Software
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_ward5135

Need help with these curtains

13 years ago
Ok. I'm getting a new curtain rod, for this one does not work. I will place the rod close to the ceiling making the drapes just touch the ledge. So, my question is, do these match? If they do i will order 2 more panels since these do not quit fit. I also can get floor to ceiling panels if these don't look good. I was just trying to save some money.

Comments (40)

  • 13 years ago
    Here is a pic without any curtains..
  • 13 years ago
    I am not a fan of curtains period so I would frame this window out and add plantation shutters. No saving money with this idea but that window is such a focal point it would be money well spent. If you are dead set on curtains, not liking this combo. Just a valance might be the way to go.
  • 13 years ago
    The room is not decorated..ideas are welcomed. :-)
  • 13 years ago
    Plantation shutters actually sound wonderful..maybe I'll do some price shopping today. Thanks!
  • 13 years ago
    Floor to ceiling always. Thicker heavier rod. Leave open not met to close. If you have to close. Add more 2 more panels. Not crazy about print, or color. But for sure add more.
  • 13 years ago
    I tried a valance before and I didn't like how it looked. What color combo would you suggest if I go the curtain route?
  • 13 years ago
    After seeing pillow, go a stripe using all colors from pillow on sofa. Teal and browns very nice.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Jessica- can you move the sofa to a different wall? Maybe put two club chairs and a end table with lamp between.
  • 13 years ago
    Travisinteriors- I already took the curtains down.lol. You're right floor to ceiling..any ideas on colors for the panels? The pillows on the couch make it hard to find the right colors.
  • 13 years ago
    Margo- I love that idea!!!
  • 13 years ago
    Margo- ideas on the color of the chairs?
  • 13 years ago
    Just saw other pics. Put heavier rod to ceiling. Just add striped panels on each end. Do not close, don't use rings to hand. Just put panel though rod. Open mini blinds. Is there a TV that sofa is looking TV ? Need more pic of room. Furn placement could be changed. Let's see more. TJMax for panels or Anna's, bed & bath. Ck these places for panels. Ikea has good rice to. I think you need 94-96" panels.
  • 13 years ago
    No valance, dated. You need color. I'm thinking the blue greens, peacock, teal. Can you move sofa to another wall?
  • 13 years ago
    My problem with curtains is that there is a shelf on that wall. The curtain rod would have to extend out far enough to cover. The sofa is a heavy fabric, so adding a heavy fabric to the wall will make this room cave like if you close them.
    As far as chair color, if you would remove the sofa pillows your possiblilites are endless. I am not a huge fan of a lot of pillow either LOL. I would put one pillow and a throw. What ever chair color you choose if it has a print you could get a throw and pillow with one of the lesser colors in the print.
  • 13 years ago
    If you are going to the floor, you'll need a deeper projection for the rod so it clears the ledge.

    Is this a lower level family room? While I think most rooms look better with full length drapes there are times and situations that they don't always work.
    In this case I would raise the rod and rehang the curtains so that just touch the ledge. Get a visual to see if that works and then exchange it for another one that you like, at least then you'll know which length you prefer.
  • 13 years ago
    And you might have to go wider on the rod so the drapes on each side just cover the window by a few inches and then the rest is over the wall just on each side of the window.
  • 13 years ago
    matchstick blinds with neutral ceiling to floor panels always look great
  • 13 years ago
    Travisinteriors- here are pics of the rest of the room.
  • 13 years ago
    The tv stand is going to be different
  • 13 years ago
    Pretend the lamp is not above the fireplace.
  • 13 years ago
    You think I should get different pillows for the couch? I saw at bed bath and beyond they carry pillow coverings. I'm having a hard time finding curtains that go with those pillows.
  • 13 years ago
    Jessica - what is above the fireplace?
  • 13 years ago
    What about fabric roman shades there.....?
  • 13 years ago
    Lamp and vase. ill be moving them soon. I'm waiting until I find curtains to put something up there.
  • 13 years ago
    Roman shades would be neat
  • 13 years ago
    Hi there Jessica. Roman shades would be good. Hang panels at ceiling or crown. Add side panels to coordinate. Ceiling to floor. I'll dig up a picture for you.
  • 13 years ago
    I would put the mirror and the W initial over the fireplace. I would move the sofa table under the mirror now over to the half wall where the chaise is now.
  • 13 years ago
    I would rather see TV where the sofa table and mirror are. Sofa table under window - no mirror. Then angle the chaise on the current TV wall and put the sofa under the railing where the chaise is, even if you have to angle it slightly. When budget allows I would be inclined to close the railing between the two room with a pony or full wall. Agree for fabric or fiber roman shades
  • 13 years ago
    If you use a roman valance hung at ceiling it will appear as though you have a nice big high window. If couch works on other wall that would be good. In any event, side panels ceiling to floor to complete. You could even do this with shutters under for a thoroughly complete job.

    I will take a pic of my bedroom to show you what I mean. Later
  • 13 years ago
    Ok, here it is. Had to make the bed. Ha. Had my curtain company do hunter Douglas shutters with curved roman and side panels mounted in front. This helps when you want to give the space a feeling of height.
  • 13 years ago
    Sorry, pic taken in day looking at window doesn't work well. Maybe I'll redo tonight.
  • 13 years ago
    Jessica, place new rods close to ceiling...then. Hang round rung shower curtains. You can find some even with liners for privacy and insulation
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    With that strange bump out we would not recommend drapes at all. Drapes would feel too forced. The window calls for a shade or blind. Opt for a custom fabricated roman shade in a small scale geometric pattern repeat (tone on tone) or Hunter Douglas' Pirouette or Silhouette shade.
  • 13 years ago
    Why not put TV in opening on firepl. Looks like its meant for that. You have a lot of brown. On panels go a stripe in shades of blues. Add different shades of blue pillows on chaise. A throw on sofa would help. Pull chaise out of corner put a plant there tall bamboo or palm silk. Buy small coffee table round glass. With black iron. Remove all items from firepl. Buy colorful art posters for walls. World market, Ikea has good price.
  • 13 years ago
    You can use TV stand next to sofa as end table. Put lamp from firepl on it. Move table to TV wall and put mirror over it hang low add art 2 large posters on that wall. Make sure they have a lot of color.
  • 13 years ago
    Put floor lamp closer to sofa. Put white throw over back of sofa.
  • 13 years ago
    Your panels do not have to. Be pattern of pillows, they are fine. I was suggesting the colors would work in a. Stripe.
  • 13 years ago
    Also looks like you have a lot of toys. Ikea has good price on everything you need. They have large canvas baskets, get 3 in black. Keep toys in those. They can be kept on that level. Clutter in a small room is bad.
  • 13 years ago
    No you have 2 different fabrics ,I like the curtains
Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida