Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_2134672

Is this iron scroll outdated?

9 years ago

Thinking of putting it above my TV. TIA!



Comments (27)

  • 9 years ago
    Yes.

    And no, I wouldn't put anything above the tv
  • 9 years ago
    I think it goes with your decor well. If you keep staring at that blank wall, hang it. That is a tough spot to fill.
  • 9 years ago

    I also think it will look nice with your place

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I have scroll in my kitchen and several accents throughout my home. The color didn't show very good, the side shutters are a dark sage and the wall a cream color. Everyone loves this when they come to my house.

  • 9 years ago

    Totally agree with some others that you must NOT put anything above the TV. Makes it crowded. Doesn't add, but somehow takes points off.

    I do however LOVE that iron scroll. Maybe put it in upright position somewhere else in your house? On a wall that can handle it still?

    Outdated? Not in my opinion. Some things and styles are timeless. Provided it is used in the right way or with a fun twist.

  • 9 years ago

    It's all a matter of personal taste and respect others taste. I personally am not a fan of iron scroll. It has it's place in some homes, certainly. I just feel this room does not need it. It looks fine as is. I don't think every place that is empty needs a, "piece" to occupy it.

    Kriste shows a room where she made it work for her and it works well in her space.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    uh.............. I'd skip it. An unnecessary doo dad. The space above tv needs nothing.

  • 9 years ago

    It is outdated. The space above your TV doesn't need any attention drawn to it.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I think your room looks perfect and doesn't need the scroll. I don't get the notion of things being dated and outdated. So what? Because something is not trendy does not mean it's wrong.

  • 9 years ago

    It is not outdated in my part of the country. The important thing is do you like it?

  • 9 years ago

    @athomeeileen I so agree with your comment. Some twisted combination of Renovation TV, and an economy of planned obsolesence, has created a culture of disposable design. People confuse "not trendy" with "out of date".

  • 9 years ago

    I wonder what isn't dated these days....just seems like everything is - except gray....in any event - you don't need it there, but it might look good somewhere else in your home.

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you all SO much!! And your right, if you love something it doesn't matter if it's outdated or not trendy. I loved it when I bought it 12 years ago but tastes do change and that's ok. I was feeling like since I had it in storage I should use it. So I've decided no scroll. I'll ask around to see if a family member wants to put it to good use:).

  • 9 years ago

    Not a matter of dated or not, that's irrelevant, I just think your room looks great without it, nothing needed above the television. Maybe use it elsewhere?

  • 9 years ago

    I agree with others that your room is nicely appointed. Doesn't need anything else. A fiddle leaf fig always gets my vote!

  • 9 years ago
    Your room is so nice and cozy. I like to change out wall art every now and then. Maybe you can switch it out somewhere....
  • 9 years ago

    I don't know what that scroll originally was, but it looks like something that Marshall's sells for $9.95. If it's real and has some significance, use it some place (but not above the TV). If it came from a décor store by way of China or Vietnam, pitch it in the recycling bin.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Hello. Yes, it will well look

  • 9 years ago
    Or Hobby Lobby or Michael's....ugh.

    When my daughter was in school and had a project and needed some art supplies for it, I'd just give her my credit card and wait in the car....I couldn't even stand to go into Michael's

    I had lots of stuff I liked 12 yrs ago, but not now....I like your idea of passing it on.....

    I think a lot of us hold onto things just because we bought them on sale, or on a trip or they were a gift.....etc. I'm guilty of that....

    Your room is great and looks very comfortable as is....
  • 9 years ago

    Touch of class sells a lot of scrolls, so it could have come from there. There's so many things that look like they come from one place but really did not..... www.touchofclass.com

  • 9 years ago

    It is a real rod iron scroll bought years ago at an antique fair and yes, passing it on.

  • 9 years ago
    I think you meant wrought iron...
  • 9 years ago

    I wouldn't mind it... depends how full your other walls are. Maybe a rub n buff product to add smudges of lighter color [not light, just lighter]

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Pass it on, or add it to the landfill. No WONDER the landfills are full, and the word signs will be the next to pile up en masse amid the rubble of instant design solutions to a bare spot. Keep the bare spot : ) Please.

    Great design is not what you add, it is what you remove.........and no that does not mean minimalist decor. It means no junk.

  • 9 years ago

    Jan: Amen! Those word signs are no position to know.