Software
Houzz Logo Print
positivelyjan

I think I could win an award for the Most Ugly Fireplace

9 years ago

This FP has gotten to me after 10 years. Would painting it even help? Husband says it would

be a horrible job to remove the whole thing. Fake river rock .



HELP!

Comments (81)

  • 9 years ago

    I bet if you just had the stone removed you could do something very pretty. Something traditional or contemporary like a floating fireplace.

    positivelyjan thanked wmsimons85
  • 9 years ago

    Okay let's be serious here.

    Sounds like removal is definitely NOT an option.

    It's a big fireplace and nothing you do will make it smaller. That said, what about stucco? Could you get behind something like this?

    If yes, what's under your carpet and is a wood or saltillo (look) tile an option as you seem to like warmer colors?

    positivelyjan thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    I like that idea of stucco! Would shelves on the side look strange? I am replacing the carpet with a hard surface but probably not tile. I have some fake beams that look like wood that I could have put in. They are dark, but they can be jell painted any wood color. A client gave them to me after their project was done. Stucco would be a beautiful idea and have some iron work done to the opening.

  • 9 years ago
    Pennydesign, that's exactly what I was going to suggest!
    positivelyjan thanked Rosanne
  • 9 years ago

    I really don't think it would be that difficult, although I know messy to take out the stone. Then you could have a smaller stucco fireplace?

    positivelyjan thanked wmsimons85
  • 9 years ago

    What exactly were you going to suggest? I had a few ideas and questions. ??

  • 9 years ago
    Ok. Even stranger that you are in Southern California. Clearly someone had a fantasy that they were at a mountain ski resort or something. Having lived 20 years in SoCal can confidently predict your home resale will improve with it gone. Get estimates for removal and enjoy your home.
    positivelyjan thanked Karen
  • 9 years ago
    positivelyjan.....I have nothing to add here except wowee.

    katheros...that fireplace (and the striped chairs on top of that!!) leaves me speechless.
    positivelyjan thanked User
  • 9 years ago
    Some Smurf (and I am not slurring all Smurfs) probably didn't like the original traditional fireplace and built the mushroom roaster as an add-on to cover up the original FP without removing the original FP. That would explain why it is so HUGE. Is there a support structure under it?
    If it was my house, I would have it removed.
    positivelyjan thanked felizlady
  • 9 years ago

    rudyelligrace....I am crying that comment is sooo funny!!!.......But so true!!!

    positvelyjan - It is time to Let It Go!!!

    positivelyjan thanked shirlpp
  • 9 years ago

    nidnay. I don't understand the ref to katheros and striped chairs. I had a chair in the photo from the dining room to brace a dog gate ,,,,not normally there along with the vacum. All the other chairs furniture is not striped just upholstery.

  • 9 years ago

    This is an interesting home and we have discovered some strange ideas someone had. Most everything has been changed, removed & torn out. The only remaining thing is this stupid fire place. I'm a real estate agent and I moved here from the NW 12 years ago. My husband had this house and bought it as a bank owned for a steal. It has great land, almost 20 acres. Oak trees and it is kinda in the mountains. He has a love/hate thing going on with the fireplace. We will be selling in the next 5 years. I have put off the fireplace because I really had never seen such a thing and I know I can't throw a sheet over it for marketing. All of the great feedback is going to come in very handy soon. How heavy is a sledge hammer?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    positivelyjan.....I was referring the link that katheros99 posted (scroll up a bit). It was a link showing a truly crazy fireplace along with striped chairs in the foreground.

    positivelyjan thanked User
  • 9 years ago
    positivelyjan thanked simstress
  • 9 years ago
    Maybe you could hire an artist to do a mural on it or a graffiti artist for some fun art it just depends on your age.
    positivelyjan thanked KK1000
  • 9 years ago

    A Mural? Fun Art? Hmm...did you look at the right photo? Mine is the one that gets the most votes for a Husky-16-lb Sledge Hammer. My smoking pot days were a few decades ago. If I keep this smurf- mushroom cooker- monstrosity I will have to go back to smoking pot and playing the Doors on the stereo full blast to tolerate the living room.

  • 9 years ago
    I like the fireplace Beth posted.
    positivelyjan thanked Harper
  • 9 years ago

    Since you asked if painting it would help... Here's how it would look if you painted it white, or the same color as your existing walls.

    Painting it white, plus white walls would give you more of that "Ralph Lauren" look, sort of... in a way.

    Is this an improvement? I'm not sure...

    positivelyjan thanked DH
  • 9 years ago
    How about a Morrocan look.
    positivelyjan thanked Harper
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    No solution for this it needs to be removed! Sorry but it is so oversized for the space.

    positivelyjan thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • 9 years ago

    following...

    positivelyjan thanked shwshw
  • 9 years ago

    This is sort of what I was thinking, if you want to keep the function (and chimney). Would reduce the footprint substantially and could be modernized in look


    Lake Winnipesaukee Retreat · More Info

    Wine country kitchen/family room · More Info

    An Elegant & Contemporary Living Room · More Info

    Chesapeake Cabin · More Info

    House in Santa Lucia Preserve · More Info

    Not great with carpet, but since you're pulling that up anyway, I think it's worth thinking about.

  • 9 years ago
    Just read this entire post. Sorry to say I have been shamelessly laughing at all the posts. I hope the OP can forgive me. :-)
  • 9 years ago
    Your opening line says it all
    "I think I could win an award for the ugliest
    fireplace".
    The only solution to get rid of such an ugly item is to remove it. Make it a fun demo party!
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Oh I don't think it's as bad as all that! If it's not restricting the use of the room I'd try to work around it. Other rustic elements, like the beams you have, could help make it look intentional. But I don't mind quirky things. Unless you think it will hinder selling the home?

  • 9 years ago

    I started to read the replies, so sorry if this has been mentioned as I didn't have the time to read them all. Have you gotten an quote to remove it (and also figure in the cost of a new carpet). It takes up so much visual and actual space. Maybe the cost to have it removed will be worth it. A larger cost will be replacing with a new fireplace, so maybe skip that for now and dry wall. In time, you could open it up again for a new sleek fireplace.

  • 9 years ago

    ok, i've read through all of the solutions kind folks have considered.

    its no one's idea of an inspiration photo, just an unfortunate project that you are the owner of.

    please, get an estimate for removal before you spend anything on a gallon of white paint.

  • 9 years ago

    I think the beams would look lovely.

    I agree that (of course!) every option should be priced out so you can make a wise decision.

    I do think that you've given the fireplace a good old college try...

  • 9 years ago
    When I saw it straight on I too thought of stucco. It does have an odd kind of pizza oven look to it! I'm going to more research this evening for ideas. You can't take it out and frankly there has got to be a way to make it look more integrated.
  • 9 years ago
    Hahaha presidio I almost died when I saw your comment-I was going o say the EXACT SAME THING!! Smurf theme for sure. Paint will not help. I never ever vote tear it down, and I am voting: papa smurf, TEAR DOWN THAT WALL!
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Bell, do you think some shelving on each side would help the fireplace visually recede a little? Personally don't think full on southwestern is necessary...just a nod (albeit a large one) to the style.

    I hope we get an update on whatever the decision is.

    :)

  • 9 years ago
    No amount of stucco will help that thing, and fake beams will add to the overall wrongness of the whole room. If the new fireplace needs to be in the same location as the firebox is now, fine: beautiful shelving, a walk-in closet in your bedroom...just get rid of that thing!
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You said it is fake river rock?? as in a veneer or something not stone at all??? Have you tried to remove apiece somewhere at the bottom towards the back of the base to see how easily it comes off?? Somewhere underneath this is some framing which should be able to be dismantled - then you could reconstruct your own shape... if the "stone" is easy enough to remove...do that part of the work yourself and save some money...

    Good luck! This will be an amazing before and after!!

  • 9 years ago

    Painting it white is worth a try before going to the trouble of dismantling it. I agree with above comment from Debbi Washburn. If it's faux river rock, it's easily removable and has some simple structure underneath. It's just a messy job but not impossible. Here's some pics of painted fireplaces.

  • 9 years ago

    everyone is posting pics of painted fireplaces that are barely 8 inches off this wall. This one is like an igloo! Painting the rock isn't going to make this thing recede 2 feet. that's the issue.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Haha, Beth! An igloo for a family of eight. :).

    Personally I could not live with that stone being real or fake, painted or not. If I had to keep a fireplace there I would remove all of the stone and have a normal sized one built around the firebox. I believe building a simple fireplace can be very reasonable in price.

  • 9 years ago

    I hear you, Beth! That's why I did a mock-up to show OP, that painting was not really going to solve the problem. It's just way too large and projects out too much. Fake stone makes it even worse. I think she does win the prize for world's ugliest, at least so far.

  • 9 years ago

    Have you seen the movie, The Shawshank Redemption? Maybe all you need is a little rock hammer and in three years (it took Andy 19!) you can have no more fake rock fireplace!

    Sorry, I'm really just enjoying this in what's been a harder than usual day. I hope you don't mind.

  • 9 years ago

    It's been a harder than usual day for me (and many of us..) too.

  • 9 years ago

    This is a Living Room. Double french doors out to a large covered porch. The room is 26ft X 23 ft .

    I have a corner that I use as an office. This is a really big room. We tried the couch, a couple of chairs but it was just too big..I added my little office in the back corner with a tall screen. Office is not visible unless you are really looking.

    Painting everything white does not really appeal to me. The sectional couch is olive and the big chair is beige/gold. Big round table is glass on top and brown ish color.

    I will try to vision white but I'm not to sold on it yet. The idea of taking the rock off and doing stucco appeals to me. I like the one picture with a small stove with pretty tile to the ceiling. That is the one with the pipes inside wall. We have a light colored travertine just outside this room. No way to match it. I have been looking at grey colored wood laminate. They really have some nice wood laminate out there to pick from. A smaller footprint for the fireplace with shelves on the side maybe not wood but sheet rock finished and fireproof. I like the idea of thicker sheet rock. Interesting idea to put some storage in the bedroom with the side space. We don't need more closet but storage would be a grand idea. The MB is the same size with a Fire place on the back side of the LR one. Its very normal looking & it could use a little tile and the hearth to be a piece of nice granite. I really love it that you all are taking time to look at this and respond. thank you

  • 9 years ago

    What is really great is that this is the first prize for the ugliest fireplace. So many agree! When I take the first swing at it, it will feel sooooo good. Husband will say why did you do that??!!! I can give him all of this feed back from professionals. His first reaction will be ....yep she is crazy.......when it is done he will have wonderful things to say. I get the first swing though!!

  • 9 years ago

    dont forget to wear safety goggles, we dont want it to have the last laugh!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    One thing to keep in mind though before swinging that hammer.... you may be able to reshape it and change that huge curved edge that projects out a lot but you might not be able to make it shallower. A lot of that depth has to do with where the fire box is and where the flue is. You had mentioned at some point that this is back by another fireplace - that may be what's causing this one to project into the room so far. I still think you should definitely remove everything and then see what sort of shape will play out.

    Good luck and be safe!!

  • 9 years ago
    I don't see how you can do anything that wouldn't still leave you with a massive hulk of stone. While it may be one hard process to remove, all I can do is to quote Chip and recommend "It's Demo Day." Good luck.
  • 9 years ago
    In our current home we had a fireplace ten feet wide all done in Roman size pink brick. Considered covering with new stone, but it was still way to large. We consulted with chimney pros, found a rainy day laid down tarps and took it down. It was messy, but not as bad as we imagined. Less work than living with something we really disliked
  • 8 years ago

    Positivelyjan—have you taken that first swing yet? This was such an interesting dilemma I wanted to check in. :-)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Tie a bikini top at the ceiling and make two large paper mache stiletto heels for each side of the hearth. Kind of an abstract nude.

  • 8 years ago
    Your fireplace is so huge you lose almost 1/3 of your room to it. The scale is totally wrong. Even if it is a working fireplace, it takes up too much room. I would get three estimates to have it completely removed and refinish the wall behind it. If you want a normal-size fireplace to replace it, that is an option. There should be a proper foundation holding up the current fireplace. That may not need to be removed.
    You may end up having to repair or replace the flooring, too.
  • 8 years ago
    I actually like it! I think it would look better if it was in a log house. Maybe do a dark grey wood wall behind it.
  • 7 years ago

    Wow this one was a doozy. Any updates positivelyJan?