0
nidnay

Am I the only one who really dislikes quartz??

nidnay
I have yet to meet a quartz I've liked. It all looks so fake to me. I just cannot jump on this design bandwagon. Are there any others out there who just don't care for quartz? ***Please....no offense meant to those who love it!***

• nidnay

Dixie Flood....very pretty slabs.

• Claire Pope

I also think quartz looks like plastic, I would love marble but I fell in love with Soapstone so that is what I will use in my new kitchen.

• nidnay

Claire Pope....soapstone is a beautiful stone.

Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center

Have you seen Bedrock Quartz from MSI or Caesarstone's Atlantic Salt quartz? Or soapstone-like Piatra Grey? They are beautiful!

• Debra Scandone

I feel the same as you - I keep looking at quartz for all its great properties but just don't like the look. Everything goes in and out of style - Buy what you love! and enjoy it!

• beverlynn

Nidnay, I can't stand quartz! It looks like a giant piece of plastic! The fake marble is hideous. Don't get me started on the one design that looks like pubic hairs scattered on it...yuck!

• Tems

Quartz is a fantastic material(though I don't particularly like the marble look or oatmeal look). It feels very silly to complain that it's unnatural or fake when most of the stuff in our houses is unnatural in a similar sense. There's hardly anything natural about paint that covers most surfaces. I always wondered why there's a fixation on natural with countertops when it's just another home surface.

• Brian Edward

You are correct I love my SILIGRANIT sink as well. Fake like quartz

• Chessie

You have a fake sink?? How does that work?

• Brian Edward

It’s the best fake sink I’ve ever owned. Looks brand new 4 years in unlike my “real” stainless sink in other room which has scratches

• Chessie

So not a fake sink at all. Boy you had me going there. LOL.

• hopingtogetfit
    I can’t stand quartz. I can’t believe people pay what they do for such a plastic-looking material.
  • Billie Leeth
    I like quartz if it is just pure white and paired with a colorful or busy backsplash and natural wood cabinets.
  • Chessie

hopingtogetfit

"I can’t stand quartz. I can’t believe people pay what they do for such a plastic-looking material."

That clearly is your own mental hangup. It doesn't look ANYTHING like plastic. It's rock hard, sleek, cool, stained by nothing (in my experience at least) simple to clean, maintenance free, and gorgeous. What's not to love? :-)

There are lots of different counter materials, and we all don't love every single one of them. I sure wouldn't want to go in other homes and see identical counters in them all.

• Brian Edward

Fake Quartz

• Chessie

I see you have a fake island too. Nice!! Very pretty kitchen!

• lizziesma

Personally, I like Corian, wood floors, and I've had enough subway tile and stainless everything to last me the rest of my life. I guess I'm too practical and enjoy spending my retirement dollars on winters in Maui. Not following the crowd because the crowd changes...

• Elena J
    I also struggled to fall in love with a quartz product. I was tired of our granite and really wanted to find a quartz for the kitchen and also needed something durable for the laundry room. However, in the lighter colors we were looking for in the kitchen, the quartz veining and luster always appeared a bit fake compared to natural stones. I went to multiple fabricators and searched through options from roughly 12 different quartz manufacturers. I looked at everything from small samples to big slabs, but still no dice. We ended up putting quartzite in the kitchen and a concrete looking quartz in the laundry room. I really liked the look of the concrete quartz, but I have to say the maintenance is terrible. It’s impossible to clean without leaving streaks (even after following the manufacturers instructions.) Watermarks and fingerprints are very obvious and don’t easily go away. After researching (too late - after installation), I discovered this is a common issue with Silestone concrete looking styles. I wish I had picked a natural stone for the laundry room too. I think the quartz manufacturers are very good with advertising as “low maintenance” and pushing their product out to designers. Before you choose a quartz, I recommend researching the exact brand and style to see if there are any known issues. Aside from the issues with maintenance on the concrete and honed quartz finishes, there’s definitely some lighter colors that seem to repeatedly have issues with staining. On the contrary, we are very happy with our quartzite in the kitchen.
  • Chessie

there’s definitely some lighter colors that seem to repeatedly have issues with staining.

