, black and white farm animal print or you in front of an old barn, antique plate or platter, old tools, cutting board etc to enlarge the overall footprint and interest on the wall-build a collage. Even consider more modern farm themed piece in older frame to tie in light fixture etc. Find a smaller piece (2-3) for above your console-bottom of frame should start about 5" up from the top of console and no larger than about 5" in from each side. (width of your flat hand). One lamp only on the exiting console. The location of your chandelier doesn't allow you to rearrange the room.

Move your big piece now. You might end up with an extra nail hole or two when you get something new. Enjoy the hunt for new pieces -be patient.

Jean thanked jdgail
  • leelee
    7 years ago

The little chest with picture above needs to move to the "problem wall". It's too crowded on the small wall next to the curtains. It fits but it throws the room off balance.

Try that and show us a picture?

Jean thanked leelee
  • leelee
    7 years ago

It might not be quite big enough but you won't know until you try.

Jean thanked leelee
  • binakay
    7 years ago

I like the idea of moving small console table to another room. Putting painting you love on feature wall. Hanging 4 really pretty plates (that have similar colors of painting or just interesting white ones) around painting with those no-show plate hangers. I think that would fit your style of that room nicely.

BTW... I LOVE that light! What is the name/brand?

Jean thanked binakay
  • Jean
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I ran out of steam and didn't do much, but here is a picture with the cabinet moved out of the room and "Olivia's Barn" moved to the problem wall. I'll work on it more and post pictures. I have a thinner black console that would fit under the picture if you think I should or I could put the black console on the wall where the cabinet was. The console is from the same line as the table (10 years ago from Ethan Allen). I understand a beefier frame is recommended, and other pieces to build a collage on that wall. But what about the now empty wall? Is that okay as is? Also, binakay, you asked about the light over the table. I bought it from The Lighting House in Shelburne, Vermont, about three years ago. I don't remember the manufacturer. They have one similar on their website, but not the exact one: Dayna Shade Pendants. Here is a photo of "Olivia's Barn" in it's new location. So much better there. Thank you. To be continued...

• kaye1951
    7 years ago

What are the measurements of the black console, both width and depth? How wide is the print? The width of the console needs to visually support the width of the print. ( The console needs to be at least 25% wider than the print.). Is there room to push the chair from the table with the console under the artwork? I don't think I would put the black console in the corner. Visually, it just doesn't work there.

Jean thanked kaye1951
  • nomimama
    7 years ago

Do you have space to turn the table the other way? It mimics the length of the kitchen counter, which works ok but maybe would add more interest if turned. Just a thought...

Jean thanked nomimama
  • katinparadise
    7 years ago

The painting commands the attention it deserves in its new spot. I think the console under it would look nice. If that doesn't work, maybe just a tall plant in the corner would do the trick.

Jean thanked katinparadise
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

What about wall sconces on each side of the art? That would help give it a bit more presence and flank the wall and table nicely. A problem I see is the table isn't centered in the space because of the light fixture. Always a issue. But the art piece on that wall needs something. Bigger darker frame? I think a wider black frame would do it. Then some nice wall sconces.

LeClair 1-Light Dark Bronze Plug-In or Hardwire Industrial Wall Sconce · More Info
    Something like these and they are "plug in" so no new wiring needed, just need to get the little strips that cover the cords and paint them the color of the wall so they disappear. This is if you can't get wires and junction boxes in those walls. Pretty hard at this stage so the plug-ins. are great. Something kind of "farm like" would be interesting.

Jean thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Metal Industrial Adjustable Wall Sconce, Black · More Info
    Another example.

Jean thanked Flo Mangan
  • Susan Davis
    7 years ago

I like your art on the big wall and like the ideas about sconces....I also think a narrow painted primitive type bench under the painting wiht a lively cushion would be a possibility. The possibly a vertical art work duet or trio about the console up the wall with a tall lamp to help balance theweight of the china cabinet on the other side of the window. Have the curtains opened with woven roman shades on the French doors would also all more weight to the room to bridge the two groups of china hutch and console.

Example of art work and bench below; can be any style and color and print you like.....example of elements only. But it is quite cheery and would add color to your room...possibly golden yellow/orange to relate to curtains?

My Houzz: Easygoing Elegance for a Massachusetts Saltbox · More Info

Jean thanked Susan Davis
  • pat1250
    7 years ago
    Love that painting and where you have it now...there is is an austerity that works so very well with the dining chairs. Simplistic beauty!
    Jean thanked pat1250
  • Jean
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It was so fun to wake up to your comments this morning. My room is too narrow so I can't move the dining table the other way and I now realize the cabinet isn't the right size (too small) to pair with the print. The black console table (picture below), would fit even if someone were sitting in front of it - which isn't a daily occurrence. That table measures 17" x 55" but my print is 45" wide in its present frame, so that might not really work either. Maybe country modern sconces or simple plates on either side of the print fit more in line with my style. I definitely like not having the console in that room though. More airy. Do you all agree a rug under the table and chairs is preferable? I have some beautiful persian rugs in other rooms. Would that style work in this room too?

• kaye1951
    7 years ago

I appreciate your artwork even more after seeing it on the artist's web page! I am not sure if you need anything else on the wall with Olivia's Barn....I think a rug would look great. It should be large enough for chairs to be pushed from the table and still be on the rug.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    7 years ago

Ethan Allen decor

Jean thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Somehow a rug might detract from the simplicity you have going. I think plates would distract from the picture. Might be too "busy". Maybe just live with it like it is "simple" and clean and see how that feels. I think a bunch of sunflowers in a low vase on the table might be a great touch. Simple but distinctive and speak to the picture in a "farm field" way.

