Software
Houzz Logo Print
ephillips5

Bathroom re-do: tile and style conundrum!

9 years ago

We have a plumbing problem that is going to require us to pull up our bathroom floor. Normally this would be a bummer but I hate the 35 year old always-dirty floor I inherited in this bathroom and am thrilled for the excuse to re-do it. Here's what it looks like now:

So here are the factors I'm considering: This is a bathroom on the main level of my Brooklyn Brownstone duplex. It isn't a master bath and is used by guests. Outside the bathroom is a hallway with hardwood floors and an oriental rug. On either side is the kitchen and the living room. Even though I kind of like the current colors, I hate that it has a bright white feeling. I want a more muted color scheme to blend with the hallway and other rooms on the floor. Even though it has a shower, think of it more as a powder room.

Also, while I would love to gut the whole thing, our budget doesn't allow that. We are looking to replace the floor and the sink (with a vanity). I can paint the walls, of course, and the cabinet but the rest is staying for now.

My style is sort of transitional - like modern furniture with an oriental rug in a historic house with lots of molding details. And I like color. So I'm not interested in an all grey, spare look.

And so . . . I was browsing through Houzz photos and fell in love with these bathrooms:


The Recycled House - Bedford, WA · More Info

Алиса в стране чудес · More Info

What's the the thing I love? Yep, the big, bold, colored tile! But, oh what a commitment that would be! So, I thought, what if it was patterned but just black and white or grey? Like this:


Kensal Rise house · More Info


Santa Monica Garage conversion · More Info

But my husband thinks it will still feel too busy and I'm not getting any love from my friends :(

So I went tile shopping. Oh my goodness, there are a lot of tile choices out there! I still kept walking over to the patterned mosaics but did find some "plain" choices that I thought were ok - a travertine porcelain and a slate-feel tile in a chevron pattern:

Inexpensive and durable (I have 3 kids and a dog). Fine. Even nice (especially the grey chevron) but part of me feels like I'm selling my soul a little to play it safe. I'm particularly afraid going with the travertine will mean I end up with a boring beige bathroom.

Though, I must say, this picture did sway me:

I want to put in a wood vanity to tie in the wood from the hallway floors and soften it a bit and this combination (plus the great color options) is definitely persuasive.

Here's a vanity I'm considering:


Contemporary Wall-Mount Bath Vanity ,Teak, 31.5" · More Info


I'm SO CONFUSED on what direction to go in! I want to wave a wand and have it all done (or at least designed by a professional!). But instead I'm turning to the wisdom of the Houzz community. What do you think, folks?



Comments (46)

  • 9 years ago

    I LOVE the cement tiles...L-O-V-E them!!

    ephillips5 thanked Sammy
  • 9 years ago

    Yikes is right! Your vanity is very contemporary and would have no connection with the bold pattern floors you say you love. You love a lot of different styles.

    One way to help to start defining your choices is to look at what is going on stylistically in the rest of your home. You hinted that the wood vanity picks up the color of the adjacent hallway floors but is the rest of your home so contemporary? If so, go in that direction because the flow will be consistent and pleasing.

    However if the rest of your home is truly eclectic, then go for what turns you on the most! Going bold with a tile floor is a big commitment. You could get the patterns and colors you love in wall paper vs floor or wall tile - less $ and something you could switch out in 5-10 years if you desire a change.

    In summary, feed your soul stylistically but not in the more permanent/expensive items.


  • 9 years ago

    I like the cement tiles and I don't think a black and white pattern would be too cuckoo. Otherwise I would stick with a classic black and white scheme.

  • 9 years ago

    @lwfromny Thank you! Yes, I absolutely agree that you can mix classic and modern. And you identified a problem I'm having - most sites just display one tile and it is hard to envision it across the floor. I will definitely check out Instagram! One company gave me a single tile to take with me and I made photocopies to lay out and get a sense of things. The copies are darker than the orginal (bottom left) but this gives you a sense of it:

    And I think this confirms that gray is easier to blend in than black and white.

    I may never stop loving this tile I saw at Mosiac House in Manhattan but I might put that in my entryway.

  • 9 years ago
    Yes I recently used encaustic for a backsplash and it drove me crazy that most suppliers have almost no installation photos on their websites, or if they do they only show one color of the pattern. Instagram is a godsend. I do think the gray and white is beautiful and maybe feels a bit less risky for your husband. While I do normally agree with the earlier poster who said that bolder items work best in finishes that are easily changed, I really think encaustic is classic. These tiles have been in use in Europe for centuries, and are also often seen in settings such as restaurants. I think it's just that people aren't used to them in residential settings. I have to say that since putting mine in I have had nothing but positive reactions and people wanting to know more about them and where they came from. I couldn't be happier about having taken the plunge. And anyway, while a powder room floor isn't cheap to replace, it's not horrible either. You'd probably be ready for a new one in ten or 15 years anyway - might as well get what you love.

    I'm hoping that @BethH will find this string soon. She has excellent advice about tile and has a beautiful black and white encaustic bathroom wall in a modern bathroom I think you'd love to see. No one would ever say her wall is dated or "too much."

    The one thing you should know is that because these tiles are handmade and somewhat fragile (until installed), they are imperfect. They will have small specks and uneven edges and the like. So if you're bothered by imperfections, you may not want true cement tile - it might be better to get a porcelain or something.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Cement tiles are great for bringing in a splash of personality. They are fun but they can be quite expensive and installation will be higher than standard tiles. There is maintenance and they can stain.
    There are porcelain and ceramic tiles on the market that mimic cement tiles. Much more affordable and no maintenance other than general cleaning. Installation should be the same as any other field tile on the floor.

  • 9 years ago

    I love the cement tiles. The one that you tried in the bathroom looks really nice. You just need to have someone who knows how to install them. I know @BethH installed cement tiles in her bathroom and she can give you some tips on that.

  • 9 years ago

    Love cement tiles! Go for it and be sure to post "after" pics.

  • 9 years ago

    Two of my favorite projects with the cement tiles


    Guest bathroom · More Info



    Vacation Rental W6 · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    I was going to suggest cement tiles even before I scrolled down and saw you were already looking at them. I love them and I think they are the perfect solution that brings a contemporary element but is also completely period appropriate for an older building (not that you have to be).

    I have seen dozens, if not hundreds of photos that combine cement tile floors and / or backsplashes with contemporary cabinetry. Cement tiles are trendy. But they have also been around for 100 years. I think a well-chosen cement tile floor may have more lasting appeal than, say, a large format grey porcelain tile.

    I also think a patterned cement tile could coordinate very well with an adjacent oriental rug.
    ephillips5 thanked janedoe2012
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks for the support everyone! @CinarInteriors I also think a porcelain or ceramic version would be better for durability. This is a highly trafficked bathroom - 3 young kids, dog, etc. Any suggestions where I can find the look in a more durable tile?

  • 9 years ago
    Hang a very full fabric curtain in front of your shower doors. Pick up more colour with an interesting rug. I have a deep-coloured Turkish rug in my own bathroom.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    2 companies that I work with have their own collections. There are tons more companies out on the market that offer products similar and different designs.

    www.interceramicusa.com
    Pull up this website and type "Cementine" into the search bar. Durabody Ceramic. (Durabody ceramics have all the abilities and finishes of porcelain tile but at a ceramic price point)


    http://www.americantileandstone.com/prodcat.aspx?Id=3&page=19763
    When you open this link find the "Product" tab. Drop it down and look for Palazzo. When you bring up this collection click the tile picture to bring up the other styles within this line and you will see their cement tile mimics. Porcelain tiles.

    These companies (if available in your area) require a store front as myself or contractor to purchase.

    ephillips5 thanked Cinar Interiors, Inc.
  • 9 years ago
    If u own the place pick the tile you love for the floor! Consider how long you'll be living there.
    Go larger in size/pattern cause it's a smaller bathroom.

    If you wanna go safe, I'd choose a mid tone grey in oversized 6x12 or 18" offset and then get a fabulous rug that you love as much as that patterned tile!
    And go modern vanity like u chose.
  • 9 years ago

    Don't be "safe"....

    Life is too short.

  • 9 years ago
    Just by way of comparison, I paid $2500 for material and labor for 55 sf of cement tile, 38 of which was installed as a backsplash. That included a ton of meticulous cutting to go behind a sink, around a window, up against cabinets with moldings, and up to an unlevel ceiling. I would expect hourly rates to be higher for you due to your location (I am in upstate NY), but I would think that the number of hours needed would be lower due to less intricate cutting and fitting.

    I do think it's smart to explore encaustic look-alikes, particularly if you want a dark grout. It's not as authentic looking but still beautiful, and may be more cost effective (although I found cement to be pretty reasonably priced - well under $20/sf) and definitely easier to install. As for maintenance, well I don't know. If you read about it on Houzz you'll find people who have used it as flooring and are miserable, and others who swear by it. Often the ones who are unhappy don't seem to have much knowledge of the installation steps and process, so I question whether the correct steps were followed, and that makes a huge difference. Definitely educate yourself about it if you decide to consider it, and stand firm with your installer about meticulously following the manufacturers material and installation directions.
  • 9 years ago

    Don't be "safe"....

    Life is too short.

