suzanne_preston2672537

Silestone Calacatta Gold

Suzanne Preston

I've just signed off on Silestone Calacatta Gold for my island bench without seeing a slab - just a small sample. Has anyone used this yet? Do you have pics for me and are you happy with it?

Thanks so much

Suzanne

• baby2534

Lornaqkitchendesigner I’m thinking of doing white perimeter cabinets and the boulder island. this is the exact color combo

• lornaqdkitchendesigner

Baby2534: Looks good. :) Is that the display in NJ?

• patio_garden

Thank you @albertmaggie. @Dan Cesario what is the white you have on your walls?

• Dan Cesario

Distant gray Benjamin Moore. It’s a very bright white we also have lots of overhead lighting. We wanted to avoid the cabinets and countertops from looking creamy white. We wanted to draw attention to the kitchen, flooring , fireplace , lighting and furniture, leaving the walls as clean background space. Our trim is distant gray in glossy as well....to me the glossy finish has a yellow sheen to it versus the same color in eggshell. People say I’m crazy but I definitely notice it. It wouldn’t look glossy next to a different color wall but because the walls are so bright it comes off that way. Our whole first floor aside from our living room (which is White Dove) is distant grey.

I used an airless sprayer for the dining room and Instead of painting the crown molding in a glossy finish , I used regular eggshell. So I used eggshell on the ceiling, walls and crown molding and glossy just on the archway trim and base molding and I actually really love the look.

• Dan Cesario

You can’t go wrong with Benjamin Moore’s “off-white collection” just keep in mind what color hues each color picks up and consider the lighting, size of the space and your cabinet and countertop colors.

• baby2534

lornaqdkitchendesigner- yes, it’s in the Paramus, NJ store

• Tania Agel

Ashley - another quick question for you since you’ve been so helpful! What size spacing did you use in between your backsplash tiles? Thanks in advance!

• Ashley Lathrop

Hi Tania, we didn’t do any spacers. The tiles already have uneven edges so when you lay one against another there’s a small gap for grout to appear. I didn’t want more than that minimal amount.

• Tania Agel

I appreciate the insight! :)

• Melanie Marie

@Ashley Lathrop, I assume your backsplash tile is the creme? Beautiful kitchen, thanks for sharing all your details. This thread has been so helpful as I can NOT decide on a counter and CG has been at the top of the list.

@Dan Cesario, I really appreciate your pics of the seam. I never really thought about that aspect of this CG choice. I'm curious, as your seam (while beautifully done) looks very obvious to me. I'm pretty OCD about continuity etc. and I've been told I will need 3 seams on my U shaped counter. One will be in the center of the sink and one in each corner. I would think the sink seam will not be obvious, but I'm worried about the other two.

@jlrogers, curious, you appear to have large counters. How many seams do you have and do they look obvious? Would you mind sharing pics of your seams? I'm not interested in the veining matching up, but the seam looking like its own vein.

• patio_garden

Dan, thank you so much! This thread has been extremely helpful in making my decision on picking each element of the kitchen which I find to be a very stressful process.

• Dan Cesario

Melanie, the seams come down to a few things.... your layout, your budget and your fabricator.

Unfortunately calacatta gold isn’t a book matched color from silestone so they don’t make it easy for fabricators to continue Veining and match up separate slabs . We had a larger kitchen , and a longer continuous design and the only thing that broke up the length of our kitchen was our stove top and sink. Plus we also did the backsplash in calacatta gold. $$$

I originally went into the process wanting 0 seams no matter what , and if anything 1 hidden in the sink, but this just wasn’t possible. Just to tackle the countertop & backsplash we needed at least 3 slabs. We had a unique kitchen design we were working with, plus a tiered bay window area and a waterfall. We could have easily went into a 4th slab to have a little more playroom but it just wasn’t worth it financially for us. The slab only has so much veinage and play. It’s best to have a good fabricator like we did who can lay this all out for you and explain everything and all your options before any slabs get cut.