Jean thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Sunflower and Queen Anne's Lace in Glass Vase · More Info
    Something like this. Sweet and just enough to punch up the table a little bit.

Jean thanked Flo Mangan
  • jdgail
    7 years ago

After you move the smaller console out, bring in the lack table and put it on the big wall. Just set your artwork on it to see what you think and how you feel about the room left for the end chair. The style of the table definitely compliments your dining set so it won't hurt trying. The art has to be on that main wall so you can see and enjoy it more easily - whether you have furniture under it or not. Sunflowers suggested above would be beautiful.

Jean thanked jdgail
  • Jean
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I really like the look of sunflowers. The ones pictured above are 15" high. Is that the right height for my dining table?

• jdgail
    7 years ago

I'd say perfect for your size table in h and w

Jean thanked jdgail
  • PRO
    Atelier Armbruster
    7 years ago

Hello Jean,

We suggest adding some frames on this wall.

This picture might inspire you to place them :

Hope this helps,

Atelier Armbruster LLC,

http://atelierarmbruster.com

Jean thanked Atelier Armbruster
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

You can test size of arrangement, by getting some boxes about the same size and stacking up on the table and checking it out. But you table top is quite large and our art is hanging fairly high over the table. The only time it could be a problem is when seated at the table. Then you want a lower centerpiece for conversation. Then it gets moved to a side table or countertop to add to the overall decorative affects in your room.

Jean thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Here is a more compact arrangement and a mock up wit it. Lots of ways to do this. You might have a decorative pot and could get some artificial sunflowers and perhaps set on a platter or tray so you can make it your own.
    Jean thanked Flo Mangan
  • Debbie Mccall
    7 years ago
    Brighten it up in there. This is from www.briggsandstonewell.com
    Jean thanked Debbie Mccall
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago
    Sorry Debbie but that doesn't suit this owners' elan at all.
    Jean thanked Flo Mangan
  • Susan Davis
    6 years ago

Hmm rereadingn all the comments, but I think the china hutch should logically be on the largest wall where the art is. The hutch fits the room, functions in the room with china, etc. The walls on either side of the French door are too small for such large pieces and when they are lined up like they are, they overwhelm and take over the room; that is all you see, one long wall of three different unrelated items.

Love this room and it has dimensions similar to yours.....lovely that the hutch is used as a library.

Living Room · More Info

Again similar room dimensions; fun rug

French Country · More Info

Pretty centerpiece and again large hutch for china
    Westchester Residence · More Info

Moew casual application, but love the small consoles on either side of hutch with art work similar to each other on either side....

My Houzz: Heirlooms and Antiques Befit a 1778 Vermont Home · More Info

Pretty with a wallpaper application to add interst to room

Dining Room · More Info

This has dining chairs like yours and a very large chandelier; also more rustic dishes and baskets which would look great with your Annie's Barn painting. You could remove your hutch doors again for a more casual look?

Canary Cottage - Kitchen · More Info

Very pretty with contrast dishes in hutch like you have and the colonial chairs like you have.

Pine Briar Townhouse · More Info

It is a pain moving a large hutch but your could put butcher paper on the back wall in size of hutch to see if it appeals to you...and these are just suggestions, to have your dining room fulfill its' function.

Jean thanked Susan Davis
  • Jean
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It looks great on that wall in all those pictures but then what would I do with my print. It is a very special print.

• Jean
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Susan Davis. Thank You! I'd like to hear your opinion about the location of the print.

• Susan Davis
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Well, I would probably move the painting to another more prominent place in the house; possibly the living room, family room, or foyer, master bedroom, kitchen. It seems too small for the large wall and seems crowded on either side of the French doors! Not to detract from the art in any way, it just needs to shine and I do not think the dining room is the best place for it......that being said possibly sconces on either side of the French Door?

A picture is worth a thousand words!

Gorgeous arresting tablescape; maybe a cluster of colored glass vessels?

Atherton, CA New Home Construction · More Info

This shows a pair of antiqued glass mirrors to blur reflections in the room, with narrow demilune table and vase and flowers below the mirrors

Orinda Dining Room · More Info

Sconces that you can find that plug into the wall and then cover the electrical cord with a cord cover so no hardwiring. Also battery powered lamps/sconces are available now online, etc. They are amazing! Then a living plant below as this brings the outdoors in.

Spanish Colonial Revival · More Info

Again sconces and potted plan below

Beautiful country home in Essex, CT · More Info

This is an amazing vessel for plants, but could be any metal, glass, pottery, etc from garden center. And I love the black and white photo above; you could do photos of favorite places your have been, flowers, antique cars, anything that is interesting and relates to your family collections or likes....art work should be about 2/3 the width of the space it is going on.

Dining Room, Fitzroy Melbourne · More Info

Just some ideas that are not mirrors, or paintings. Looking for unexpected items....even wooden antique type garden tools...rakes, shovels, pizza oven board hanging on the wall, something sculptural....Houzz has a xilliion picts of rooms with anything and everything in them...amazing! Good luck, you have a beautiful room with strong but pretty pieces in them.

Jean thanked Susan Davis
Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022