  • 9 years ago

    I'm really digging this pattern - and I can picture grey walls and blue towels or that same blue on the furniture cabinet.
    http://interceramicusa.com/gallery/view/2585

    Similar to this:

    DeBastiani Project as seen in New England Home · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    Love that! Measure the scale carefully compared to your floor so you can get a sense of how many full patterns you'll get.
  • 9 years ago
    Ah disregard my last comment about scale - I thought you were referring to the pattern on the wall in the photo w the blue vanity. That's why I thought scale needed to be considered. I do ALSO love the tile you were actually referring to!
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    ephillips5- I love all of your inspiration photos. Do not do travertine! talk about chipping and staining!

    There are tons of cement tiles w/varying patterns and colors. did you see lwfromny's kitchen backsplash? just gorgeous.

    The blk/white encaustic tiles I got happened to be on closeout because they only had 66 of them left. I got them for half price, which was a great deal. If you go to their site CementTileShop and look at the clearance section (check daily for new ones added. they go fast), you might find something for a good price.

    http://www.cementtileshop.com/cement-tile/cement-tile-sale.html

    you won't need that many. They also have some terrazzo type tiles that might satisfy your husband.

    So, that being said, black and white will never go out of style. If you want to go bold but you're afraid you will tire after a few years, do a cool wallpaper. 3-5 years from now if you grow tired of it, remove it. not a big deal. so you spent a few hundred. no big (put it up yourself and save more money).

    this koi wallpaper is my favorite. it comes in 6 different color combos. by Osborne and Little. (the black one and gold one is gorgeous)

    blue, white, gold and wood. again, timeless. this is fun and colorful. doesn't have to look like a circus if you do everything around it correctly. this also comes in other colors.

    one option you can do is the colorful tile behind your vanity. you will only need about 25-30 tiles. not a big expense. again, if you tire of it 5 years from now, it's easy enough to change, but how can you tire of this??

    I love your floating wood vanity. they did a vessel sink here so they could lower the vanity and get the full tile experience.

    black/white/gold, marble and wood. perfection and timeless

    What about the basketweave tile for the floor? they have many color combos now. I have one in black (click on my name and look at my bathroom redo. its in the water closet). black/white floor with wood vanity is stunning together.

    this one is Esplanade from tilebar

    I just found this white thassos and blue marble tile. (when it's sealed, the blue dots will deepen and darken). with the wood vanity, this would look so good. and it's classic.

    honestly, I could show you examples fore hours. it took me about 6 months to finally coordinate and pin down all of my tiles for the bathroom. Their are so many beautiful tiles to choose from, I wanted to do like, 10 of them in the same room!

    ephillips5 thanked Beth H. :
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Update!: I finally made a decision! In the spirit of my original inspiration pic, I with with this Tazza pattern from Moroccan Mosaic and Tile House (http://mosaicmorocco.com/product/tazactp03-01/:

    Can't wait till it comes! But now I'm really stuck on picking out a vanity to match. I could go with black but I think it will be too dark. I'd rather a warm wood tone but am finding it nearly impossible to find - everything is really dark or super light. I don't have a lot of room so I'm looking for a vanity no wider than 32". I'm open to both floating and traditional. I'm wondering if I should try go custom. I have no experience with that but it might be the only way to get what I want. As a point of reference, look at the sample tile on the hardwood floor outside the bathroom. I think the wood picks up the warm caramel tones in the tile nicely.

    Suggestions??

  • 9 years ago

    It looks great. I was hoping that you would consider the color of the adjoining hall floor and carpet and it looks as if you nailed it!

    ephillips5 thanked yvonnecmartin
  • 9 years ago

    You could do a vanity that has similar color with your floor and the brown in your tile.. It doesn't have to be something complicated..even a floating shelf with another shelf underneath for extra storage would work

  • 9 years ago

    Exactly. But I can't find anything just right online. Anyone know someone who could custom build a simple vanity in the NYC area?

  • 9 years ago

    I just googled a cabinetry shop in Manhattan and got quoted $2000-3500! Yikes! I'm going to keep looking for something pre-made. I like this one but I think it is too dark:


    Modern Vamity Concetto 6100 Vanity Padauk, 40" · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    For something with storage, that would be cost. Maybe you find something ready made in a decent color

  • 9 years ago

    How about using an older vanity? You can have it cut and retrofitted for a sink..I saw this photo and I thought that something similar could be used


    Residential Project in Oldtown · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    @printesa I love that idea. Has definitely got me thinking in a different direction.

    Actually, when you scroll up and look at the pics @Beth H. posted - two of them have the same vanity (in different stains) but are a current take on the classic, thin-legged table you posted.

    Beth H. I know those pics are from Houzz but I'd love to find them and ask about those vanities. Can you point me in the right direction?

  • 9 years ago

    Ahh, after much hunting, I found it. It is restoration hardware. Too big for what I want and very expensive . . . but maybe I can see if a carpenter can build something like it for a reasonable price. There isn't a lot to it.

    https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1619134&categoryId=cat10250050


  • 9 years ago

    ephillips,, if there is no info associated w/the pic, I'm afraid I do not have any further.

    The RH vanities come in different sizes. To save money on the one I got from them, I became a yearly member and ordered it without the top. I also got the weathered oak in the black. Instead of getting it w/their countertop, I found my own countertop from a remnant piece.

    So, just for the 55" base alone, it's about $876 (if you become a member for 100 bucks. and if you plan on buying more items from them, it's worth it for the year). To buy this wood and have a carpenter build this for you, it would cost the same, if not more.


    You can also look around and find knock-offs of the same style.


  • 9 years ago

    You are going to be sooooo tired of those bold-patterned (and short-lived trendy) cement tiles in a few years and it will cost a fortune to get rid of them. Use moderation for the stuff that's difficult or expensive to replace. Get your bold patterns with wallpaper.

  • 9 years ago

    those bold patterns will not date..They've been around for hundreds of years. Take a look at this and you will see many of them that are similar to what we make now https://www.villalagoontile.com/antique-cement-tiles.html

  • 9 years ago
    ^ this. Wish I could like it a hundred times. These tiles only date if you are a person who chases trends. @ephillips doesn't strike me that way. If you appreciate classic beautiful materials that have been used around the world for hundreds of years, you will be happy with this tile for a long long time.
  • 9 years ago

    Hi All! I know some of you wanted updates. We got off to a slow start and this is the current state of the bathroom! Never planned to rip out the tub and wall tile but "if you give a mouse a cookie . . ." I'm snow balling over-budget but I think I will love the end result.

    Currently have to decide about wall/shower tile. One complication with colorful cement tiles is that they really need to be the star of the show and everything else should be simple. Always figured I'd just stick to large format white subways. Turns out that my cement tiles are more cream in base and I'm not sure about the basic white. Found some basic subways in "antique white" at the local big box, for twice the price, of course. Here's a picture of the basic white and the antique white next to my tile:

    My toilet will still be white though. . .

    My contractor says I'm overthinking this, he needs a decision, and just go for the cheaper basic white.

    Last minutes thoughts, anyone?




  • 9 years ago
    Definitely antique white.
  • 9 years ago
    What did you choose for a vanity?
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks for the feedback! For the vanity, I ended up getting the Restoration Hardware vanity (weathered oak) that was pictured in 2 of @Beth H.'s photos. A splurge but I really like it!


  • 9 years ago

    TADA! It is finally done! Here are the AFTER pictures! Despite a crazy contractor I wanted to strangle, I'm thrilled with the final results. Thanks to all of you in the Houzz community for the cheerleading along the way! - Emily

  • 9 years ago

    Here is the product list:

    Big shout out to Moroccan Mosaic and Tile House! We used their Taza tile. Customer service was excellent!

    Shower wall tile is: Highland Park 4x12 Antique White Glazed (Home Depot)

    Baseboard tile is: Merola Tile: Battiscopa Matte Black 3 1/4 x 12-3/8 in. ceramic wall trim tile (Home Depot)

    Faucet/towel bar/shower fixtures/toilet paper holder: Delta Silverton in Venetian Bronze (Home Depot)

    Vanity and Mirror: Restoration Hardware Weathered Oak Single Console Vanity and Mirror

    Lights: Progress Lighting (Home Depot): Invite Collection 4-light antique bronze; Invite collection 3-light semi-flush mount light

    Shower door: DreamLine Frameless hinged shower door in oil rubbed bronze (Home Depot)

    So, in short, I splurged on the tile and vanity and stayed low-cost for fixtures.

  • 9 years ago

    The end result is fabulous Emily! I'm glad you are thrilled with it, I would be too!

    ephillips5 thanked Depo
  • 9 years ago

    It looks amazing! The bathroom seems huge now

    ephillips5 thanked printesa
  • 9 years ago

    @printesa Thank you! Ripping out the bathtub (which was a spur of the moment decision requiring a serious amount of hustle for last minute tile) was the best thing we did. The bathroom feels twice as big and open. We love having a barrier-free shower. We still have a bathtub in another bathroom so we didn't think it was problem to take it out. So glad we did!

  • 9 years ago

    You did an amazing job! The colors work very well together.

    ephillips5 thanked printesa
  • 9 years ago
    Stunning! So glad you chose the antique white tile with your floor tile. The combo looks perfect. Nice paint choice too. Everything blends seamlessly.
    Love the vanity too!
Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio