Software
Houzz Logo Print
dhernek

15 years ago
What refrigerator is that? What is the finish on the side edges of the doors?

I am having issues with my free-standing panel-ready refrigerator from KitchenAid because the side edges of the doors are black. Trying to figure out what to do.
Whistler · More Info

Comments (8)

  • 13 years ago
    What did you decide to do with the Kitchen Aid refrigerator? Did you get used to the black on the sides? I'm in the same dilemma. I don't want to spend $8,000 on a fully integrated refrigerator. The Kitchen Aid with custom panels seems like a more reasonable solution. Any advice?
  • 13 years ago
    I kept the refrigerator and I got used to the black. Because of the placement of the refrigerator and views from other rooms in the house, I did not want stainless. But, like you, I didn't want to invest or commit to a built-in refrigerator. I mistakenly thought that this refrigerator with the panels was going to slide into the opening and sit flush with the cabinets around it with just a 1/2" gap around the sides and top. Once it was here I learned that in order for the doors to function, more side clearance was needed for the doors. I could have the front be flush with the surrounding cabinets but then I needed around a 2.5" gap on either side for the doors. Or I could have a much smaller gap but have the doors projecting out more than the surrounding cabinets. I had the flexibility with my contractor to try it out both ways; I did and I opted for the latter and the doors stick out about 3.25" forward of the surrounding cabinets. The thickness of the door is 2" (black), then there is a 1/2" (black) bracket used to attach the panels, and the panel itself is 3/4" thick -- so that comes out to 3.25". WIth the exact same refrigerator in stainless steel, in the same opening, it is a much more streamlined look because you just have a 2" thick door projecting beyond the surrounding cabinetry. For my situation, doing the panels was the right choice but, I have to say, for almost all circumstances I think I would prefer the stainless. I attached a couple of photos. Hope this is helpful.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for the photos, dhernek. It gave me a clearer picture of what it would look like installed. I do love the look of the custom panels and after having stainless steel for years with children, I am not going that route again.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Looks like you got your answers...

  • 11 years ago

    Does this model allow for custom handles?

  • 11 years ago

    Cabinetry panels are attached to the refrigerator and handles are installed on the panels, so YES. My refrigerator pics are in the comments (not the main pic). It is a KitchenAid and did not come with handles. I had the custom panels made by my cabinet maker and purchased the handles separately.

  • 10 years ago

    Do you by chance remember where you got the fridge/freezer handles? They are perfect for our Thermador panel ready fridge.