Software
Houzz Logo Print
ceobound

Stain - 2 parts classic gray 1 part dark walnut

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Anyone ever use this mix of stains on the floor? does not need to match the door stain shown but using as a reference. The floors to be stained are red oak.

Thank you!

Comments (30)

  • 8 years ago

    you may not still be watching this thread but am curious what you went with! we have red oak that we need a medium brown (with a touch of gray) on to match cabs that won't go well with red-toned flooring. did you have any luck? the stains look gorgeous on your floor!

  • 8 years ago
    Nay1126 not sure if you stained yet but we are mixing 50/50 classic grey with dark walnut or 50/50 grey with provincial have 1 day left for our decision
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Hi! We are one week out still. It got delayed until the very end of the project. I wish I could be more help but would love to see pictures, if you wouldn't mind, of what you decide! I was making a decision between those two combos with one more in the mix: medium brown with gray. So hard! I had wondered if there was a way to lighten the dark walnut (with "natural" or white) a little, but my floor contractor is not keen on doing a ton of samples. I guess I understand. Which gray are you using? For some reason my guy used bona with the duraseal dark walnut on a quick sample a few wks ago and it was nice. I'll see if I can clean up the sample to post.

    I do love the provincial on your pictures, just bc it is lighter. Are you trying to match cabs or can you pretty much do whichever you prefer?

  • 8 years ago
    We can do anything because cabs are white and island dark gray. The dark is more dramatic but I am leaning on the provincial/gray mix as more practical, still rich brown but the gray took the red that I dislike out. I will double check the stain because they took both minwax and duraseal out of the truck to put samples down. Also was originally going with water poly but using oil now. Lots of debate on durability on these boards but with the colors we are doing I am not too worried about a yellowing effect. I think its more problematic from what I read on lighter colored floors. I will definitely post pics when stain in down.
  • 8 years ago
    Seeing my pics the stains are minwax for the combos. The duraseal was coffee and medium we tested after I took these pictures but the coffee was too dark and red for me.
  • 8 years ago
    Just met floor guy he will use duraseal and I am going with provincial mixed with gray 50/50 just have to decide satin or semi. Since the gray cools down the floor I am worried satin might look too dull but not sure about semi gloss. By next week I will have pics if this was a great choice or not....fingers crossed.
  • 8 years ago

    I'm sorry I missed these posts. My notification just ding'ed. ;) I am thinking about asking him to do the duraseal straight through too. I don't like the idea of mixing the brands, for some reason. I am sorry I didn't post pics, my better stain colors (he did a bunch of tiny ones early on bc I was v worried about the red oak) are now covered by the island. We may be staining next week now too, but schedule still in flux.

    I am definitely going to ask him to do both of those combos (and med-brown + gray) and put a layer of poly over before I have to decide. We have a little bit of a tough time bc my lower cabs are a bleached walnut and so have both gray and lighter/medium brown. The floor has to have this combo, but it is pretty easy to create a clash. Hadn't thought of this when we picked these cabs. But...I am going to stay optimistic. We are doing the water based poly bc one of my kids is v asthmatic. Pls post pics and I'll do the same! So fun to be at this part, right?! (FIngers crossed it all ends perfectly too....!)

  • 8 years ago

    your kitchen is gorgeous, btw!

  • 8 years ago

    Thanks nay1126, I procrastinated so much that I didn't have them put a coat of poly on samples so I am really rolling the dice here. I will absolutely post pics, hopefully of a great looking floor we are happy with. My husband and 2 daughters actually like the dark walnut and gray mix but since I am too scared to take the risk going provincial and gray and praying it comes out great. Tomorrow is stain followed by 3 coats of poly, so they won't be done till Tuesday and warned me to stay away 2 more days so I will be taking pictures from the windows :)

  • 8 years ago

    Ha! I hear you, tho, I am leery of the dark walnut too. I will have to go with whichever of the 3 provides a little contrast with these cabs without clashing. I honestly think you can't go wrong with either of your combos because each will look great with your cabinet colors/stain. So exciting! (And best part is it marks the END of the project. ;))

  • 8 years ago
    Nay1126 the floor guy just sent me a pic, not sure what area if the lighting is making it brighter or darker but at first look I really like it! I couldn’t sleep worried I chose a crazy combination. I searched all over Houzz, Pinterest, google and no one I could find had a picture or ever did this combo 50/50 Provincial and Classic Grey. Also was worried I wouldn’t like the lighter alternative to dark walnut but so far seams rich enough and I like the gray showing in the darker grain of the wood. Wish I could see it in person but better I stay away till it is ready. Tomorrow starts day 1 of satin poly. Will try to get another pick up by the weekend. It will be oil based so still worried may amber but might not be too bad.
  • 8 years ago

    It's gorgeous!! I hope you are back in and it is just what you wanted! We decided to push our stain until the very end, so are scheduled for 2/20. I am relieved, but anxious to just get it done! Has been so fun watching this and, while you'll be OVER it (!) when I do mine, I'll still post. ;) Lmk if you get a good pic of it "done."


  • 8 years ago

    It's gorgeous!! Completely love the gray. Will definitely try this combo in my sample mix! I am so sorry to hear about the boiler. Did you get that all straightened away? So fun and hope you all are in the house and loving everything. (We are inching there....)

  • 8 years ago

    Hi Maura - Any chance you have a "final result" picture you could post?

    Thanks!

  • 8 years ago

    I would love to see a final picture as well! We are staining next week and this post helped a lot with color choices! Thank you!


  • 7 years ago

    Hello! Can anyone post a final pic of this floor 50/50 Provincial/Classic Grey? Thanks!

  • 7 years ago

    We are doing ours now also, 50% jacobean and 50% classic grey :) We also have red oak floors.

  • 7 years ago

    Would love to see pictures! Wondering if Jacobean/Classic Grey is darker than I am looking for.

  • 7 years ago

    Leana do you have photos of your color? I would love to see!!


  • 6 years ago

    Yes I would love to see how the floor came out A T@home. We are testing stains tomorrow and looking to use Minwax classic gray, Jacobean mix to get a darker gray color.

  • 6 years ago

    Sorry just saw your comment - here are our floors 50/50 jacobean & classic gray. I love them

  • 6 years ago

    Leana Giannios

    I love the color in this pic but wondering if they look much darker in person?

  • 4 years ago

    @Maura DeVellis do you have a pics of the final outcome with the poly down? I am very strongly considering these combos (Classic grey/Provincial) or (Classic Grey/Dark Walnut). Would love to see some pics of the final results.

  • 4 years ago

    @nay1126 what did you end up going with? Any pics of the final results? Thanks.

  • 4 years ago

    Late to the party here wish i could see pics of it down

  • 4 years ago

    @herrprofessordoktor - what did you end up doing? Do you have pictures?


  • 4 years ago

    We ended up going with 2:1 Dark Grey:Espresso and they turned out magnificently. We also went with a matte finish

  • 3 years ago

    @HerrProfessorDoktor love your floors imma try it! were those duraseal stains?