Software
Houzz Logo Print
tbchic

Flooring Decision tile or wood

9 years ago

We are remodeling our kitchen, nook and family living area (about 350 sqft) previously had ugly 90's tile, gutting kitchen. We have a 4 ft opening to this room from our entry, dining and formal living area which has 3" wood installed; wood is not my favorite, a little more red tones than I like.

Wood: The most costly is to remove all the wood and tile and buy the 7" wood that I love; however cost is about 6K more. About 1100 SQ ft.

Tile: I could do tile in the 350 sq ft kitchen, nook, family living area and keep existing wood in other areas of house. This would save money, but I am having a hard time liking the grey floor tile look. We have a marble look quartz counter; so greys and white. Cabinets are white shaker. So the matching tile floor would be gray. I am not in love with this white/grey look. Seems so sterile to me. I found a wood look tile, but have been told not to put real and tile wood next to each other.

Should I just give up the all new wood throughout and save money and get grey tile? What should I do or what would you do?


Comments (11)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Is your existing wood floor able to be refinished? If you could keep it and continue it throughout the house I feel that the areas will become more unified and feel way more up to date. I'd be willing to give up the 7" boards if I could continue the existing 3" wood floor throughout.

  • 9 years ago

    Just looking at the existing engineered wood it is about 2mm so I'm not sure how much it could be re-finished. I would be ok keeping the color I guess if I could find a match, but I don't know if that is even possible.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    if it's engineered, I don't think you will be able to refinish it. If you install a wood floor and finish it in place you can tweak the stain and gloss to be really close to your existing floor. Not sure about cost difference.

  • 9 years ago

    thanks! We are on a slab so engineered is our only option. However, I think we might just extend this wood into that area and call it done if we can find an exact match. I took a shot in the dark just now and found a sample strip the prior owners left in a closet that matches exactly and it had the sku sticker on the back. We are going to order samples and see if they match. I think that is our best bet to get the look I want without spending 9K and tearing our entire house apart :)

  • 9 years ago

    Continuing your wood will give you the nicest look. If the new wood doesn't match exactly, you can put a perpendicular piece in the threshold as a slight separation.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You can glue down a 1/2" solid wood to slab, engineered is not your only option.
    I feel wood would be your best investment. It's warm and inviting, much softer than tile with less echo.
    If the wood that is down now is as old as the tile and is engineered it could be a product from Bruce Hardwood, color Gunstock. It was a very popular product some 20+ yrs back. No you would not be able to refinish this thin veneer product.

  • 9 years ago

    If you are going with wood, i would recommend continuing the hardwood you have in the rest of the house, two different types of wood looks bad, in my opinion. I would find a grey/white floating floor to match your kitchen- its durable and easy.

  • 9 years ago

    I installed a Mohawk laminate floor and wish I could jump into a time machine and undo that decision, If you like the look of wood and the durability of tile, consider faux wood tile. unlike when I was shopping for flooring, there are now some very good looking wood facsimile products out there.

    The bummer with the laminate is if you drop anything or wear shoes in the house or want to vacuum your floors, you will do irreparable damage.

  • 9 years ago

    Cinar Interiors, Inc. - You called it! That is exactly what it is. I know it is not the best product, but surprisingly it has held up and I lived with it enough to feel comfortable with it in the kitchen area since we have been here for 3 years. I don't hate it, but don't love and this is not our forever home, but I do understand what you are saying. If money was no object I would have the 8K floors completely re-done.

    If we can find a match we are going to go with it.

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks! When I typed in the trim piece sku it brought up their Springdale collection so I am hoping that is it and that it matches. Fingers crossed