Software
Houzz Logo Print
cole789

Need help with wall under stairs

9 years ago

Looking for ideas for this half wall under my stairs where the couch is. I was thinking of doing a small gallery wall of family pictures but as you can see from the other picture I have a lot of family pics already so I don't want to over do it. I just fell like this wall is bare and needs something. Also, going up the stairs will be 2 large scones so I didn't want to put anything else going up the stairs. We live on a lake so was going with the coastal theme. Thanks!




Comments (27)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Morning!

    What about floating selves staggered? They can hold all different items depending on what you want to showcase!

  • 9 years ago

    What is to the right of the floor lamp?

  • 9 years ago

    Open door way leading to the kitchen.

  • 9 years ago

    I would not add more family pictures to that wall. I think it needs one larger piece, maybe round. It might be the angle of the photo, but it looks to me like the sofa and floor lamp should be moved slightly to the right.

  • 9 years ago

    Too much shelving on the TV wall. If you want to keep the big shelves, I'd replace the shelves under the TV with a proper credenza.

  • 9 years ago

    I agree with Grover - move the whole furniture arrangement off the wall and towards the tv.....

  • 9 years ago

    I also agree with Grover.....too much shelving on the TV wall.

  • 9 years ago

    I would also move the furniture out as it appears that you have plenty of room but, to your original question...I would go with one large piece. Keeping nautical go with a nautical theme oversize clock or some type of artwork with reclaimed wood. A search for the reclaimed wood artwork on etsy will give you lots of options. I would definitely go with One large piece rather than many in a gallery.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    it makes no sense with your spacious room to have folks sitting on the couch be in the flight path for people walking through (and tromping on the rug). yes, move it in with the passageway behind it.

    your tv wall is beset with small rectangles, what with the speakers and all of the photo frames. you need some larrrrrggggggge things to mix it up some.

    and you'll enjoy every photo more if there are only 1/4 of the number there are now, and changed to new ones each month.

  • 9 years ago

    Unless there's a floor outlet in place, that floor lamp isn't going to be able to move off the wall without a cord snaking across the newly-opened space behind the sofa. In that case, I'd ditch the floor lamp completely. I do think that moving the sofa forward looks best.

  • 9 years ago

    If there's enough room to move the rug closer to the TV and the sofa away from the stair wall (and with the front legs on the rug), leaving enough room for a walkway, perhaps you could use the furniture piece that is currently under the TV on the stair wall and add a solid piece of furniture under the TV. If that works, I'd still use only one large piece on that wall space with the stairs.

  • 9 years ago

    Grover - ok, so I moved the couch and chair like you said. When I originally bought the console table under the tv it was for that wall behind the couch. But when I put it there it didn't seem to give me much walk room. Now the couch is about 4 feet off the wall but I feel like everything is getting pushed up to the tv now. Should I try to move the console table back behind the couch again? Thoughts on if I'm moving in the right direction? This is a weird layout of a living room, I've had trouble with it since we moved in. Btw - the couch looks off centered with the room but I'm centering it with the tv.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I like it moved off the wall! I think the console table behind the couch would crowd things too much, so I'd leave that alone. I'd move the couch and chair over a bit. Rather than centering the couch on the tv, you should center the combo of couch and chair, that'll balance the room better. The way it is now, the couch is hogging the rug, and the chair looks a bit like an afterthought clinging to the edge.

  • 9 years ago

    I agree about centering the couch and chair as a unit in front of the tv. Doing that will also bring the chair into the viewing area for the tv. And bring the other chair onto the rug again (perhaps you were going to do that anyway) If you feel the couch is squished too close to the tv feel free to move it back 6 inches. Sometimes just that little bit loosens the room up a bit.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago


    Elohbee - I see what your saying! I moved the couch and chair over to be more on the rug but then it looked uneven with the room. So I moved the rug, couch, chair and coffee table towards the Windows more. Looks more cohesive. Thoughts?? Thanks!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Kitty is VERY interested in what's happening with her furniture! I like this last arrangement. The one thing that seems off balance to me is the etagere' bumped up against the windows; it seems too tall there for the room arrangement. I can't get a clear take on your room, but what would you think about moving it to the left of the tv, but perpendicular to the wall, so it's against the wall, but it becomes a bit like a room divider there. I, personally would find another place for the console table if you can't make it work behind your sofa, just because it is so similar to, and placed close to the coffee table - and it's quite similar to the etagere'. I'd like to see a piece of wood furniture under the tv (easy for me to spend your money :-) so there isn't so much leggy glass and metal.

    If it worked to move the etagere, then you might be able to add your other chair in that area of the room. Wouldn't be great for watching the tv, but it would be nice for the conversation area.

  • 9 years ago

    Ansley, this is better. I'd like to see what's on the other end of the room, opposite the windows. My sense is that the whole arrangement (including the shelves and TV console) needs to go away from the windows and that you should have walk space behind the sofa and between the chair and the windows. Maybe the left edge of the rug should line up with the doorway there. I can't tell without seeing what's on the other side of the space.

  • 9 years ago


  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Here's another view of the room. The other side of the room is leading to the dining room, foyer and master bedroom.

    Ignore the floral chair for right now. I do agree that I need more of a solid peice of furniture under the tv. The bookcase won't fit anywhere else in the room, it's quite wide. I can try to move it closer to the tv but then it may hide one of the 82 speakers in the room and my husband thinks that will ruin his surround sound effect. Lol.

    Another thought too, what about if I move the couch so it's facing the Windows and then put the 2 chairs and small round table where the couch is????? The windows look out at the lake.

  • 9 years ago

    Picture shelves onto the stair wall maybe. The table, sofa and chair can move forward a tad to still provide the walk way.

  • 9 years ago

    If you turn your sofa toward the windows could you then use the shelves under the t.v. behind it (so you're not looking at the back of a sofa from the foyer)?

  • 9 years ago

    So much better with the sofa pulled away from the wall.

  • 9 years ago

    If I had a view like that, I would definitely turn the couch to face it. But it might mess up the surround sound, lol! It wouldn't be ideal for tv watching, but I always think when there is something wonderful to look at, but all the furniture is facing the tv, that it looks like we are worshiping at the altar of tv - because everything is so focused on it. You might talk him into a swing arm tv holder so the tv could angle toward the couch when being watched and pushed back fully against the wall at other times.

    I really like the floral chair added in, too. With the couch facing the windows, you could then use the console behind it if you wanted to. It's a really pretty space and looks very inviting this morning!!

  • 9 years ago

    I like this so much better with the sofa away from the wall and the walkway behind the sofa. I think I would also get rid of one of the pieces on the TV wall, either the tall shelf or the console table the two pieces are too much and take away from the openness of the room and the beautiful view. I am sure there is somewhere in the house to move one of these pieces to.

  • 9 years ago
    Does that tall shelf fit on the wall between the dining room and foyer?
  • 9 years ago

    put the larger are chair square to the coffee table on the opposite side move the smaller chair to the other side. remove the very tall shelf and add a second chair to that side