Software
Houzz Logo Print
irina_correa50

Help me to decorate my dining room...

9 years ago
I recently bought this dining set and I'm waiting for the chairs that I ordered online to go to the ends of the table. https://www.wayfair.com/Latitude-Run-Sudbury-Wingback-Chair-LATT6191.htm . I started with a french country style in mind, but seems like I've lost the inspiration.... I want to paint and change the light fixture. Maybe this one https://www.kathykuohome.com/Product/Detail/11906-Garbo-Hollywood-Regency-Antique-Silver-Leaf-Crystal-Bead-Chandelier . Also was thinking about a white buffet or side board, but dont know if that would look good. Can this still work as french country or I'm already on the traditional boat?? which color painting you recommend? window treatments??... I feel lost... Help please!

Comments (83)

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I sometimes go crazy trying to understand why a perfectly good plan gets gummed up. If chairs stay, at least move on angle one to each corner. The side board does not work well in this space.
  • 9 years ago
    The chairs are not staying. I just wanted to give it a try, since they just arrived today. I'll use them in my living room. I'm still trying to go with the plan Flo, but I have to work with what I have. All the furniture is new, that I just bought previously to when I started this thread.
  • 9 years ago
    I was secretly hoping that the chairs will look like these. :(
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    OK, I understand, can you place the huntsboard/buffet on the other wall? Could you take a leaf out of the table for every day so the table is shorter and turn it across the room and put your original chairs in a more open arrangement? Just wondering out loud here. btw, I think I have that same huntsboard!! haha! Or one very similar.

    huntsboard · More Info
    Obviously at Christmas. Yours might be a buffet not a huntsboard. The huntsboard is higher than the buffet. We can decorate that up for Christmas! If you celebrate that holiday!

  • 9 years ago
    @Flo Mine is a buffet I think, but yes very similar. I do celebrate Christmas and love Christmas' decor. I'll move the furniture around as you suggested. I'll post pictures to see what you think. Thank you so much, I really appreciate your advice!
  • 9 years ago
    Moving things around
  • 9 years ago
    Don't get mad at me for wanting these chairs to work. I forgot to mention I already ordered custom made chairs for the living room. If I can't make these ones work here, I'll need to use them in my bedroom.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Something wrong , no balance or scale with those chairs, Irina.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I am not mad, and I commend you for trying. The chairs don't work but here is way they could look better. First, the table is much better in that configuration. Now slide buffet over centered on window. Yes it will be slightly above window sill. We are draping that window and layering with woven shade that will come under the window sill behind buffet. Then, put a host chair either side of buffet angled in corners. I am going to do a rough sketch for you.
  • 9 years ago
    Thank you celerygirl... I see them in my room and don't look that bad... Then when I take the pictures I see everything wrong with them :/... I'll remove those chairs for good.
  • 9 years ago
    Such a great idea Flo... I'll do that.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hold everything, try this.

    sketches · More Info
    This is what I was trying to describe above. Don't look too hard at this crazy sketch. In a hurry! But you get the idea. See if that will work. It might. At least for everyday. If not then the chairs will have to go elsewhere.

  • 9 years ago

    Irina-Please try what Flo is suggesting. The host chairs are over sized for the other pieces but her suggestion can make them look fine for everyday. When you are having more than 6 for dinner, they will be easy to pull in to the table.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    OMG! Take a look what I found !

    Horchow · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    More!

    Natural Dining Table & Upholstered Dining Chairs · More Info

    What is the difference?


    Natural Dining Table and "Elizabeth" & "Melody" Chairs · More Info

    Where is the catch?

    Eclectic Dining Room · More Info


  • 9 years ago
    I think except for the 2nd picture my chairs have wider backs.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    those are pretty photos but all but one room is substantially larger, but I still think it can work if you try my suggestion, :-) Worth a try.

  • 9 years ago
    I'll try once I get home.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    k

  • 9 years ago
    My window is off centered, so not sure if it looks good. My rug arrived yay!
  • 9 years ago
    Another angle.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    The chairs are good in the corners and we can trick the eye with putting drapery across the wall to imitate a full window. Just takes more drapery and some trickery! Chairs are much better off to the corners. They are really not hostess chairs. But at least we can work with them now. Are you still planning on painting, getting new chandelier for this room? And some nice styling for the top of the buffet and table?