Just like designing the rest of a kitchen there is always going to be compromises and trade offs. We can never have it all 🤣

• Melanie Marie

Thanks, Dan, I appreciate your input. We're definitely going to need 3 seams bc of the layout...now I'm working on finding a great fabricator.

• Chelsea B

I’m considering Calcatta Gold for both my kitchen and bathroom remodels and wondering if everyone in this thread is still happy with their choice? one fabricator I am talking to has a deal on this right now for around $50/sqft Installed. That seems good, right?

• patio_garden

I just placed my ordered yesterday and I’m so excited. And yes $50/sqft for fabrication and installation sounds right. That’s what I’m paying. Good luck Chelsea!

• patio_garden

I assume it might vary based on where you live. I’m in Bay Area CA. Shouldn’t be higher anywhere than here.

• patty sonnenschein

50 sounds great. I paid 85$ and that was Home Depot sale!! Silestone CG

• Dan Cesario

Hasn’t even been a year but we’re still very happy!

• jlrogers

Just seeing your comment Melanie.. Houzz does not send an email. My island counter is 104 inches long. No seams. There are two seams at the edge of the cooktop front and back. You can see the front at the d of the KitchenAid name.

Chelsea B and patio_garden where do you live? $50 installed is an amazing price.

• Chelsea B

Thanks for the input everyone! I live in Omaha, NE. The fabricator bought a large lot of product due to delays on other options during COVID and since it is a popular choice, and is passing on the 'deal' to his customers.

• Ashley Lathrop

@Melanie Marie My Cloe tile is the white color. Here are my seams in the corner. It's tough to make them completely invisible when it's white because the glue gives it a line.

• Ashley Lathrop

closer view...I wasn't happy with it at first, but since it's in the corner, I live with it.

• Melanie Marie

@Ashley Lathrop Thanks for the pics, it looks clean...I'm sure it's something my brain won't register anymore after looking at it over time. Thanks for the clarification of your tile color. That's my next step. I decided on the CG, now I'm waiting for my sink to come in so we can go forward with the install.

@patio_garden I'm also in the Bay Area, I'm curious where you ended up purchasing your CG.

• patio_garden

@Melanie Marie, I purchased mine at Apex Marble on Junction.

• phimubratt

@Ashley Lathrop - do you still love your Cloe tile? I am trying to figure out a backsplash. If you remember, what else did you try out? Thanks!!

• Ashley Lathrop

@phimubratt, yes still love it! I actually love it more than I thought I would. I had wanted beveled white subway for the longest time and then saw this one, ordered a box and liked the slight variation that I thought would be more interesting. And turned out that it was just the right balance of light in color yet interesting to look at.

• phimubratt

@Ashley Lathrop - a couple more questions if you don't mind.... Did you use any of the Cloe trim pieces? Did you buy the grout from Bedrosians too or did you just use a white sanded grout?

• Ashley Lathrop

I did not need any trim pieces as we stopped at the corners. And yes my tile guy just picked up white grout at Home Depot. Not sure if it was sanded or unsanded.

• Ashley Lathrop

I also didn’t do any spacers and you can still see some grout.

• mememe

Great thread! Thank you everyone. Trying to figure what tile would go nice with the Calcutta gold

• jlrogers

Tile choice is somewhat dependent on your cabinet color. I like Meringue Matte 3x12 sku 100566058. You can find it at Floor and Decor. Also Splendours White from The Tile Shop. Splendrous is a mixture of white and grey in 3x12 tile. Seen in the picture.

• jlrogers

To finish edge for Splendrous White I recommend Schluter in satin AE80 5/16 size. Provides narrow metal finishing edge.

@mememe - I have installed Silestone Calcutta gold and I used splendours white tile with a light gray grout. I’m really happy with it.

• inge0808

@Ashley Lathrop, what wall paint color did you use?

• Melanie Marie

Wanted to have a quick chat. It's been 6 months since my CG was installed and I'm seeing a lot of minor scratches and scuffing, mostly in the high traffic area next to my sink. We are very careful, I don't slide my pots in that area, I use a soft cutting board, etc. I had our counter guys come out and take a look...he also thinks it's very strange, but there's no real reason for it. He talked to his Silestone rep and they don't have any answers. They basically are blaming it on user error. Also, water marks are all over the area where the dish drain is kept, rep said to use barkeeper's friend to see if that works.

Curious if anyone else is seeing these issues? If you look at the top of the counters they look pristine, it's when you look at them with the light shining just right across them that the scuffs become obvious. I also wondered if this is just common with white quartz as opposed to a darker color.

• Dan Cesario

no marks here on my end. Sometimes hard water stains will happen where we dry our dishes, but soft scrub or bar keepers friend get everything out. Sounds like someone might be cutting directly on your countertop behind your back.

• jlrogers

Have not noticed that problem with ours that have been installed for a year.

• patio_garden

A little over 6 months here. I do see water marks where dishes dry but they come off when wiped with a wet towel. Sometimes they need a little elbow grease. Haven’t tried bar keepers friend. Might be easier to clean with that.

I have had my CG now for a little over a year. I have also noticed little scratches and we are very careful. They’re hard to notice but I see them in certain lights. I also notice I get little tiny black specs that don’t come out. Not sure what they are and have reached out to my counter installers but have had no luck getting a response back.

• TxMomma

So glad I came on this post- I picked Calacutta Gold for my counters and my fabricator is saying that a jumbo slab is $3,200 plus taxes. This sounds really high to me - does anyone remember what they paid per slab for their calacutta gold? I’m really surprised on how high he’s quoting me (which makes me want to get another fabricator quote!)

• patio_garden

This is what I paid. $1775/slab and I believe it is a jumbo slab 128”x63”. That’s not including fabrication and installation. That’s an additional $50/sqft.

• jlrogers

Look at all my comments in this section a year ago. Best price I found was Home Depot sale of 20% off material and labor. I list the price in prior comment. Other benefit is HD dies not charge sales tax which saved me $500. Best to ask kitchen designer when they will have theis sale. Not widely advertised.

• TxMomma

jlrogers - I just back from Home Depot and spoke to the lady there. They won’t sell me just the slab, it’s labor and install. I already have a good fabricator through my GC so I just need slab prices.
    patio_garden thank you for your comment, your price is almost half what I was quoted. When did you have it installed? Wonder if price hike bc of covid?

• TxMomma

Oh I’m sorry I see you said 6 months above patio_garden

• patio_garden

Okay I was wondering if your quote included fabrication and installation. If it is just the slab price it is steep. I just got a bathroom remodeled and quotes I received for bath fixtures and glass enclosure before December 2020 weren’t good anymore because they said there has been a 20% price increase since Jan 2021. I’m not sure if that’s the case with CG but shouldn’t have doubled in any case.

• inge0808

I just had CG installed a few weeks ago, paid $ 2500, fabrication and installation included.

• TxMomma

inge0808 - thank you for the info. I have no idea why my GC’s fabricator is quoting $3200 for just the product. Definitely going to be a conversation. This is so disappointing after I’ve spent all this time researching quartz and finally deciding on one just to find the price is crazy.

• Melanie Marie

@HU-871087712 Yes, it's certain light that shows the marking. If you look at the counter straight on you can't see it. My fabricator also thinks it's very strange, he sees it and doesn't understand.

@Dan Cesario The marks aren't knife cuts, it's scuffing and scratches. I could see it happening if I put my Le Creuset or something overly heavy on the counter and dragging it across the counter, but again, we're super careful and I can't imagine the surface is that delicate. I wondered if it's just more obvious bc it's white.

• Dan Cesario

send a picture if you can!

• Michael Lohr

Any advice on what color white to paint my cabinets with CG? My island is going to be Ben Moore Gargoyle 1546. Wall color is Ben Moore Edgecomb Gray HC-173.