Software
Houzz Logo Print
youandiaredominoes

Embrace or mask a bold fireplace?

9 years ago

Hi there


I'm moving to a house with quite a big, bold fireplace (see photo) in the living room. I would like to decorate the room and wondering whether to embrace the fireplace and make it a centrepiece or try to mask it a bit by using a darker paint colour so it doesn't stick out so much. Any thoughts on colours that would work well with this fireplace?


Thanks!


Comments (40)

  • 9 years ago

    I would embrace it.

    Matt Billington thanked palimpsest
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    See here how other fireplaces with similar colours have been incorporated.

    If that surround is not part of a genuine Victorian fireplace, I would consider repainting it. Using similar hues on the walls is not masking. It's complementing.Faux fireplace, similar colours.

    Matt Billington thanked worthy
  • 9 years ago

    Embrace

    Matt Billington thanked camden1996
  • 9 years ago

    It would be my favorite item in the room, let it shine.

    Matt Billington thanked Yayagal
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    My stars! To have such a unique home feature would be the ultimate for me! Please let us see more photos.

    Matt Billington thanked lovemrmewey
  • 9 years ago

    I'd be hugging that fireplace every day ...and planning the decor around it.

    When you move in, post some pictures of it from the front.

    Matt Billington thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    I would only embrace it if you like it. If not, I would redo the surround if it's not your taste. But it's not going away with a wall color.

    Matt Billington thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I wanted to say "embrace," but then I clicked to see the larger version and I don't think I'd want to live with those goblets or whatever on the side panels. So I'd paint away.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    The fireplace is gorgeous but it sure is the diva in the room. If you like it, I'd paint the room a darker color and add a darker area rug so the diva would blend in with the crowd a little better. What colors do you like? There seems to be plenty of rich colors in the fp that you could use for inspiration.

    The other thing you could do is have a surround made that would slide over the diva-ness. I'd just make sure the carpenter preserved what was underneath.

    Matt Billington thanked deegw
  • 9 years ago

    I could live with the goblets (or whatever they are), just not in combination with that checkerboard tile. I really don't like the two elements together

    I would either embrace the whimsy of the checkerboard and change or obscure the outer part, or re-tile the checkerboard to color-coordinate with the other bits. Or leave as is, and as the OP suggests, try and minimize the whole thing.

    Matt Billington thanked cawaps
  • 9 years ago

    I also think those side panels are a bit odd. Seems like they don't go with the checkerboard part.

    I might try some potted plants in front of that part, as a reversible fix.

    Matt Billington thanked hibiscus909
  • 9 years ago

    I wonder if the checkerboard is original or if someone painted the tiles after the fact? Maybe our resident architectural detail expert will pop in and give us the scoop.

    Matt Billington thanked deegw
  • 9 years ago

    I don't see this painting as some kind of valuable antique, FWIW. To me, it looks more like someone who was seriously under the influence of Mackenzie-Childs, combined with some D&D.

    Matt Billington thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • 9 years ago

    Its hard to say without more pictures but I have seen plenty of examples of what would now be considered bizarre and clashing combinations in Victorian and Edwardian fireplaces and vestibule tile and millwork that ended up to be original. So who knows...

    Matt Billington thanked palimpsest
  • 9 years ago

    Agreed. I wish we had a more head-on photo.

    Matt Billington thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • 9 years ago

    Do you know the age / history of it? It certainly commands attention, not so sure if in a bad way or a good way. Whatever, if it's staying you definitely need to decorate the room in a manner ( with paint or?) so that it looks like it belongs.

    Matt Billington thanked Bailey R
  • 9 years ago

    Wow, this is my first post on here and I'm overwhelmed by the number of responses and advice given! I haven't moved in quite yet so will post more photos as soon as I can. I might be visiting the property this week so will try to take a few more photos.

    I've attached the only other photo I have below.

    For me, if it is an original fireplace (house was built in 1904) I would like to keep it as it is part of the history of the house. However, if it isn't original I might be inclined to remove it or at least paint it so it doesn't have just a big presence! I'm going to get friendly with the neighbours and ask them if they have original fireplaces in their properties. Would be interesting to know if any parts have been painted too...


  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    In this picture it looks like the real deal and I would not alter it in any way. I am assuming this is UK based upon your spelling, the way the door swings into the room, the radiator and the outlets.

  • 9 years ago

    Paint it white or tile over it with gray tiles.