What colors would that be? I have had mostly-white quartz for nearly a year. I've had nothing to stain it. I haven't used a permanent marker on it, but other than that, I've not taken any special care with it. No sealer needed either. It is for sure, low maintenance. It ain't bulletproof - it will definitely chip - but it sure does not stain like marble, and many of the quartzites that have been posted here on HOUZZ.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/quartzite-stains-dsvw-vd~4566362?n=23

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/brand-new-quartzite-already-stained-dsvw-vd~5352781?n=320

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/help-new-quartzite-is-this-a-stain-or-the-stone-dsvw-vd~4822713?n=1

• Cheryl Hannebauer

For our new build I had picked a quartz for the wallrun/prem' countertops with granite for the island>> hubby decided after a month, he just didn't like the quartz, to fake were his words, so Nidnay you are not alone. We went back to the stone yard & picked out a slab of granite for the wall run counters.

• alyssa987
    No! You are not alone! I looked at quartz and I really don't like it? To me it lacks character. I went with granite instead Just love the look of natural stone so much better!
  • jmm1837

As far as I'm concerned, the only character I want in my kitchen is me :) I like quartz precisely because it doesn't have character and doesn't try to compete with the things in my home that do. I want the focus on my art, my tribal carpets and wall hangings, and my odd and interesting collections. I don't particularly want all eyes drawn to the countertops when the walls are so much more interesting.

To each his own.

• Elena J
    I’m by no means saying ALL light colors of quartz are prone to issues. I’m saying that for anyone considering quartz, I recommend checking reviews for your desired brand and specific pattern/style BEFORE purchasing. When I was researching the problems with our concrete quartz style after being unable to clean off the water marks and fingerprints, I came across common issues with specific quartz brands & styles in regards to staining on light colors and also, as separate issues, common problems with honed quartz finishes and also concrete styles. (Which some manufacturers even acknowledged in fine print on their websites.) It seems that not all quartzes are as low maintenance and carefree as the ads would like us to believe. If you ended up with a good performing quartz in a light color or concrete or honed finish, then yay for you. I’m not someone who’s throwing stones from afar- I just paid for new quartz countertops- no doubt I wish I could say they’re great.
  • RaiKai

I like quartz because it is man made. I don’t see it as a “substitute” for marble or granite or anything else. I like how clean, modern, and versatile it is.

I knew from the start of my new build that I wanted quartz. Had no interest in natural stone, be it granite, quartzite, marble, soapstone. Thought I would end up with a warm white quartz of some type but as soon as I saw the CS Bianco Drift I was sold on it.

I also agree it is a bit silly to worry about “fake” in the world and homes we live in today. Unless you live in a mud hut with a grass thatch roof and stumps as furniture, we all are living amongst “fake”.

• bwhaney
    Absolutely love our London Grey quartz countertops from Ikea!! Easy to clean and everyone raves about them. Apologies if this photo doesn’t capture the counters...
  • Kristel Quintana

I won't talk you into trying to like Quartz. I wasn't crazy about the shiny look either but my husband liked it. I took home a few samples (Silestone) and tested them. The part I didn't like was that it was easy to scratch and that the shiny surface made the scratches super noticeable. I went with Corian (lots of Corian haters out there). I scratched it with my keys and used a very fine wet scotch brite pad and the scratches came off - the finish looked new. You can't sand Silestone. Personally I found the semi-matt finish of Corian more appealing.

• Chessie

Kristel Quintana - super easy to scratch? Interesting! Must be a silestone thing - but it's the same Breton technology so I can't imagine why it would be different from other quartz. None of my samples exhibited any scratching. Then again, I never take keys and scratch my kitchen surfaces either LOL. My old laminate wouldn't have taken that well, either.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Nidnay, you have a right to your opinion! Personally I think engineered stone (aka quartz) is over-hyped as being bullet-proof and perfect. All counter top materials have their pros and cons, and quartz is no different. Although it uses natural quartz, it is not a natural product, as the quartz is mixed with resins and polymers (i.e., plastics) to create the final product. There are many different colors and patterns and some can look very fake. My pet peeve are the ones that try to mimic marble--some are heavily veined and look particularly fake and "cartoonish." Others, as beverlynn hilariously stated, look like they have hairs on them! (When I was helping my daughter with her kitchen, we used Silestone's Lagoon pattern over Lyra, as Lyra's veining looked like black hair!)

Other problems with quartz can be found all over the internet--from chipping to staining to water marks to streaking when trying to clean them. Most of them are shiny, but some are honed, and the honed quartz comes with its own set of problems. Nothing is perfect--don't believe all the hype and do your own research before committing to any product.

• Ingrid Goenaga Gonzalez
    Why are all these scathes on my new quartz? Supposedly it’s high grade? They are everywhere ; some deep enough that I can place my nail in it!
    Worse of all, the grains of the quart so left to right and these scratches go up and down .... the installer is not responding
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

And there you have it!

• Chessie

"quartz) is over-hyped as being bullet-proof and perfect."

Of course it is!! Every new material is overhyped. That is pretty standard marketing, unfortunately.

"Nothing is perfect--don't believe all the hype and do your own research before committing to any product"

True for every single product.

And I agree that honed quartz is just a mistake. I never liked the feel of it when I first saw it, and it just seemed like a no-brainer that it would be more susceptible to issues. I don't know why they even started making it.

• Chessie

Ingrid Goenaga

Ingrid, are you saying that your installer created the scratches?

Also, as far as I know, "high grade" is not really a thing, for quartz. It's pretty much all the same stuff. It would take a purposeful hard effort to scratch my quartz - I've even used a razor blade to remove silicone caulk, with no scratching at all. Now, I don't drag my heavy cast iron pots over it, but I don't baby it either. But if your installer dragged tools across the counter, I could see where that could scratch it. But scratches that deep - that's crazy. I would hate to think what that would have done to marble or a less-hard surface. I hope you figure it out!

• nidnay

Chess-yea that’s me......I don’t think thinking quartz looks like plastic is a mental hangup and to say that it doesn’t look anything like plastic is truly your own personal perception. I do think it looks like plastic and you don’t....just differing opinions. I think we have to give people some space here to like or dislike something without intimating they’re wrong for viewing it that way.

I prefer natural materials (cotton and linen over polyester for example) and I especially don’t care for man made manufactured materials that try to mimimic the natural ones. I think that’s where quartz takes a wrong turn and looks particularly unattractive (to me). When they try to make it look like marble.....well, in my view, it just doesn’t cut it. But I won’t destain others who love it or suggest they are stupid or uninformed because they think something is attractive that I find unattractive (for my own home). That’s when it becomes snobbery.

I have chosen marble for all the counters in my home except for the laundry room (there I chose statuarietto quartz——I decided to try it out to see and experience something positive about this quartz material). The statuarietto works very well in the laundry room, but I would not put it in my kitchen or bathrooms.

I truly love the look, feel and depth of marble. Even my grandson came in my kitchen and ran his hand across the marble counters and exclaimed “this is soooo nice”. I was surprised to hear that from a young boy. Others have done the same. There is just a depth to it (you can see through the stone) that quartz cannot duplicate.

• Chessie

Ok, maybe not a mental "hangup", but it's very hard to understand how someone could confuse the look of plastic with a quartz counter.

"I prefer natural materials (cotton and linen over polyester for example) "

I do as well. I think MOST people prefer cotton, quite frankly.

"and I especially don’t care for man made manufactured materials that try to mimimic the natural ones. I think that’s where quartz takes a wrong turn and looks particularly unattractive (to me). When they try to make it look like marble.....well, in my view, it just doesn’t cut it."

I RESPECTFULLY disagree. I think it is normal and logical to create materials that look like elements of nature. ESPECIALLY when those man-made materials meet a need better than the natural material. For many people, that is exactly why they choose quartz. I would never have marble in my kitchen. I could have it on my floor - because I don't really care about a patina or scratching so much on the floor. But I'd never want that on my kitchen counter. My old laminate counters were a white, with a sort of marble-ish veining in them, but the coloring was too wishy-washy, the pattern not anythng I would want in a new counter. In fact, it looked similar to many of the quartzes out there - just going by pattern. I do like the look of marble, simply because it has a clean calm look - well, most of them anyway. Some are not to my tastes of course. I love the look of soapstone, but the softness and the maintenance, no thanks. So since I wanted white, quartz, for me, was the answer.

" But I won’t destain others who love it or suggest they are stupid or uninformed because they think something is attractive that I find unattractive (for my own home). That’s when it becomes snobbery."

I agree. Much too much snobbery in this thread, and here on HOUZZ for that matter.

