Software
Houzz Logo Print
nicola_cawley

New house, choices to be made on kitchen!

13 years ago
Below is a picture of the show home of the house I am having built. I want the flooring you see on pic, glossy grey tile. But which kitchen with this flooring? The second pic is the second kitchen but in a different setting. I really love the black gloss but scared it will be too dark! Please help, once the roof goes on the choice is gone!
Stick with light cabinet
Or go for a more daring black gloss cabinet?

Comments (17)

  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Hi Nicola, Light cabinets. :)
  • 13 years ago
    What about the dark kitchen & grey tiles BUT make your island a different color so it's not too dark?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Be aware of the fact that black glossy panels show all fingerprints, dust etc.etc. My advice: light panels (magnolia, offwhite, champagne or vanille) and dark(er) countertop. For example 'taupe" or "ash".
    Do not make the spaces between the tiles (grout???) white, but take a grey(ish) color....
  • 13 years ago
    I think the kitchen will be too dark with black cabinets and grey flooring...
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I vote for the lighter cabinetry against the dark flooring.
  • 13 years ago
    Oooh. I like the dark, I like the drama. I don't mind cleaning for the look. I think putting cobalt blue pendant lighting above the island would add some glow for accent lighting.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    try this...
  • 13 years ago
    How about the black gloss with a lighter grey? Or should I go for the cream gloss with dark grey? Does the cream gloss show finger prints the same? Thanks x
  • 13 years ago
    I think the kitchen with the light cabinets and gray floors is really gorgeous. It's rich, and distinctive, with sort of a Frank Lloyd Wright timeless modern look. The kitchen with the black gloss cabinets is actually scary! I'm still suffering PTSD from the 80's! Just paint the walls peach and add a some teal accents, and you're right back there! I don't think we will EVER be far enough away to revive that decade.......................PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Since kitchens are the most expensive room in the house to remodel, I would go with the most classic design. You also have to think about the decor in the rest of the house if you have a very stylized, dramatic kitchen like the third choice. Unless you like cleaning, anything glossy will be very labor intensive to keep up.
  • 13 years ago
    Oh god! Smdrovetto you have put me off the black gloss! 80's, I see it now and cannot unsee it! Back to the drawing board!!!! Thinking just go with the wood :-)
  • 13 years ago
    My high gloss black kitchen with grey slate floor....a work in progress and hope it doesn't look '80,s!....trying hard to move away from the 80's! I was afraid of the dark cabinets also...especially as I wasn't changing the dark flooring.Pleasently surprised that it is not at all too dark in reality. What do you think?...too dark...too '80's.Oh my god I'm thinking '80's now...
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Looks like I made it 17-17 with my vote, sorry! But I really love the grey tile for the flooring and think that the dark cabinetry will look great with it.

    As for the countertop, I think you should check out our Grigio Dolomite granite countertops. They would look great with the tile and cabinetry. You can see them here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/granite-countertops/colors/

    Good luck with you kitchen, it looks beautiful!
  • 13 years ago
    Define 'too dark'. If you can't see what you're cooking it's too dark. All other opinions are just personal.
    I voted black cabinets. And I love oaklands' kitchen.
  • 13 years ago
    I like the cream gloss you posted. Classic yet modern, with the grey floor you can play with any colour to accent in accesories
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Light cabinetry has more longevity. Also, you can choose more daring paint colors. Paint colors will be easy to change in the future, but cabinetry is not. Also, the light cabinetry will show fewer fingerprints. It seems like you really like the grey/black color scheme, and there's no reason not to do that along with the light colored cabinets. Carry it through in the paint and accessories, which will be easy to change later on if you get tired of it.
  • 13 years ago
    Oh, Nicola! You are so funny! I know what you mean by "seeing", and "unseeing". In our first house (1975), I decided I just HAD to paint the kitchen. That was the last kitchen I ever painted! I labored over the colors, and if you paint cabinets, you will never do it again....................with the insides, and outsides, it's never ending.

    At one point I was standing with one foot on the counter top, and one on the part of the stove with no burners. It was an old stove, and I guess my weight made wires press together inside, and blue flames started shooting out of the burners.

    I won't even tell you the colors, it's too embarrassing, but after all that work, it looked like the interior of a bus station. And to just top it off, we put down indoor/outdoor carpeting....................to match the revolting paint job!