Software
Houzz Logo Print
robbykamluke

How can I update this piano?

13 years ago
I'm purchasing this piano for my 8 year old son. It's in perfect condition but I'm not loving the style or finish. Is there any way to easily darken it, without stripping it? Or any other creative things I could do to update it? Looking forward to your suggestions. I'm afraid it's going to stick out like a sore thumb like it is now.

Comments (136)

  • 13 years ago
    What if I covered the seat with the same fabric that the pillows are made of? Would that be too matchy matchy ? It has all the colors in it and I have extra fabric so it would be good for the budget as well.
  • 13 years ago
    I love that idea, duck!!! I'm sure I can figure put how to make it!
  • 13 years ago
    Budget first, I say. You spent money on the most important thing...the piano!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    @Sandi ..... so you have your piano in place
    I bet you are pleased you now have it
    on seeing it in your home Do not paint it fits in well
    just a thought can you put it at an angle not straight to the wall ?
  • 13 years ago
    Hi pearl:). I wish I could but I just don't have the space to do it. That area leads into the dinette area . My house is small , but I love it!!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    LindaMcCormick, I burst out laughing when I read your comment because I was FORCED into piano lessons and hated every minute of it. If I could have turned that piano into anything but what it was I would have been the happiest little girl on earth.

    Beautiful piano and love the idea of just changing the seat material for now.
    off-white Cosmo cat fabric with musical notes from Japan · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Maybe this picture will help...
    I was standing at the front door when I took it.
  • 13 years ago
    Like the artwork above the sofa and the fact
    that you and your kids
    made it
    thats a lot of toilet paper!!
    I had better get my DH on the case
    OR MAKE A FEW MORE CURRIES
  • 13 years ago
    This is so fun!
    Vintage Sheet Music Cone Wreath by roseflower48 · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I really like the piano where you put it, with that vase beside it. Eclectic! A storage bench, like the 'overstuffed' patterned one in a previous post {Novus Design - http://www.target.com/p/songbird-storage-bench-collection/-/A-12818719#?lnk=sc_qi_detaillink ) might make the difference you want for right now. Ask your son, he might find it comfortable, and you can use that piano bench elsewhere. I'm kind of minimalist, so like it without further pieces.
  • 13 years ago
    Darn it ...after looking at my own pictures I can see how much I really need crown molding too! :)
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    @elfanton .... Like your idea of the storage bench
    Nice and bright!!!! But will it not be a little low ?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    @Sandi....Type in family tree Decals (photos)......Just a thought you could paint one
    on the wall add a shelve to one of the branches and put music books on.
    Or photos of family coming off
    some branches
  • 13 years ago
    I like how this looks. Obviously not the same accessories but the placement and size of them. What do you think?
  • 13 years ago
    I just finished helping a friend do a family tree photo wall:)
  • 13 years ago
    Or this?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Both are very nice
    The top one is best child friendly
    I did one(FAMILY TREE) in my youngest sons bedroom
    Hes now 27 lol
    NOW I FEEL OLD
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    The light on your piano yes you want it to look good
    But it has to serve the purpose
    meaning .... That your son can read the music he will be playing by that light
  • 13 years ago
    It should be fun finding one that's both ...not!! :)
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    One dilemma leads to another lol
    But they can be solved
  • 13 years ago
    For a budget friendly piano lamp I would look at resale/antique/thrift shops and estate sales. Most people these days don't invest in a piano, and no one knows what to do with these function-specific lamps except give them away or sell. If I am looking for something specific in these kind of shops, I let the owner know so if it shows up the next week they can give me a call!
  • 13 years ago
    Thrift shops (Charity shops over here)
    Estate sales ... (car boots here)
    my house is full of finds from any on these
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Writing as a parent and as a teacher of children with learning disabilities, I must commend you on investing in your son talent and interest. There is no better gift. When you decide to start lessons, I would strongly advise you to meet with several teachers and find the best match for your son's personality and his learning stye. You have the right approach...let him lead the way. I love the idea of one poster who limited practice time so her children would ask for more! Throughout the years, you'll probably receive even more parenting advice than you have about your piano (which seems impossible!!!) Just remember that what works for one chid doesn't necessarily work for another. Listen to your child. Listen to your instincts. And when you don't know what to do, seek out the best professional help you can find!
  • 13 years ago
    You could always paint it a fun color and upholster the seat a fun pattern?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    We learn a lot from the gift of music be it playing an instrument or by our voice (singing)
    As a child and even as an Adult
    we can give pleasure to ourself from music as well as giving it to others
    we can gain confidence in our playing
    and our playing may also give us confidence in every day life
    all of which are priceless
    As i have found this to be so

