Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshua_walker9849

Waterfall/fountain with Pond

Joshua Walker
10 years ago
I'm thinking of adding a water fountain/feature with a pond here. Starting at the top and cascading down to a pond with or without fish and live plants. Good idea or bad idea? The last photo is one I found online. Not nearly as large or grandiose but something like that.

Comments (28)

• patty947
    10 years ago
    I see the water feature in your sample as being more for outdoors. But, I love the idea of something fun and dramatic in your space. You have a perfect niche for that. And, if water is what you want, go for it! Just get someone experienced in installing them and I don't think you'll have problems. Good luck with your project.
  • PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    10 years ago
    I wouldn't recommend a water feature. Too much moisture for most homes. You may end up with mould and mildew problems. Also I can only picture it in a huge grand foyer.
  • PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    10 years ago
    I think a pair of gorgeous light colored sculptures or art pieces would look great in that spot. Something to contrast the dark railing.
  • Sherry Li
    10 years ago
    yes,this kind of feature is better for hotel loobies or outdoor,but you can also try wall fountain, beautiful I think
  • Joshua Walker
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all for your opinions. I was thinking about adding some decorative tile around the area to protect the walls in the immediate area. I will strongly consider them as I look at the options.
  • User
    10 years ago
    No fountain, maybe an indoor palm on the top shelf.
  • Linda Jones
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I think it's a wonderful idea, so if you really want to do it, you should. All your friends will be jealous. (Well, I'll be jealous, anyway.) A small fountain won't cause moisture problems--we have a little one, probably half the size you're thinking of, and it certainly doesn't create any problems. If you set the rate of flow to be slow, it won't splash and therefore won't damage any surrounding wood. Ours trickles down over a slightly angled back wall, so it falls gently into the container below.
  • patty947
    10 years ago
    I totally agree with Linda Jones. Either a smaller fountain (than the sample picture) made for indoor use or a wall water feature in the same place as the existing art piece should be no problem and would be fascinating there. I wish I had this little niche to "play" with.
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    With a fountain there, that powder room will come in handy! lol
  • joannpb
    10 years ago
    The pictured fountain is awfully busy for that small space. A fountain would be nice there, though. just something a bir more streamlined.

There are dozens of pictures here: http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Auf8UCs6_Pzr2_9zf5o6Qi2bvZx4?p=contemporary+fountains+indoors&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-900-21
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    It's good that the toilet is situated right next to it, because the sound of water trickling...
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    I like the free standing ones above. I have never installed a built in one in a home but have removed a few.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    If you're going to do an indoor water feature (I admit, these may be a bit too much for your space, but still... you may find them inspiring)

Lake Michigan Home · More Info

Lake Michigan Home · More Info

The Aurea · More Info

Rustic Entry · More Info

Contemporary Home - Boucherville · More Info

Reynolds Plantation Home · More Info
  • PRO
    ReSquare Architecture + Construction
    10 years ago
    I would not recommend an open water feature in a home unless you are in a dry climate and use natural ventilation. Most contemporary homes in all but super arid climates are very tightly sealed and can't accommodate that amount of evaporated moisture through diffusion unless they are equipped with a central air de-humidification system. It will collect at various dewpoints inside your walls, ceilings unseen and give you no end of grief in mold problems.
  • joannpb
    10 years ago
    Are you serious? Most of the New Englanders I know use various kinds of humidifying devices in their homes in winter. Those who don't suffer more alergy problems, itchy skin, nosebleeds and other dryness-related probems.
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    No. Bad idea.
  • Joshua Walker
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Home and garden show...here I come!
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    10 years ago
    So what have you decided...? we're holding our breaths and waiting for after pictures!
  • peterliz
    10 years ago
    You might want to consider more of a contained metal such as copper flowing down the wall to a basin with stone similar to the black pattern on your floor - if you run a/c and have a good flow of air you should not have a problem - repaint with a mold and mildew resistencia primar and paint to keep it from being an issue - you could have plants around the fountain or nearby that would absorb moisture in the air
  • Linda Jones
    10 years ago
    And the plants will add to the beauty of the little tableau.
  • Joshua Walker
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Will probably do a self contained sculpture or wall art with a larger live plant on the highest platform.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    @joannpb; You are absolutely correct. I'm not saying a home doesn't need moisture in the air, I'm saying most homes can't handle the amount a feature like this could generate under certain, rather common building and atmospheric conditions.

Humidity comfort in a home is all about *controlling* the humidity level to the appropriate content (appropriate being related to occupant need, home construction, ambient indoor and outdoor temperatures, etc.) in a home. There is a big difference between a controlled, integrated HVAC humidification system designed to do that and what is essentially continuously running a garden hose in your home. The garden hose may be perfect in one set of circumstances and a disaster in another, and often in the same home in the same week.

This is a good example of the reasons I usually recommend people here seek local professional advice in answer to their questions: depending where Joshua Walker's home is, how it's built, how he uses it, what his personal relationship to moisture is, what sort of allergies he may have all come into play and aren't considered here in most answers. The feature may work just fine or may be a disaster, and without more detail investigation by an architect and/or mechanical engineer there to sort out the details Joshua's rolling the dice just polling opinion here.

So, to be fair, I should have added : "but if you really want it, work with a local design professional before you do it."
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Joshua,
    If you do want that "waterfall" garden look, you can do it without running water. Use stones & stone veneers for finishes and work draping plants into the design. Could work out really nicely. Add a well lit sculpture and it would be quite an eye catcher.
  • Momof5x
    10 years ago
    1st option: You could buy one of those fountains that are independent of any connection to the stairs, there are some beautiful ones around. We have one placed in the corner of our swimming pool house ( holiday home you could say as we don't live there daily), it has three layers, and water flows down them like a water fall and returns ( a cycle). You just have to plug it into a wall switch.

2nd: to buy an higher plant that just reaches over the banister a little.

3rd: Some ideas below

Modern Hall · More Info

BURLINGAME RESIDENCE · More Info

Glenn Gissler Design · More Info
  • sikuvitall
    10 years ago
    A water feature under the stairs is terrible feng shui! Mold and mildew; bad idea!
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Years ago I had a small one that kept on spraying water all over the floor and to the sides ,the mist of the water will do this regardless ,I think that it would be better outdoor .

You could consider this style

http://www.napoleonwaterfalls.com/waterfalls.html
  • PRO
    Luxe Water Walls
    9 years ago
    A water wall could help create the water feel you are looking for: http://www.LuxeWaterWalls.com