Software
Houzz Logo Print
crossh12

Need Help - Furniture placement in Living Room - sectional or sofas?

9 years ago

My living room has a large window and door on one side and the entrance to the dining room (opening closest to the fireplace) and kitchen on the other. The kitchen opening is actually a foot wider than on the layout. I'm trying to figure out furniture placement. I found a nice sectional with a chaise, but it takes up most of the room. Not sure if that will feel too crowded, although it does not block the entrance way to the dining room. I like the two sofas facing each other but I'm worried that the dining room entrance way will feel blocked. My old layout is also below. Any thoughts appreciated.


This was my old layout. All the furniture is gone, except the two cabinets.

Comments (16)

  • 9 years ago
    Here's a picture of the living room and the sectional I'm considering. I put tape where the sectional might sit. Will it make the room too crowded?
  • 9 years ago
    Maybe something like this would be better, more room to manoeuvre.
  • 9 years ago
    The room layout you have is incorrect
  • 9 years ago
    You have the two chairs in front of the fireplace. And there's two openings on the wall to the left of the fireplace
  • 9 years ago
    And there needs to be room to walk in the front door which is on the wall on the right of the fireplace
  • 9 years ago

    The sofas and chairs are so much more functional than the sectional and will sit far more people. Looking at the configuration of the sectional you're considering, I can't imagine more than 4 people sitting comfortably on it. A group of folks aren't going to want to sit elbow to elbow on each cushion and it's not very conducive to conversation to be lined up. What depth of sofa were you accounting for in your layout?

  • 9 years ago
    I think you're right. I'm really worried I won't like the sectional. I guess I'll just get a sofa and love seat.
  • 9 years ago

    No sectional gets my vote..You can also do sofa and 3-4 chairs..even better!

  • 9 years ago

    Rather than a love seat, consider two smaller scale sofas. Or a sofa and two chairs. I have a Flexsteel sofa that's 70" long with two cushions and it's very comfortable for two people. It doesn't overwhelm the space and it's still long enough to stretch out on.

  • 9 years ago
    I do like that look, but then I'm back to seating only four.
  • 9 years ago

    If sofa faces TV/fireplace, you can have a chair where you had before-floating by partial wall and 2 chairs facing partial..2 chairs swivel..single could also have an ottoman..

  • 9 years ago

    I like your first configuration with the two sofas and two chairs. It would work if you moved one sofa further toward the window, used a more narrow coffee table, and left 18" between each sofa and the table, which would give you more room behind the further sofa as a walkway. The grouping doesn't have to be centered exactly on the fireplace. Instead of the end tables at the sofas, use one very small end table between the 2 chairs, so you have walking room into the seating area on either side of the chairs. The symmetry of the 2 consoles next the the fireplace is also nice.

  • 9 years ago

    Oh you could definitely use two sofas and two chairs. Or one sofa and four chairs. The room is big enough to handle it. Keeping the furniture on a smaller scale will help.

  • 9 years ago
    With main entrance straight into lounge
  • 9 years ago
    Thanks everyone. Irene, that's what it looked like before. I know if I don't center on the fireplace it will bother me. I like things symmetrical.
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH