Software
Houzz Logo Print
pchavimangel

One or two coats paint

9 years ago

Is two coats paint always recommended when repainting? Different proposals I am getting are telling me different things. Any thoughts?

Comments (17)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    What are you painting?

  • 9 years ago

    Yes, my painters always do 2 coats , even when painting over the same color.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Interior walls

  • 9 years ago
    I always do two coats. I know there are adverts for one coat coverage but two coats will give you the depth of color and a much richer finish. Not all paints are created equal either! So buy the best paint you can afford and still do the two coats! You won't regret it!
  • 9 years ago

    The majority of painters use sprayers. The paint has to be thinned to be used with sprayers and that is why they use two coats. Paint put on with a roller or brush is not thinned and usually needs only one coat unless you are painting over very bright or very dark colors.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Paint is not thinned for spraying.


    2 coats.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Two coats. And most painters do not spray unless an empty new /cheap build where you get a primer and one coat........ a very bad, short lived paint job btw.

  • 9 years ago
    Two coats. When one has the first coat on, one (hopefully) likes the change, and noticing only this, sometimes thinks a second coat not necessary. Go with the second though, it makes a difference
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you all!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Prep, primer, and two coats. If you skip the first two, you will not get a quality job. Of course, someone who does that won't be $1.98 Spray Rig Sam. A quality job won't be the cheap guys.

  • 9 years ago

    You can get 1 coat paint for walls

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Sophie that is the right formula.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Even top of the line paint that advertises a one coat option doesn't have the depth and durability as two coats, from my experience. I have repainted every room in the 3 homes we have owned and never got away with one coat and liking its end result.

  • 9 years ago

    I just painted my kitchen last month myself.

    Even tho I had paint plus primer (bm regal select) and I was covering a lighter color than the new color, I still had to do two coats with the roller. You could see the yellowish tone of the light color underneath. (I painted Bennington gray over Richmond gray)

  • 9 years ago

    We moved last year and prior to move in I had ALL rooms painted. Walls all needed two. I could have gotten away with one on some walls but the color was richer with two. Some ceilings required 3 coats because we were going over very dark colors on the ceilings and I was changing all ceilings back to white. Those ceilings that were already white only needed one coat to stay white. I would NOT let any painter spray inside my house! Evan on the outside we had that done years ago and the job did not last as long.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    One coat may work if you double cut the edges an roll it with 3/4 nap roller. You just created a huge golf ball wall but got in one coat and reasonable too.