Software
Houzz Logo Print
aclarkwag

Paint colors for generic office

9 years ago

I'd love paint color ideas for our generic office space which will be a psychotherapy office, so we'd like soothing colors. I also need colors that go with my chocolate brown couch..

We get to choose paint and carpet before we move in. Photo shows current colors.

Comments (20)

  • 9 years ago

    i love 2 colors, one is rather dark and rainy, but i find that deeply soothing. i believe it will go great with brown. the other has a great internal glow, giving you a lovely sunshine no matter the weather.

    Half Sea Fog N470-3 · More Info


    Rite Of Spring P300-3 · More Info
    hope it helps

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Believe it or not there is some research that has been done that shows blues create "aggressive" behavior and peach evokes calmer behavior. The study was done in a prison setting as I recall, so I would consider some peachy tones with only touches of blues. Maybe some soft sage greens might work.

    paint · More Info

    Sea Salt · More Info
    I would take that peach above and cut it 50% with white to lighten it up. Both would go well with dark brown sofa. Good luck!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    A wall fountain might be a nice addition in the waiting room area as well. Soothing and visually interesting. This is small one, but they come in all sizes and price points.

    Modern Column Style Table/Wall Fountain in Natural Slate · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Here's a great article about color and healthcare - psychology-of-colour-for-health

    I would stay away from clear reds, bright oranges and bright yellows, as they tend to make people restless, stimulate appetite, and want to leave spaces quickly (which is why most fast food restaurants use that color scheme)

  • 9 years ago
    Love a soothing green with brown. Plants, candles, water fountain. All would be very restful. Tie it in with some art and you're good to go.
  • 9 years ago

    of course after those things any color is going to be soothing patricia!

    except fountains make me want to tinkle! lol

  • 9 years ago
    @havingfun you're right! Lol
  • 9 years ago

    I thought that in the 40s or something they thought it was a sage green that is why every institution used it.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    @havingfun. There has been quite a lot of research done on how colors affect emotions and behavior. The latest that I have seen actually says bubblegum pink is the most quieting and calming color. I can't speak to the quality of the research but sage green is not the color of choice at all!
  • 9 years ago

    I think I'm worried less about the psychological impact of the color and more about it looking nice! I don't think I could live with bubblegum pink. : )

  • 9 years ago

    perhaps not now, but in 40s-60s, schools, hospitals, and other types of institutions were painted a split pea green which often ran over into sage or oriental green. whenever you went to use them that is what you would be reminded of. and bubblegum is definitely my idea of soothing. Sorry ann, my colors were based on beauty, or my view of it.

  • 9 years ago

    In the right space, I bet bubblegum pink is beautiful.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Ann, I once did a chiropractor's office and she selected various colors for different rooms and one we did in a light peach. All the men patients HATED it and she had to redo that room! Even the table was upholstered in that color. It looked great, but the patient's reaction was strong. We did a Aubergene in the reception area (big hit); we did one room in Eggplant, (big hit); we did a room in a deep teal (big hit) and we did the last one in the peach. Peach became a soft green, not many liked it either! So, that is my independent research! I'm sure your space will be lovely and you and your clients will enjoy being there. Good luck!

  • 9 years ago

    havingfun, in the 40's they also did shock therapy and lobotomies in those institutions! maybe it was the sage green?!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Beth H I am falling on the floor with laughter on that comment. You are hilarious!!! I think you are right too! My sisters and I laugh today, because when we were kids, my Father used to say "someday there won't be enough sane to take care of the insane". And with everything going on in the world today, we keep repeating "Dad was right!" Too funny.

  • 9 years ago

    lol. yes, dads usually are. I keep thinking back in my early years and just cannot believe 'millennials'. I know we weren't as bad as they are!

  • 9 years ago

    i did mean i hated pepto-darn oxygen. are you trying to say that some or maybe all the drs or patients were having sage therapy? lol

    Flo i believe you about the colors. remember i put a dilemma up with a green room once and most of us hated it. remember the one with the green snake rug? and that was emerald. i think this color thing is a bit more flexible than they might think.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Sorry, some of them posted twice !!!
    Here's a link to more: https://www.etsy.com/shop/HollyAndersonFineArt?ref=pr_shop_more

  • 9 years ago

    Beautiful!