Software
Houzz Logo Print
julia_spencer49

Need Chair Help ASAP

9 years ago

Here are two designs for our living room; there are NO electronics in here, no TV, etc. It is for sitting, visiting, reading. It has great light. The house is a retro modern feel. The rug is in place. I made two layouts, both with images. So, grey or white?? I'm going for the circular seating area with mid walking paths... Here is a fuzzy picture of the 7'9" rug:

Here is a layout with the grey chairs:


Here is a layout with the white chairs:


Thoughts/suggestions? The grey rectangle on the right wall is non-movable, non-negotiable and although it only hangs from the wall by 4", I made it 9" to ensure space constraints.

I would like side tables and possible foot stool/benches that are movable and could be used in the room, specifically thinking ahead to Christmas season when the tree will be up in the top right corner. :-)

I'd like to make a purchase this week as I need furniture in place by third week of May for a gathering.

Thanks for your helpful insight and ideas!

Comments (28)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Wow! These both look great...I slightly prefer the gray, but you have a beautiful layout either way!

  • 9 years ago

    Do you think the grey chairs with their very "square" shape play well with the round rug, or is it too harsh? That's my fear! Also, the turquoise cabinet - is it too "feminine" for the rest of the room? I don't like things to be "matchy, matchy" LOL. :-)

  • 9 years ago

    They do both look great and I am partial to the first you posted.

  • 9 years ago

    I think it all works well. The second option the chair is also on the, "square" side however the arms are spare. I still prefer the first photo and don't see it as feminine per se. I never thought, "feminine" when I first looked at it.

  • 9 years ago

    What's your opinion about doing either three light grey and ONE dark grey, or two light, two dark? Just curious as I saw a similar idea in a hotel lobby and it was fun. But, it had huge ceilings so in my own, normal living space, maybe mixing chair colors is too much? Thanks for the input Porter!!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Grey all the way!

    Leeward Renovation · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Angelica, where is this chair? Price and size info?

  • 9 years ago

    And that floor lamp?? :-)

  • 9 years ago


    Many lights this style if you google, "chrome arch floor lamp" some with smaller shades some with larger and some which arch more and or less. You know your space best to better tell which would suite the space I believe? Also the base may be marble or other.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=chrome+arch+floor+lamp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiSuMCL2dPTAhUozoMKHZSuC8oQ_AUICygC&biw=1744&bih=890#imgrc=RTSUHWtB4AxbZM:

  • 9 years ago

    I like the gray you selected however are you wanting something less heavy or ???

    Chantilly Lounge Chair GREY

  • 9 years ago

    4154-C1 Campbell Chair

    W31 D32.5 H34.5
    Seat H18 / Arm H23 / Inside Seat W20 D22
    Optional Belgian Grey finish shown

    available in other colors and fabric

  • 9 years ago

    I was just wondering if that grey chair was on Houzz as I didn't see it. And yes, I was thinking the grey chair I picked was too heavy, but not that I've slept on it I still like it so I think it's the one! :-) I've sat in a Campbell Chair - it looks great, but it's actually super hard and not comfy at all. So, still thinking I need to go with my first chair choice and stop questioning it.

  • 9 years ago

    Go with your instinct.... I'm not certain what chair you were asking about Houzz? Angelica's chair of the one below..........

  • 9 years ago

    So, I was out and about and completely fell in love with this chair called a "cuddler" and well, in jumped in my car and came home... :-) It is grey. And large. Here is the drawing with the new cuddler included, by the window. It swivels and is soooo cool. I added some fun pillows to pull in the turquoise look I'm going for. Now, do I stick with the light grey chair, or do I do the darker grey so it doesn't look like I tried to match?? It's hard to tell from photos, but it looks just off but closer for the lighter grey. My fear of the dark grey chair is that it will read REALLY dark in that room, with the very dark wood tile floors... However, there is a ton of light from all the windows and open floor plan, and the walls are a white with a touch of grey/blue, more modern for sure. Thoughts?? At this point, the only furniture I have purchased is the cuddler ( a light grey color that reads velvet feel), accent pillows for it that pull in the turquoise and dark grey, and the turquoise ottoman... The round rug was already in place. Ack! It's hard because the chairs are not returnable without some serious effort, and they are a lower price point so it might cost more to return them than to buy them. LOL. Help!

  • 9 years ago

    I think any of the two more square chairs will be fine... I think the one that is more round will look dated.


  • 9 years ago

    I actually like the darker with the teal tone vs. lack of a better word.

  • 9 years ago

    The round chair in that small picture is a small image of the actual cuddler chair, but it is obviously not to scale as it is much larger at 56". Kind of like a loveseat size. :-)

  • 9 years ago

    Here's an updated picture with the chairs. Now, I'm considering curtains. I prefer a contemporary look, but these windows are screaming for curtains with their inset walls. Also, these windows are original 1970 and are super cold in the winter and hot in the summer, also letting wind whistle through. One day we'll replace the windows when we are ready to tackle the outside, but until then... Thinking a curtain could help curb several issues at once. Thoughts on color/style? Chevron grey? Turquoise of some kind? Can you see the samples I have taped up? I'm not super fond of the flowery one, a bit girly for me.

  • 9 years ago

  • 9 years ago

    Here's the turquoise curtain sample, it's very pale:

  • 9 years ago

    I like the photo with 3 light gray chairs & "cuddler". I wonder if the round turquoise upholstered piece in the middle might be replaced by a round, clear glass coffee table to let the blue of the carpet show through? If so, I would eliminate the glass side table in front of the window. As for window dressing it appears that café curtains are currently in use. Rather than investing in new but temporary window dressing (roller shade, white wooden interior horizontal shutters) you might consider splurging on replacing the existing front window with a Pella picture window that has window blinds between the glass layers, as in you NEVER have to dust the blinds! Pella also makes their 3-pane windows with several choices of shades instead of blinds (also encased between glass) -- any choice is extra insulating and fuss-free.

  • 9 years ago

    Currently there are top/down fabric shades in the windows. Replacing windows isn't an option at this time, but yes, I looked at those windows but I don't love the blinds look. I prefer the top down/bottom up shades and we have them on all windows. They are fabric and not expensive, so when they are too dirty in a few years, bam, new ones. ;-) Also, it provides the white window look from the outside, which I much prefer. The round ottoman is a nonstarter for the husband, so it stays. The little black table is only temporary; I haven't ordered the other side furniture pieces yet and I set it over there this morning to put a coffee cup on and forgot to move it for the photo. :-)

  • 9 years ago

    Renzo blackout curtains allmodern.com

    Gray and off white


    Arrowsmith allmodern.com


    Dauberville light filtering allmodern.com


    Grayson " "

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    @Porter Edun, I'm so sorry! I didn't see these until now! Here is the other side of the room. Do you think the first one you posted from All Modern works with this.

  • 9 years ago

    I do like the first one best of the posted few. Yet, my second choice would color block as in color on bottom and neutral on top.... I typically go with a more subdued curtain with a lot of color in a living area. Hence, a color block you could match your color that is predominant at the bottom and neutral at the top.

  • 9 years ago
    Yes I was thinking the same. Maybe I need to find some fabric and make my own so that I can get a white or very light grey on top and either a deeper grey or even a blue bottom. It's also a weird length so I'd have to order 95s and alter anyway. Maybe the chevron pattern on the bottom?
  • 9 years ago

    You could do anything with the teal/blue you have at the bottom or down the sides. Just make sure it's a nice, "floppy" fabric for a nice draping..... Chevron to me will date fast. I'd pick a different pattern if you want a pattern as the room is rich in appearance......