Software
Houzz Logo Print
angela_smith14

My kitchen seems so blah! How can I change this? My island and cabinets are same color. Too neutral . Into hom

13 years ago
My kitchen seems so blah! How can I change this? My island and cabinets are same color. Too neutral . My home is a farmhouse shabby chic style. Help! Need an inexpensive way to change it

Comments (19)

  • 13 years ago
    I would add a bright color in a window treatment. Also could add a few colorful accents on the counter.
  • 13 years ago
    I would consider black knobs and cup pulls for the farmhouse look and adding a rug. I like your window treatment, but I can see how it's a lot of wood. But I think that adding hardware to the cabinets with more of a pop will break it up.
  • 13 years ago
    Your kitchen is a bit blah. But if you add some personal and colourful touches, like a rug, towels, a blackboard somewhere, perhaps change the lights... We can only see part of your kitchen, so it's a bit difficult to see if you have space for a dining table and painted wooden chairs....?

    Austin Modern Farmhouse · More Info

    Flea Market Chic · More Info


    Tattersall Aqua/Green Woven Cotton Rug · More Info

    Vintage Canning Jar Chandelier by LampGoods · More Info

    KitchenAid "Artisan" 5 Quart Tilt Head Stand Mixer, Aqua Sky · More Info

    Prinsenhof Pie Dish · More Info

    Melamine Large Batter Bowl With Handle · More Info

    La Campagne Kitchen Towels – Set of Three · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Good point carolins about the lighting - lighting can be a good way to add some personality to the room. I love those jar lights.
  • 13 years ago
    Certainly some window treatments that add color and pattern. You might also consider painting the base of the island to a color as well.
  • 13 years ago
    Yep, would definitely think about painting the island cabinets a different colour. That would make a huge change!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Paint your ceiling and your walls the same color. That will emphasize the molding and help with the 'blahs".
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I know you said low cost, but I think no matter what you do that countertop is going to scream "blah." Those cabinets are lovely. The biggest thing I see that could be inexpensively changed would be to add some contrast in the backsplash. Check out this website. They have some amazing unique tiles that would really add character and flavor to the kitchen: http://www.tabarkastudio.com/
  • 13 years ago
    If you are interested in black pulls and knobs, I would also think about changing out the faucet to add some interest.
    Traditional Kitchen · More Info
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    new knobs and a new back splash would warm up this beauty
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    If it has not been mentioned before, I would suggest substituting some of your wall cabinet doors for glass doors. I local glazer should be able to help you. Maybe the corner cabinet or the wall cabinets flanking the window.
    I would change the faucet color and also a darker grout color for the black splash tile.

    Good luck!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    the cabinet is ok that back splash needs a mix of stones and colors to warm it up and the color match of back splash should go on the walls , that the way I see it
  • 12 years ago
    I would pull the dark color out of your granite and stain the island that color. Paint the cabinets gray or white... In other words, pull the colors from your granite. Love the idea of Black hardware on doors. I think your stone backsplash is lovely. Add color and pattern with roman shade and accessories... Maybe a tile/stone feature behind the stove if budget permits. You have a great space here... The warm tones of the cabinet space just don't flow with the cooler tones of the granite and tile. Alternatively you could stain the cabinets in a darker walnut or espresso color. Your kitchen is really nice...You have a lot to work with!
  • 11 years ago

    This kitchen is pretty nice. Just accessorize for colour. Use a bright red or your favourite colour in a kitchen towel, knife set, floor mat/rug, fruit bowl etc. It will be inexpensive and you can always change the colour if you grow tired of it.

  • 11 years ago

    The kitchen is wonderful as it is.

    What you need is some accessories in a color that you love.

    Bright orange, turquoise, sky blue.

    Perhaps a small lamp on the counter, a couple of canisters, tea towels, a big fruit bowl or whatever.

  • 11 years ago

    How about painting chalkboards on the doors of the top cupboards? You could you chalkboard paint in bright colors instead of black.


  • 11 years ago

    I have oak cabinets too and I agree, black accents will make a huge difference for the farm house look. I don't know what kind of lighting you have, but I painted one bright brass chandelier with a charcoal black paint, then edged with a copper foil pen. It turned out so nice, I did the same to my exhaust hood. Be sure the paint has no more than a satin finish. Shiny paint shows flaws and paint strokes. I love copper, orange, yellow, and green accents but barn red would be a nice contrast as well.


  • 11 years ago

    this post is 2 years old....