Software
Houzz Logo Print
elainereinberg2

2 or 1 shades for this type of wall?

13 years ago
We are planning on painting this wall BM Manchester Tan. Is it best to paint the entire wall this color or two different shades above and below the molding? If better to two two shades, what is your suggestion to complement manchester tan and should manchester tan be above or below the molding? I'd love if anyone could share photos of manchester tan combos. Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (25)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    2 colors withe darker color below
  • 13 years ago
    Are you painting only one wall in this room? I am not an expert but I think it could depend on the height of your ceiling and the size of the kitchen?

    If you would like suggestions for 2 shades, I think the one below could go nicely with manchester tan. Houzzers, what do you think?
    (wheeling neutral - bottom and manchester tan- top)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    two diferent colors is nice like already mentioned darker on bottom
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Hi Elaine, Suzanne -- trying to match-by-eye (from BM to SW) --
    Sherwin-Williams SW 0011 Crewel Tan ( upper ).
    Sherwin-Williams SW 7540 Artisan Tan ( lower ) --
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you Ed. I did not think of trying with photoshop. Below is the one with BM manchester tan and wheeling neutral with BM color composition. You were very close.

    Also, Elaine, I went to BM combos color and here are some suggestion by BM. I phtoshoped 2 of them (dried basil 1510 and jackson tan hc-46):
  • 13 years ago
    Oops, I made a mistake with wheeling neutral. See below. Also I think, with your floor, I prefer jackson tan hc-46:
  • 13 years ago
    Ops again, actually as you can see the two I posted with wheeling neutral are the same. I found the colour composition using 2 ways and it is the same result so my first picture was not a mistake after all. Ed, I totally agree with the choices you made by going with only eye matching, I would have picked the same color. It is surprising how the sample looks a lot darker than the actual color.
    Elaine, these images can give you an idea but it is color match through the computer screen so do not rely on them. You should just go to a BM store and pick the the 'card' and look at it at home. Sorry, I called it a card because I don't know what it is called but I mean to get the card that shows the 3 or 4 shades of the same color.
  • 13 years ago
    Elaine, are you opened to another color than manchester tan? I fell like it is hard to find a color that goes well with your floor. I have another combination. I am not sure of it, maybe houzzers can give their opinion or it will inspire them to other colors. Below it is one if found. That combo is siggested by BM also. It is stone harbor 2111-50 bottom and morning dew 1493 top:
  • 13 years ago
    One more combo: manchester tan with a color found in your floor:
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would paint the whole wall in Manchester Tan (full strength) and paint the chair rail half strength Manchester Tan. I think having two different colours is quite old fashioned.
  • 13 years ago
    I think two colors are best with the Manchester tan above and a shade or two darker on bottom
  • 13 years ago
    use the same color card as this and go lighter on top. It will give you cohesive color with a nice tone on tone but also open up the over al felt of the room
  • 13 years ago
    The chair rail height looks odd it needs to be moved up to counter height or window height and paint white below..... or remove and paint the entire wall one color good luck
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    a more modern approach would be to remove the chair rail....but if you want to keep the chair rail use tone-on-tone approach with darker below the chair rail (to ground the room) and lighter above it (to expand the space). I wouldn't recommend two distinctively different colors, unless you are trying to create a wainscot. In that case, paint the "wainscot" white, to match the wood trim.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Chair rail out of scale and too low, if you are going to keep it don't call attention to it.
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with soko... the scale is already off, so don't call attention to it. Could you raise the trim to standard height? It should be at least as high as your work surfaces and can go higher - like to the window sill.
  • 13 years ago
    I agree with soko, deco and marfenster.......chair rail is way too low and looks really odd! Get rid of it and paint entire wall same color or move it up and add some picture frame molding and paint white to create a wainscoting effect.
  • 13 years ago
    Wainscoting painted white
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    If you don't want to go very white than go for off white ,me! I like white

    Oops sorry !
    I also noticed the the chair rail is sort of low ,would it be possible to move it up to 32" or better yet get a chair and see where it touches the top of the chair..
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The chair rail in this space is fine at its current height. Proportion determines the offset and size of moldings, and classic arechitectural proportions are based on HUMAN SCALE and proportions of the 5 orders of architecture....which is why when you walk into a room with 8' ceilings and a 36" wainscot it feels a little "squat." Historically, chair rail was not determined by the ht of a chair but by the pedestal cap, though the Shakers influenced that later to keep hanging chairs from hitting the wall. In classical architectural styles, you can find wainscoting that is quite diminutive...24" (see image). Working with classical proportions in most of today's homes is tough. 36" chair rail works fine on a 16-20" wall but proportionally, 26-28" works better on most 8' walls....then there's the architectural styles like craftsman....but that's another story. When all else fails, using the rule of "thirds" for combined top and bottom millwork works out pretty well in today's construction but a 36" chair rail on an 8' wall nearly cuts it in half when you add a crown....and that's just plain awkward.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you all for your fabulous help! Keating design studio: I especially appreciate your knowledgeable response! Do you think I should keep the chair rail how it is and paint the wall one color (manchester tan), keeping the chair rail white? Thanks!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    @elainebeck2 I'm glad I could be of assistance. If you don't want a wainscot and you don't want to remove the chair rail, paint out the entire wall one color, INCLUDING chair rail. Leaving it white unnecessarily cuts the wall into segments and is a little dated. Painting it out with the wall color will update the space.
  • 13 years ago
    I agree totally with Keating Design Studio above. I personally like chair rails and wainscotting but I paint them the trim colour only ( BM cloud white)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would paint the wall and chair rail one solid color. Chair Rails are dated. By painting it one solid color the chair rail will blend in with wall.