Software
Houzz Logo Print
dan1888

Dish Disinfector instead of a dishwasher in China

9 years ago

Heat and ultraviolent light sanitize dishes. The description begins at 3:50. . . .

Comments (6)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Interesting, but I have to say that since it takes up as much space as a DW…

    I was more interested in that induction hot plate they were using for the wok, though. I bet it gets hotter than anything you can buy here.

  • 9 years ago

    Oh, I've seen so many Chinese students in the dorm I once stayed in, who were pouring laundry sanitizer into the washers... I'm not surprised by this dish dryer/sanitizer.

    In fact, if you look for Asian countertop dishwashers, many claim to use steam or really hot water to sanitize the dishes (okay, small plates, rice bowls and chopsticks) in them. LG even used to sell a 24" dishwasher with an UV light here in Europe. I don't think it's available any more, but current LG models here still have a 176°F sani rinse.

  • 9 years ago

    Well a sani- cycle isn't new, but in the US is usually used when there's real communicable sickness in the house, or a compromised individual. Compare to the friends' daughter who is busy letting her babies play with germs (dog slobber, floored pacifiers, etc.) so they'll grow up nice and strong. And the old research (which I learned about from an epidemiological nurse) that showed that vigorous washing under flowing (potentially dirty, ground temperature) water for 10 seconds got rid of 95% of bacteria, which leads me to surmise that a normal dishwasher does a good job getting the dishes clean enough to eat off of. :)

    Is China really that much dirtier? Or is it a fad?

  • 9 years ago

    Well, according to the couple who made the video, nobody, but nobody in China has dishwashers (or clothes dryers) and most people only have cold water in the kitchen sink, so I guess it might make sense, depending on how expensive water is. I noticed they were washing dishes in cold water in a bowl that looked to hold about a quart, so that would actually use less water than a DW, perhaps.

    But they did comment on how dirty everything gets in--Shanghai, I think. That they have to wash the floors every single day.

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks. Every time I start to watch the video something else happens, and I missed some stuff, I think, like that they were washing in cold water. That makes more sense now.