Software
Houzz Logo Print
lisafreedman71

Accoya - your experiences?

9 years ago
Hi,

I'm looking to replace the existing UPVC frame my barn arch and window currently has. One material I'm considering is accoya.
Anyone have any experiences, good or bad to share?
Particularly interested in maintenance of the product and how it looks several years post installation.

Thanks
Lisa

Comments (11)

  • 9 years ago

    Hello,

    I had accoya windows made but that was only a year ago. Accoya has only been commercially available since 2007 and presumably it wasn't immediately popular or well known, so you might struggle to find anyone who has had it a while.

    The only problem I've had is that the paint in one place has cracked a bit, but that's probably my own fault because I didn't get the topcoat on for a long time after it was installed (it was installed ready primed).

    Are you thinking of having it untreated, or with a clear varnish or oil? I know there's a stupidly long guarantee but I think you're still supposed to protect it.

    That PVC frame does look awful.

  • 9 years ago
    Anyone else able to add?
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Yes, we had Accoya multi-laminated timber windows and doors installed in our house in 2013. Multi-lam better than a solid section as it doesn't move as much [expand or contract]. Accoya on external weather face, softwood on internal face, also a bit cheaper. Generally, looking very good 4 years on. We used v good Vallti Tikkurila paint from Finland. The paint is flexible and porous so it moves with the wood and breathes to let out any moisture build up [recommended to us by National Trust carpenter]. Only thing you need to do before topcoating is to ensure the first primer coat is a specialist solvent based blocking type, not cheap water based primer. Vallti Otex, Sikkens Rubbol or similar. The primer stops tannins potentially leaching out and staining the top coat. Other specialist paint manufacturers do similar products. Suggest you tel. the technical dept. of the paint manufacturer for specific advice on paint build up to Accoya. Suggest you don't use Dulux for Accoya as paint not as good as some others for this use. We also make sure our windows and frames are cleaned every 4-6 weeks to reduce dirt build up. We don't expect to do any painting for another 4-6 years which is a great benefit of Accoya. Good luck.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    If you are after a varnish / lacquer Sikkens Cetol range might be ok. Vallti may do a similar product as well. You need to get advice from paint manufacturer.

  • 9 years ago
    Our electric front gate is made of it. We live on a wet and windy seafront and it's doing well. We like a more natural look so it's oiled - up to us to keep it so. Only there a year so not a long history I'm afraid. My dad however has used it on other properties in similar settings and was the one who recommended so he's happy with it
  • 9 years ago
    Thanks Aoifen & Ikonografik.
  • 3 years ago

    Hi lisa freedman 71, you have probably moved on by now but I only just found your post, as I was asking the internet for Accoya experiences myself! We fitted all new bargeboards (massive) in 2011, using Accoya. It was all carefully coated with Holkham Linseed oil paint on all sides. 4 coats. First coat of warmed linseed oil. 3 thin coats properly dried between. All super-careful and using top-dollar products. Results not wonderful I'm afraid. Mould attracted like a magnet to the protein in the paint. The acetic acid element in the Accoya preservation method seems to have reacted with the linseed oil to make French Dressing/Vinaigrette!! After about 2 years I went up a ladder to inspect the grey-black smudging (turned out to be mould) and found the surface of the paint rather 'separated' - as in curdled. HOWEVER, 12 years on, I have been up a ladder again and the timber is still absolutely sound. I just have to decide what to do about the finish.

  • 3 years ago

    Hi lisa freedman 71, you have probably moved on by now but I only just found your post, as I was asking the internet for Accoya experiences myself! We fitted all new bargeboards (massive) in 2011, using Accoya. It was all carefully coated with Holkham Linseed oil paint on all sides. 4 coats. First coat of warmed linseed oil. 3 thin coats properly dried between. All super-careful and using top-dollar products. Results not wonderful I'm afraid. Mould attracted like a magnet to the protein in the paint. The acetic acid element in the Accoya preservation method seems to have reacted with the linseed oil to make French Dressing/Vinaigrette!! After about 2 years I went up a ladder to inspect the grey-black smudging (turned out to be mould) and found the surface of the paint rather 'separated' - as in curdled. HOWEVER, 12 years on, I have been up a ladder again and the timber is still absolutely sound. I just have to decide what to do about the finish.

  • last year

    Very helpful. @HU-926235750 as we’ve been looking at Accoya cladding/siding and trying to find experienced reviews. What did you do about the finish?

  • last year

    Hi @HU-301825127 and @LisaFreedman71

    So I eventually grasped the nettle... Got the whole house scaffolded again and spent 6 weeks scraping, sanding, cleaning off the original Holkham linseed paint. It had mostly degraded to powder already anyway (13 years), which I understand is actually one of the benefits - no peeling 'skin' to burn or strip off, because the linseed oil has actually vanished just leaving powder pigment. This is truly a FANTASTIC feature of linseed paint IMO. I then used linseed paint from Brouns. (Holkham are history). Brouns say that original advice about WARMED oil as a primer was about the worst thing you could do, (see Brouns' site for details). I did 3 coats, per Brouns instructions and it looks fantastic. I am hopeful - a believer! - that I will not need to repaint for many many years. Incidentally, the Accoya underneath was MINT at 13 years. The company must have been inundated with customers' paint problems as they have funded research and have a series of recommendations on their site. None of which I have followed.