    I would have loved to have seen your sons face when you got the
    piano
    another priceless thing for sure
  • 13 years ago
    Sandi, I like the first arrangement for the piano with the lamp and the branches. Someohow, it looks a bit more child friendly!
  • 13 years ago
    HI! I haven't read through the comments, but I saw near the top a few people recommended chalkboard paint. As a pianist PLEASE do not do this - the chalk dust will get in the piano, on the strings, between the keys, and cause damage. Nothing crumbly, dusty, or wet should ever be near a piano.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes!!! Finding the right teacher is crucial !! My husband is actually going to take lessons and if Robby decides to then they can go together. We have three adopted sons, all so different. The other two have special things they do with daddy , sports and such .I'm praying this will be the special something Robby and daddy can have. Because he struggles academically he lacks self confidence and is scared to try new things because he's scared he won't be good at it. He needs that something that makes him feel successful. Did any of that make sense? :) I appreciate all the advise and comments, you all are very sweet.
  • 13 years ago
    @ pearl, you mentioned seeing my sons face when the piano arrived. He actually acted nervous at first , like he was afraid we were going to pressure him, I'm not sure :( We just didn't make it a big deal and told all three boys that its theirs if they wanted to play and if they didn't, that was fine too. A couple hours later he was sitting on the bench just looking at the keys but never touched them. I wish I knew what was going on in that cute little head of his.
  • 13 years ago
    It made perfect sense, Sandi. Like any of us, Robby will just have to keep trying things till he finds something he can't bear to be without. But when he finds it--bliss. If he likes music, this may just be the thing, especially if it is something his brothers don't do!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    @Sandi....It was good then you did not make it a big deal !!!
    YOU know your son even if you do not know whats going on in his head
    if that makes sense
    yes if he wants to just sit and look at the keys
    thats also good is it not
    its like a child being curious
    I know this is not the same thing
    But when my daughter wanted to learn to ride her bike
    I tried and tried to get her to do it with no luck
    Her brothers were always better at things then she was
    then for a few days
    did not say a thing about her bike
    just left it by the back door
    it was just there
    she would look at it then hold the handle bars
    I said nothing
    I pretended not to be interested
    THEN ONE DAY SHE JUST GOT ON AND AWAY SHE WENT
    SHE DID THIS WITH OUT STABILIZERS
    Her brothers on the other hand had them to begin with
    she often
    Reminds them of this !!
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Sandi. I have not read ALL the comments and glad to see that you had a lot of responses. I just want to point out that you may or will need a lamp for it. :-)
  • 13 years ago
    I'm not in love with ' piano' lamps at all . I think a regular lamp will give plenty of light.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I hope that it will
    maybe with a brighter bulb
    I HATE mine (piano lamp ) But
    my DH LIKES IT !!!
    I had better let him get his way SOMETIMES LOL
  • 13 years ago
    How's this for a start?
  • 13 years ago
    love the wall art! chopsticks are easy to pick out and fun to teach / play together.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Sandi ..... Love the candle sticks !!!!
    also the home made art !!!!
    not sure about the other things you have placed
    How are you doing with finding a lamp?
    maybe you have one already around your house you
    could use

    Love to see a picture facing head on of the piano and that wall
  • 13 years ago
    Use a different stool, maybe steel framed or chrome and or update the upholstery to a geometric black and white to pick up the keys. then stage the top with ornaments to match.
  • 13 years ago
    DO NOT PAINT THE PIANO YOURSELF!!!
    If you choose to have it painted hire a PROFESSIONAL PIANO PAINTER.

    It so happened in my family that a used violin was purchased for a child. It was not as shiny as the violins of the other students in beginning orchestra class, and this saddened the child. So, an adult varnished it and hang it to dry over the weekend. The varnish completely ruined the sound of the violin, because the wood could not resonate.

    Here are some photos of current piano bench styles.
    The first photo shows an adjustable height bench. I suggest that you look into an adjustable seat of some sort for your son.

    The second photo shows a bench built especially for playing duets.
  • 13 years ago
    Here is a stylish piano bench. I have no idea how comfortable it would be to sit on.
  • 12 years ago
    Make a fun musical area. Musical wall notes, decals , fun statue on piano that is musical - draw children in http://houzz.com/discussions/839401
  • 12 years ago
    One more - go to Houzz products and type in music http://houzz.com/photos/10390854
  • 12 years ago
    Sandi, I think the piano looks lovely in your home. Let it have a chance to look "at home" before making any major change. If it truly becomes a member of the family, it will have lots of music books spread around on it anyway. I do like the "metal art" above it, but don't crowd the top of the instrument too much. In choosing a lamp, check out the glare from the bulb. Certain heights could be a problem. Maybe that's why less attractive piano lamps are used by more serious piano students. If music is to become a part of your family, keep the area welcoming and not overly decorated to the extent that the children (or husband) might feel intimidated to just sit down and play. That's what I mean by saying give it a chance to be "at home." See how it's used before making a decision about decor.
    I'm saying all this even though I like to decorate to the hilt. I'm also a piano player and have taught for years. I have two pianos in my home...an ebony grand and a spinet very similar to yours. The spinet is my childhood piano. The two pianos are in the same room....my formal living room. I admit that the grand takes center stage with the smaller one tucked against a wall with a piece of art above it. But they are tuned together and sometimes played together. Loved together. You are a special person to be giving your family the gift of music. Because of that, your home will always be lovely.
  • 12 years ago
    Do nothing to it. It is for your son.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You can accent wood by burning the surface with small handheld torch :-) Different species of wood respond to the fire differently and the colors you can achieve will not be anything compare to use of stain. Also by burning you can get different finish which can be dark or it can be lightly caramelized and that will give that finish a unique and warm glow. We did this for a customer to his very expensive wall unit and it was amazing how it came out... When he asked me if I was willing to do this, my first thought was that he is nuts, my second thought was, I did this before for a customer but it was a cedar wall in the bar area and it came out pretty good. Dealing with this piece of furniture which he said he paid 10 some years ago 18k, I made him sign a waiver, because if he was nuts I wasn't gonna to replace that if something should went wrong LOL, and the result to my surprise was phenomenal, and I even suggested doing something like this to a few of my customers down the road, one was with a kitchen and the other one was with a bar and by the look of theirs face, I think they thought that I was nuts LOL, but it is what it is, you never know until you try.

    With that said and if you get the nerve to try it, make sure you do this in a well ventilated area, use caution because its an open flame and try burning wood if you can outside or in the garage.

    If not, like others said, leave it the way it is, its a beautiful piano and its in a very good shape.

    Good luck
  • 5 years ago

    Beautiful piano. Do you play piano professionally?