Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisflan

One Block Wonder top is finally finished

6 years ago

I bought the fabric for this top about three years ago, and I've been working off and on to finish it for about two years. I found the perfect border and backing fabric for it just last month when Blue Bamboo was going out of business. The outer border is a two-tone coppery brown fabric and the inner border has some metallic threads (or dyes) in it too. I bordered it to look like a piece of art, not like a quilt particularly. I'm quite happy with the results except for two things. The center doesn't lay as flat as I would like (I hope the quilting takes care of that), and it's probably too big to fit on the wall where I planned to put it. We'll have to see after it's quilted, and who knows how long that will take.

Comments (31)

• 6 years ago

OMG,!!! That is all I can say. I am speechless.

Theresa

• 6 years ago

That looks awesome!!!

• 6 years ago

Wowzers!

• 6 years ago

Very nice, Lois! Congratulations on getting the top finished.

Donna

• 6 years ago

Wow, gorgeous!

• 6 years ago

that's always been one of my favorite techniques. It's like a work of art. Do you happen to have a picture of the fabric before you cut it up? I'd be curious to see what produced that combination of colors.

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks for you kind comments, everyone. Linda, I should have posted a photo of the original fabric. Here is one repeat. I bought an extra to use on the backing, but now I'm not so sure I want to. Thanks for reminding me to post it.

• 6 years ago

That is stunning!

• 6 years ago

August 28. 2015. You did post a picture of the fabric. I was curious when I saw the completed top and searched the forum. Search One Block Wonder

But it is nice to see it again.

Theresa

• 6 years ago

That's amazing! TBH, I'm not all that enamoured of the original fabric, but your blocks are truly lovely.

• 6 years ago

It's fantastic! Another one added to my todo list.

• 6 years ago

That is a piece of art. Just amazing and beautiful.

• 6 years ago

Gorgeous! Love how One Block Wonders differ so from their original fabrics.

• 6 years ago

Another Lois masterpiece! Beautiful, just beautiful....

• 6 years ago

Stunningly beautiful!

• 6 years ago

How did I miss this?! It's gorgeous!!!!

• 6 years ago

Wow!

• 6 years ago

Woohoo! It looks great, Lois. Congrats on finishing it!

Donna

• 6 years ago

Oh WOW is all I can think to say!!! Applause applause

Valarie

• 6 years ago

Finished and you love it........that's what matters. :-) And, it's beautiful.

• 6 years ago

That's amazing!

• 6 years ago

It's lovely.

• 6 years ago

Just beautiful!

• 6 years ago

That is abosolute wonderful! I love it, too!

• 6 years ago

Your quilt is amazing! It inspires me to make one also. I won the book years ago in a shop hop and didn't think I wanted to make it. Now I do!

• 6 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments. A One Block Wonder like this was quite an undertaking for me. Layering up six layers of fabric exactly on top of each other was daunting, but after that, making the hexagon halves was pretty straightforward. I didn't know how to start to "design" the quilt, but her book instructs you to separate the hexagons by color, thus creating a palette for your "art work." Then you start with one "color" and build out from there. I made a lot of changes before I settled on a final design.

I'm really disappointed that I don't have a wall big enough to hang the quilt. I suppose I could have made it smaller, but after all the work it took to make all those hexagons, I couldn't bear not using them. As it was, I had seven left over.

And I'm happy to report that after quilting and laundering, the quilt lays as flat as a pancake. I won't be gifting this one. It's mine! Maybe someday I'll have a place to hang it. Until then, I'll just cuddle in it.

• 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I found a place to display my quilt. A quilting friend suggested that I hang it over the railing that leads from our front entry down to the door that goes to the lake. I get to see it all the time. I just have to make sure that the sun doesn't hit it too directly or too often. And I get to use it to cuddle whenever I want. I'm happy!

• 6 years ago

Perfect place!

Theresa

• 6 years ago

On display and handy, too. Good!

• 6 years ago

Nice! If that were my house, a cat would be attempting to hang on it very quickly.

Donna