  • 9 years ago
    Yes, I'm still willing to do that... Paint have to wait a month or so untill the kitchen is finished. Meanwhile I can buy the things I need.
  • 9 years ago
    I was thinking to maybe get real dining chairs and move those ones to other room. I like were they're now, but smaller chair may look better... What abiut these ones?
  • 9 years ago
    where*
  • 9 years ago
    ugh so many typos
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Looks weird. You have two windows in room. Is other window centered? may be we can flip table on 90 degrees and use other window for chairs?

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Can you post a rough sketch of how this room is laid out and the adjoining rooms? The white chair you posted is a better option but I would hold off on any more chairs until you are able to get your room painted and a new chandelier and window treatments. Then you will have a better full vision so you pick host chairs that are perfect.
  • 9 years ago

    Maybe buffet on the wall side.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You really have two options for the buffet, 1) orient the table lengthwise in the room and put the buffet on the left side of the room where the window is centered; 2) or orient the table crosswise and put the buffet centered in the room and work with drapery to make the window look centered. We can trick the eye with this approach, but it might not appeal to everyone. Drapery across that whole wall, with a fiber roman shade that cuts the light filtration at night when entertaining and using a formal living room, will completely change the look and no one will notice the off center window. I will find some photos to show you this concept, but it will be much later today. Have appointment, have to run.

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you everyone for helping me, especially Flo... I think this would have to be the layout. I can't have the buffet againts a window because of my 1 year old. I removed the giant chairs (that actually don't look good in my living room either). They're too tall for my low ceilings. I'll keep you posted on the updates.
  • 9 years ago
    Thank you everyone for helping me, especially Flo... I think this would have to be the layout. I can't have the buffet againts a window because of my 1 year old. I removed the giant chairs (that actually don't look good in my living room either). They're too tall for my low ceilings. I'll keep you posted on the updates.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Heavens to Betsy! They are tall. Yes, they are humungous! If you put the buffet on the side, then I think it best if you put the table on the same axis, because it will give you more room for chair push back. When your young one is older, you can put in front of a window. It will look a lot better. Do keep us posted. You have been a real trooper to keep trying different approaches. I admire that!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    btw, thanks for the shout out. Love helping folks here on Houzz.

  • 9 years ago

    The dining looks great!

  • PRO
  • PRO
    9 years ago



    48 x 33 inches, acrylic on canvas.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I saw this room and chairs reminded me yours.

    Formal Living Room – O'Donnell Woods Model – 2014 Fall Parade of Homes · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you Jonnie_bean, love the mirror!
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I am curious if you have changed your mind on the lighter creams and pale greens? The rug looks very traditional. Is that your direction? How can we best help you now? You mention you like the mirror which is also very traditional. Let us know.
  • 9 years ago
    I picked cream, blue/aqua and gray for my color palette. I'm sewing my throw pillows and curtains, but my time is limited, so It'll take a while to finish them. (The blue looks kinda gray in the picture, but it's a pretty blue). I still don't know what style I'll end up with, I'm trying to pick things that speak to me.
  • 9 years ago
    @celerygirl I love those wingback chairs. I see them in other's pictures and look great. For some reason they don't look good in my house :/
  • 9 years ago
    That's my rug. It has a little bit of the same blue colour.
  • 9 years ago

    That looks interesting.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Irina, I suggest you to hang on drapes from the ceiling to the floor, then your room will look visually higher. And chairs look good now.

  • 9 years ago

    To be honest, I rather like the chairs flanking the fireplace (pictured above). I wonder if you would consider painting the fireplace brick a cream color. If you also removed or lowered the mantelpiece and added a fairly large piece of art, I think it would tie it all together. Sorry... I know that you are working on the dining room, but as in most interior design, one room informs another and the domino effect begins!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hello, We would like to suggest that we are providing best dining chairs which fit any dining table. You can select from our collection. Have a look at our best dining chair sellers collection https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/88340619/thumbs/dining-chair-collection

  • 9 years ago
    @joemelindashafer Yes, I know the living room needs work too. I'm considering whitewashing the fireplace and adding a mantel. The"mantel" now is more a shelf. This house hasn't been touch since it was built in 1991. I'm currently working in my kitchen too. I'll be here asking for advice when is time for the living room. Thanks all, I appreciate your suggestions.
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County