Software
Houzz Logo Print
seasalt2017

Matte Bevelled Subway Tile

I chose matte (versus shiny) subway tiles for a corner shower, as the sample coordinated better with the matte white of my hexagonal tiles for the floor. I have just seen the finished shower & disappointed at how off-white the tiles look ... I have a keen eye for colour, being an artist, so able to see colours in white more than most, including my husband who is trying to reassure me it looks fine ... I am yet to be convinced & would welcome feedback.

Comments (17)

  • 9 years ago

    Can you provide a photo of the bathroom and area you are speaking of?

    Rachel Barrett Trangmar thanked Porter Edun
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Sorry but beveled subway tile has a way of distorting color , so even if they were the same color the way the light hits the bevel has an effect.

    Rachel Barrett Trangmar thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 9 years ago

    It has indeed distorted the colour, & I have looked at the wall again in the morning light, & I am still not happy with the fact that the tiles look ivory. I have taken a photo, but it actually looks worse in reality.


  • 9 years ago
    Is the hex grout a bright white? That could affect how the tiles are perceived.
  • 9 years ago

    They are clearly different whites. I find the combination feels clean and spa-like (I mean, people do combine white and cream intentionally, especially in kitchens), but it's not the same as a match -- I think you'd have to have a miracle to luck into an exact match in two different white tiles from different companies, in different shapes, on surfaces with different orientation...

    I'd give it some time -- the biggest problem in home renovation is Whatever Got Done Last Night, which is new and jarring and fills your head. You might find that this color combination grows on you, or that you cease to notice it once the room has gone from project to instantiated working room, or your accent colors and other stuff may draw the eye, or you may have something else installed today that becomes tomorrow's crisis! :) I'm not making fun of this response, just noting it from my own experience -- I had to stop myself from sending my contractor a grumpy text *every day* when I came home to see the day's developments, and yet I'm super happy with the final outcome.

    In the end, it's your bath, and only you can judge what will torment you every day. But you might find that this isn't, in fact, one of those things, and/or that ripping out and rebuilding all of the shower walls from waterproofing to new tile ($5k overall?) and resetting any glass, with your tile guy's disheartened second job thrown in, isn't worth it. Or, from the same point of view, tearing it all out and doing it again will cost just the same amount in 6 months as it would cost tomorrow, so maybe it's worth waiting and hoping you stop being bothered.

    Rachel Barrett Trangmar thanked acm
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you all for your pertinent points especially acm. We will indeed take time to reflect, as changing the tiles is indeed a drastic/important/$ decision to make. Plus, I am wondering whether the brilliant white would yet again be a different shade of white, particularly as the floor tiles are matte white ... It is SO reassuring to have this feedback.


  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The drain is scarier than the difference in color.. a slight difference, but as stated above its the bevel to blame :/

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I know it's a bit late, but before install, didn't you put the two tiles next to each to see if the whites were similar? Before the tile was grouted, or during the tiling process, did you not notice the difference? There are so many different shades of white. Other than trying some different lighting or changing the grout to a high contrast color, there isn't much else you can do. If you do want to change, the flooring would be the easiest. All of that white tile and bright white grout, I sure hoped you used a stain proof grout.

    Rachel Barrett Trangmar thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    It's ok to have layers of white just as you do varied textures. But I can understand that a keen eye for color can sometimes be torn when they aren't perfectly matched. The white grout is what throws me. Had you gone darker in the grout to contrast against the white tiles that would have been one way to help blend the contrast of colors you are seeing. As Beth H pointed out about bright white grout staining, I never go this light on a shower floor for that reason. White doesn't stay white.

    Rachel Barrett Trangmar thanked Sarah Bernardy Design, LLC
  • 9 years ago

    I don't know whether I am feeling better or worse ... Yes, of course I looked at the tiles before they were put on the walls - I studied different ones for months! I also didn't expect unrelated comments about the drain! I was asked whether I wanted grey or white grouting, & obviously chose the latter, not knowing how bright it would be, but I was told that it wouldn't stain ... I appreciate all those encouraging comments, & will now have to spend time reflecting on the next move.

  • 9 years ago
    Maybe add some wood accents like a shower seat. Also maybe add some towels that add another tone or color. I do see creamy white with a blue white.
    Rachel Barrett Trangmar thanked leemiller
  • 9 years ago

    Well, know this is a big disappointment if you are as OCD as myself. If you have a grout that can be stained, (not sure what they used) if you decided to tear it out and before you do it would not hurt to try this product. I know somebody that had a professional tile and grout their kitchen and eat in kitchen and although it was a gray grout, it was almost white in color when it dried. Perhaps the tilers mixture was off... too much water or? They used this product below in, "Dove" and it worked very well. Perhaps a try with Platinum or Dove if you decide you don't want to live with it. Maybe doing the grout will change your mind and it's easy and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

    Sorry this happened as I FEEL for you... I just had a lovely bathroom remodel... I was away and my husband made the choice to put black leather granite to cap the top of the cement tone 12x24 wall tiles in the walk in shower... my pony wall caps are black leather granite with glass tops as in my bath marble didn't work... merrily traveling to California and happy to be by the ocean at home where I grew up...

    NO, came home to this lovely cement colored giant walk in shower with a 2" reveal (what I can see) in BLACK surrounding the whole top of the shower all the way around... I want to paint it SOOOOO badly, but he is adamant I leave it alone... I'm sick over it... sticks out like a sore thumb, doesn't belong, like an ugly red headed step child. I completely understand albeit in a different vein your frustration.... I'm still going to sneak in a prime and paint job... how, still researching! Good luck!

    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-Building-Products-Polyblend-95-Sable-Brown-8-fl-oz-Grout-Renew-Colorant-GCL95HPT/205299519?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D23-Tile%7c&gclid=CjwKEAjwgZrJBRDS38GH1Kv_vGYSJAD8j4DfGx78MAQZ_NKE2iCLmTskLo_wvjjHoPM2SQf5ok96mBoCVEPw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

    Rachel Barrett Trangmar thanked Porter Edun
  • 9 years ago

    So, I have just spent time with the Tile Store Manager, looking at the samples I originally chose. They do indeed coordinate as well as I recall, so it is a question of light reflection en masse, plus the white grouting of the hexagonal tiles, which I really did not foresee & now regretting ... The choice is: to re-tile the floor, using grey grout (as he says a grout tint would stain the tiles); or to re-tile the wall with the shiny white tile (which is yet another white!), or simply to live with it, knowing that the grout will age (although he reassures me it's stainproof), plus I have yet to add a glass shower screen, the watering can shower, the bathroom fittings (another white, including a grey/white marble top for the vanity!) ... Even so, I will still study it over the w/e before making a final decision ...

  • 9 years ago

    If you have marble, yes it would stain... if you have porcelain no it should absolutely not. Marble is very porous and woof... love it, but would not use it. Perhaps read about the product on the link provided there are no real horror stories... worse comes to worse and you plan to remove it... it would perhaps save a lot of money and time lost using this room if you do the floor and it's lovely.

    Know how frustrating this is, trust me......

    Rachel Barrett Trangmar thanked Porter Edun
  • 9 years ago

    TY Porter Edun, but have you seen my hexagonal tiles? It would take FOREVER!

  • 9 years ago

    Yes, I have seen them....

    This is suppose to be a wipe on vs. painting grout from what I know from a person that used it and the reviews on the product... I respect that you may just want to start over or live with the decision for now.

    Good luck!