• Debra Scandone

The wonderful thing is everyone likes something different and this keeps lots of jobs/companies going. I think the thing to take from this thread is buy what you love don't do what's in style and you will love it for years to come. We are lucky to have so many beautiful choices.

• jmm1837
    Just musing here...many of those who dislike quartz do so because it's "artificial" - not real, not natural. Yet many of those same people will have ceramic, porcelain or glass tile in their kitchens and bathrooms, on walls, floors and roofs. What makes one artificial component of a home acceptable, and another not? Is it simply that man has been making tile for millennia, and quartz for only half a century?

Tile has very practical uses; so does quartz. Tile can be decorative; so can quartz. And tile can be every bit as imitative as quartz (wood-look, marble-look, slate-look), yet tile doesn't get the opprobrium, contempt even, that poor old quartz gets.

Our homes are full of artificial things. Steel appliances, glass windows and mirrors, tiled walls, and on and on. Brass or bronze or chrome faucets and pulls, plastic plumbing fittings, hardiplank siding, mdf cabinetry, electric lighting (Venetian glass chandeliers are gorgeous, and about as artificial and man made as one can get!)

We use these things because they're practical and in some cases, beautiful. I think quartz has a valid place in the world of housing materials on those criteria. And it doesn't look like plastic to me. A ghost chair looks like plastic. Quartz looks like, well, quartz.
  • Gina

I so agree! It's today's Corian.

• Chessie

"many of those who dislike quartz do so because it's "artificial" - not real, not natural. Yet many of those same people will have ceramic, porcelain or glass tile in their kitchens and bathrooms, on walls, floors and roofs. What makes one artificial component of a home acceptable, and another not? "

Words outta my mouth. I always laugh when I see another post like that.

• Artsygirl
    My only issue with it is the white with gray streaks -I’m sick of seeing it. Some originality please. I understand some people don’t have an eye for decorating and thus need to replicate others’ designs. But come on....Everybody? Is there nothing else that speaks to the general population ? This white/gray quartz is gonna look sooooo dated very quickly. I’m already tired of it. Moving on
  • nidnay
    Chessie.....you’re missing the point. The biggest problem with it and my main objection is that the stuff that tries to MIMIC MARBLE just looks like a cheap imitation of the real thing...it looks like fake marble which is exactly what it is. So yes....it looks fake because it’s a man made product that is trying to look like a solid stone slab. It just doesn’t work. They even give it the same names as the genuine marble products. Personally, I don’t even like the other quartz’s that are just a mix of resin and stone but that’s another discussion.
  • felizlady
    I have seen solid-colored quartz which I like, but I always end up with granite I love. Quartz seems more modern to me. I have never had marble and would be concerned about staining.
  • Chessie

You see it as that...others don't see that at ALL.

Beth H. :

Nidnay,,,what is the name of your kitchen marble? I forgot what you had said it was. Blanco, something? and how do you find it's holding up for you? is it honed?

• nidnay

Beth.....Bianco Avion.....absolutely zero problems. No staining, no etching, no nothing. It was sealed really well. I have accidentally left coffee dribbles overnight and they just wipe up the next day no worse for the wear. I think it’s a very forgiving marble compared to the horror stories I’ve heard about other marbles. I am a clean cook though and ALWAYS use a cutting board for prep of any kind. I haven’t tried leaving turmeric on it overnight though...and not about to test my luck with that :)

Forgot to add....its honed.

Beth H. :

thanks. I'm going to see if my supplier carries this. I really love the look of it and would like to use it for my kitchen redo.

• ikroop
    Hi...Has anyone used Antolini Zerocare Marble? I too love natural marble but am afraid to use it as a kitchen countertop. I'm trying to find the best of both worlds so came across Antolini during my research.
  • felizlady
    The only material I have outlawed is marble because of porosity and staining issues. I had some boring white Corian once. I have seen some great quartz. My choice is granite. Counters and backsplash to match.
    JAN MOYER

"Zero care marble" ( https://www.marvamarble.com/inspiration/blog/2017/03/Azerocare-by-Antolini-A-Revolutionary-Natural-Stone-Treatment-2.html is marble infused with resins to protect from etching, staining.

It's not a sealer, it is a process. ......no clue as to reviews. More on it below.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/azerocare-sealer-on-countertops-any-experience-or-feedback-dsvw-vd~5295365

• ikroop
    Thanks, Jan. Very informative links.