    ....

    Just kidding. Wow, I love it.

    I see they tried to match the blue tile color for the wall paint, but I'd probably go darker.

    However, I can't tell your colors. One wall looks pink, the other bluish gray.

  • 9 years ago

    I agree if it's original I would not be able to make alterations to it I would want to preserve it. Try to find the house history and you may be able to find pictures or previous owners who have pictures.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Yes, that may well be original. If it is, I would try to preserve it. But I have to say I'd try to find things to put in front of the goblets/chalices.

  • 9 years ago

    I'd paint the blue wall the same color as whatever you paint the other walls and leave the fireplace intact. It's charming.

  • 9 years ago

    Bigger photo helps tremendously. Embrace it. yes to painting the room one color-and I'd pick a deeper one. Maybe also a version of blue if you love it, but more complicated. I've no idea how to properly explain what I mean, by "more complicated blue"..so maybe somebody will come to my rescue.

    Do you plan to change the floors?

    Congratulations on the new house..and on the fireplace, that you might like or not, but it definitely has a presence, a character..you have to talk to it, since it obviously has a lot to say:) I like when things are like that..not completely characterless..it's challenging, but can be challenging in a good way.

  • 9 years ago

    The problem with the fireplace is that it's sitting in a sea of beige and pastel blue instead of its original surroundings which would have been wood floors, richly colored rugs and drapes, and more ornate accessories.

    Paint the wall behind it a medium-dark color from the marble and it starts to settle in.

    A nice persian rug, some deep teal plush-looking uphostery and an ornately framed mirror or art over the mantel will make it look like it belongs.


    Matt Billington thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    The new picture helps us understand the overwhelming presence it is. Let us know when you find out its history. The original is worth preserving and any visitors will get that too!!

  • 9 years ago

    Wow ..Embrace !

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Thanks all. I've done two rather crude mock ups using a darker colour from Farrow and Ball (see below - there is a subtle difference between the two). Do you think either works?

  • 9 years ago

  • 9 years ago

    That is really a fabulous fireplace and surround. I cannot see much of a difference in your two blues, so I think either would look wonderful in your room.

  • 9 years ago

    Love it. Have you peeked what's beneath the carpet?

  • 9 years ago

    Unosoccermom...lol paint it white jk.

    I love it. And I don't think blue needs to be the dictating color in the room if you don't like blue.

    Me, I'd go dark colors but, that might not be your thing.

    Can you spend a lot or a little on the walls?

    Purchasing new furniture or using what you have. If you are using wht you have can we see the pieces?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I really love the fireplace! It's a shame the room has sort of been sterilized and contemporary-ized around it. There is no other personality in the room so the fireplace looks like it's getting bossy. Can't you get it some friends? Maybe a wood floor with an antique rug? Or, a boldish black and white rug? Some cool animal art above on the wall?

  • 9 years ago

    I like the fireplace better now seeing it head on rather than at an oblique angle. It's growing on me. I like the direction you are going with the wall color (also can't tell the difference on my monitor). I had also thought black, although that would REALLY make the checkerboard pop (apologies to all who hate that word).

  • 9 years ago

    Pop lol

  • 9 years ago

    Embrace it -- it's beautiful. I'd go very dark behind the fireplace...and then warm up the colors for the rest of the room. The art, the pillows, rug, etc. can reinforce the color scheme which needs to be fairly strong to balance the strength in the fireplace. You can also blend the more modern with the traditional to keep it lighter. If you do that, you can have a very pleasant, up to date room that honors it's past.


  • 9 years ago

    Love, love the fireplace. You are on the right path. I would so love to see some hardwood with it.

  • 9 years ago

    Hardwood, yes. Totally

    I wanted to say to lazy_gardens, yesterday or whenever we both posted..sometimes I love so much when people don't beat around the bush and just say it..because I asked "are you planning on changing the floors?"

    and lazy_gardens just said what I meant by it, so it became easily understandable..:)

  • 9 years ago

    I like the direction lazy gardens and Annie are taking the room in. Dark, worn leather brown on the walls with rich tan and blue and rust tones brought in through the furniture, rug and accent pieces. Let the fireplace be the star wth a dark tan or brown paint surrounding the fireplace.

  • 9 years ago

    I love the blue chair justerrilynn posted and the dog art screams decadence. Just like the fireplace. Lose the carpet.

Sponsored
The Steele Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio